NGD - Went to the beach today. Came home with a well-endowed 30-year-old brunette.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by SixStringSlinger, Sep 7, 2019.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I found this Bigsby-fied Squier Tele on Craigslist. Cost me $150 and a 2.5 hour drive each way, but given that my only other options for a Tele w. Bigsby are a Fender (expensive), a Cabronita (not into it) or installing a Bigsby myself (not out of the question, but intimidating), I'd say it was worth it.

Enough talk, time for pics!

unnamed.jpg unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-4.jpg

According to the seller, it's a 1989 MIK, though I can't find a serial no. anywhere to verify that. The Bigsby is not stock, but it appears to have been installed very competently and works great.

I haven't played it plugged in much, but it sounds dandy. A little softer than my MIM Tele, which makes sense given the Bigsby versus my MIM's though-body. It plays nice, though I need to string it and set it up with my preferred 10's (looks like the seller likes 9's). There were a couple of shims in the neck pocket. I have a slightly fatter Stew Mac one lying around that I'm going to put on instead. I didn't notice any buzz problems with the bridge, but the slight extra shimming and fatter strings will make sure of it. Probably put a touch more twang into it, as well.

My idea is to make this into an Esquire. At this point I'm sure I'll be replacing all the pots, wiring etc., as well as getting a new pickguard with no neck pup hole. We'll see if the pickup stays or not.

I'm in the middle of taking it apart, cleaning it and generally assessing it. More pics to come later.

Thanks for all the info./advice on my previous posts on this guitar!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    PeterUK, howardlo, Treynor and 16 others like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

The most important part the pictures didn’t show up ;)

Sounds cool though

3. SixStringSlinger

You can tell I hardly post pics. Fixed!

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Well that certainly looks like a nice tele especially with the tort guard, classy

5. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

..so you bought a Bigsby and you got a free guitar nice deal very classy:cool:

howardlo and SixStringSlinger like this.
  6. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Be sure to check out the 'modified Eldred mod' on the internet. Made mine using a DiMarzio Area Hot T pickup and that wiring and love the sound in that mod switch position!

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

Outstanding catch young man! Oy!

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

I know of the Eldred mod, and it's one option I'm considering. Is the "modified Eldred mod" something different from that?

9. SixStringSlinger

Thank you! A Bisby'd Tele has been rolling 'round my head for a while now, so I figured this was my shot. So long as the trem was in good shape and installed well, almost nothing else would have mattered. I'm glad it seems alright overall.

10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Where's that beach!?!?!?!?!!?!

Congrats. She's fun beaut, for sure.

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you went to get it 6.

12. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Yes the 'modified Eldred mod' is different from the 'Eldred mod'. Mine goes from clean to the most amazing growl with just a switch position change. Really cool!

13. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

30 is the new 19.

Pure sex.

14. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

cool

15. SixStringSlinger

Thanks in part to your prodding!

RodeoTex likes this.
  16. SixStringSlinger

Looks to me like the rear switch position is wired straight to the jack, bypassing the volume, and maybe a different value capacitor for the forwardmost position?

17. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Whoa! That is gorgeous! Those MIK Squiers are really special. The next ‘JV’ Squiers, in my opinion. I have two MIK Fenders (early 2000s) and they are at least on par with my AM Standard Tele.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. SixStringSlinger

I took her apart last night and gave her a good cleaning. My impressions first, followed by more pics.

I'm not experienced at judging "vintage" (heh) guitars, but considering she's 30 years old and has been modded and played throughout her life, I'd say she's in pretty good condition. I thought she looked good before, she looks even better now.

It looks to me like she originally had a top-loading bridge. You can see the original mounting holes, but no string-through holes.

The pickguard is clearly also not original. You can see the old and new mounting holes right next to each other.

I'll be replacing all the electronic bits (save for the pickup; I'm reserving judgment on that for now). They seem to work, so I may keep them as emergency spares or just to screw with, but they look rough and new ones are too cheap not to go ahead and replace it all.

Not sure what to do about the jack cup. You can see 3 screws holding it in. I was going to get one of the Rutters shallow cups like on my MIM Tele (I like using right-angle plugs at the guitar end, and the deep cups make that difficult), but I don't want to just leave those screw holes there. Maybe a jack plate instead?

Speaking of that area, you can see the only part of actual damage on the guitar near the jack. Looks like she was dropped and the finish got cracked. Cosmetically, it doesn't really bother me. But there is potential there for more of the finish to chip off. Any ideas on how to bandage that up to prevent further damage?

Most of the metal parts look good, apart from the jack cup I already said I'm going to replace. I'm going to replace the control plate, as well. The Bigsby, bridge, bridge plate, neck pickup cover and tuners all look alright.

Speaking of the tuners, I'm not too sure about them. They seem to work fine, so they'll stay for now. If I replace them later it may just be for looks. But the weird look of the tuners is also part of her charm, so we'll see.

Not much to say besides that. I'll polish the frets later and put her back together and put her through her paces.

Now for pics!

unnamed.jpg unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-4.jpg unnamed-5.jpg unnamed-6.jpg unnamed-7.jpg unnamed-8.jpg unnamed-9.jpg unnamed-10.jpg

19. SixStringSlinger

I forgot to mention, I may also replace the bridge with the adjustable-radius Mustang-ish one on my Jazzmaster, just for the cleaner looks. But this one seems alright, so another non-urgent maybe future mod.

unnamed-11.jpg unnamed-12.jpg unnamed-13.jpg

hemmings likes this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

score! that was a great era for the squier!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.