NGD: Went for a Tele, came home with a Lester

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Lunchie, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I said very recently that I was going to get a AM Telecaster Standard when my stuff sold. I also said that thanks to my Epiphone Joe Bonamassa I don't have Les Paul GAS and probably never own a Gibson. Well, two wrongs make a right, right!? :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2011 Gibson Studio Tribute 60's that, as you can see, has been heavily modded. Its got Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90s, Bigsby, upgraded Tuners and a really nice shiney new Gibby HSC. Its really clean, only a couple of small dings here and there and next to no wear.

The pickups are what really sold me. Clean they are so chimey and sweet, hit the Distortion and it melts your face off. The one downside is they are incredibly microphonic so I don't think I will be able to gig it in front of a crowd of 150,000 :D.

The first thing I did when I got it home was put a fresh set of strings on it. Well, I've never changed the strings on a Bigsby before, I said some really bad words to say the least. I did get the hang of it after the first couple, but it took me a bit of time to get there.

2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Congrats, nice lester.
    I Got a gold top in this series, I packed some foam under the bridge pup to help with the microphonic prob.

3. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

congrats, you have your tonal pallet set now. :D
    just noticed your comment on changing strings. yeah iv never owned a bigsby before. id probably say way more &&& words than you did. im sure, and of course id break that one string i did not have a spare of.
    chris.

4. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

I got my first Bigsby guitar earlier this year and I agree about the string changes. I had nightmares about what would happen if I broke a string on stage. Last week I got a Vibramate Spoiler. It's a cool little piece of kit that solves the string changing problem and as an added bonus it also makes the trem a bit more responsive with more range, which I like. It cost about $30, which seemed a bit much for a bent piece of metal, but I can't argue with the results.

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's a nice enough guitar, I guess. It looks a lot like my M75. :D

I use bits of masking tape to hold the strings on the Bigsby pegs until they've got enough tension on them that they stay put. I've been tempted to order a Spoiler, but tape is cheap... :lol:

6. dsginzen

dsginzen Tele-Meister

I put a bigsby on a tele before this internet business. Eventually figured to bend the ball end.

But even that still makes me want to throw it off a building. A nice, tall, angry building.

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nice. I did that too several years ago...went to Guitar Center, cash in hand, fully intending to buy a Nocaster, but bought a Historic 54 gold top LP. Great guitar, that I still have, even though I have moved many guitars since then.

8. Lunchie

I still have two guitars on consignement that when they sell could get me into a Baja pretty comfortably. But, something else will probably come along...

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Been playing over 30 years and didn't get a P-90/Bigsby guitar till late last year.
    P90s are very cool indead !
    The ones in my guitar are some real touch sensitive pickups. The fella that did the refret said the same thing.

Anyway sweet guitar ! (wish my lester had P90s)

10. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

An LP with a pair of P 90s is a nice guitar to have. Congrats !

11. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I hate stringing Bigsbys. They're all gone now despite loving the way they sound.

My method involved pre-bending the ball end, loading and pulling the string, then applying a capo to keep some tension on while futzing with the tuner end. Repeat for the next string. Still, it takes forever, you have a few false starts and just gets frustrating.

There is nothing that compares to their smooth, expressive wobble.

P.

12. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

If you don't want to go the locking tuners route, a strip of electrician's tape was a great way to keep the ball ends in place.

13. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Neil Young never let that microphonic thing get between him and a crowd of 150,000 :p

Congrats on the score. There's no way I would have left that guitar hanging on the wall.

14. Lunchie

It survived the guitar lesson from hell :lol:. I had to do a double make up lesson plus my normal lesson today and I took it along. It had everything from traditional Chinese and Japanese music to Bad Company thrown at it today and passed with flying colors :D. When I say I play everything....

15. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking about a Bigsby myself. Also considering a Vibramate Spoiler, or one of these:

[​IMG]
    http://www.callahamguitars.com/#up_kit_big

This just seems like the way they should be made. But I've never owned a Bigsby, so... we'll see.

16. Jeff R

Jeff R Tele-Holic

Nice score. Now you just need to put a Firebird pup in the bridge, grab a tweed deluxe, and rip into Cinnamon Girl the way it was meant to be played.

Congrats, she's a beauty.

17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

If you don't already own a Bigsby, have a look at the Duesenberg trems.
    they seem to have taken the design to a higher level.
    I like the Vibramate Spoiler though. that's a good upgrade for an existing Bigsby.

18. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

On the even brighter side...now, you can legitimately still want that Tele!

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Beautiful guitar! Congratulations.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.