NGD! Washburn something. Stage series. Mystery. Could be a '79 serial number? odd details. Project.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by GreenMagicMan, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

Had one like this except it had a vibrato bridge the crazy thing about these is the neck is cut different on the treble side. Wish I still had it. It was my main guitar in my first gigging band in the early 80`s. I think my pedal board was a noise gate a graphic eq and a flanger.

2. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

@Tubeboy
    i had the model showed in the picture.
    at some time i had some kind of crisis and smashed it against the wall with a crack almost in the mid off the body and 1 across the control cave.
    this let to my new hobby, repairing damaged guitars.
    broke the body in halve, and glued it back again, sanded it down complete and made my own color.

but heck, i was completly into Clapton with his August album, sold the guitar to someone that was planning to make it a lefty.
    man i am sorry that i sold it.
    ergonomic it is a great guitar.

@GreenMagicMan
    as i remember, there were Dimarzio's in there.

i now see, correct me if i am wrong, that your from the Netherlands, Right?

personal i would not want a dimarzio (because i am a huge Lawrence fan) and with this guitar i would go for a L90 ore L500 XL and use the serie/parallel function if it would be a 1 pickup guitar.

but hey, what do you play, what musicale favor do you have.
    there are some good reviews on donlis pickups, and maybe there would be some good budget models?
    here on TDPRI are some that they come close to SD pickups

3. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

double post

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  4. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

No I'm from the USA Saratoga Springs N.Y.. I'm a classic rock fan Led Zeppelin, Rush, UFO, Scorpions. I have about 15 guitars by Gibson, Fender,Paul Reed Smith,EVH,Yamaha and Epiphone. My main amp is a Kemper Powerhead even though I own or have owned many tube amps. I definitely embrace the new technology. Here are some of my guitars.

Attached Files:

Zepfan likes this.
  5. GreenMagicMan

GreenMagicMan Tele-Meister

Hey hopdybob. Thanks for all the suggestions. I have, in fact, lived in Holland for a number of summers, and some other visits during the year. Goedemiddag! (Please Excuse my poor dutch - haha).
    I know a lot of the dirty Dutch words, I can count and more or less get by with some very very poor dutch. Like, I can read menus fine, and that's mostly my extent.
    I once shipped a motorcycle to Holland and rode it around all summer. The license plates said "NH" only on it. I got puzzled looks everywhere I went. Everyone addressed me all the time in Dutch - because I look Dutch.
    I'm also tall - like your countrymen - and ergonomics are more important to me (although with some occasional RSI wrist pain but it's minor now).
    If a guitar is a royal pain to play - I'm not going to be spending much time with it all anymore.

I have so much to learn about guitars and their parts and pickups.
    So far the very best sound I have in my arsenal is again - the guitars on the left (my avatar). I should just go ahead and make a post on those soon.
    The "V" has "Select" EMG pickups, they are black covered with 6 screws each - I don't know a lot about them. They sound pretty darn good to me. Like 8/10 (?) Maybe they're as good as anything out there to my ear - I am not sure.
    The Explorer has Duncan Designed pickups. Which I know are controversial but I think I have the earlier higher quality ones. That one sounds to my ear - perfect. When I bought them I had them on a clean amp setting on a Fender Mustang IV 200W amp and it sounded like heaven clean.

I want more DIRT! lol. I bought a D.O.D. Boneshaker (crunching well reviewed distortion pedal I heard on Andertons top metal pedal YouTube review - that episode Chapman is hilarious in btw) but haven't had the best results with very limited experiments on the settings (currently it's not running with 9VDC batteries, and I made a reverse polarity 9VDC wall wart plug in and it has constant loud hum. So not using it currently. I may have damaged it by running the hot lead in the center just like how every engineer on earth intended it - lol - I had no idea most pedals want reversed polarity on the plug).

And I have no amps right now. Just clean through expensive-ish home stereo setups with either a DI and Symetrix SX202 pre amp to an NAD receiver and crappy speakers (my setup for the Explorer at other place), and a Kenwood preamp / receiver stack with matching Kenwood 12" speaker and an ART Dual MP 2 channel tube microphone preamp acting as a DI interface as well. This setup sounds really really good for home stereo, so I am wanting to side by side my Explorer vs. V on this stack setup.

Very new current favorite song for sound is "Lucy's Ride" by Wooden Shjips.
    I am ex-metal head all the way. Fav band in high school was Iron Maiden. Megadeth, Metallica etc... but current favorite band is Radiohead - go figure eh? (Jonny Greenwood is the man!)
    I'm all over the map with music I love. But for guitar myself I want gorgeous clean but mostly a heavy Alice in Chains overdriven sound. I want the sound of Megadeth "Symphony for Destruction", Metallica "Master of Puppets" and I really like the guitar signature sound from Three Days Grace.
    So heavy distorted is what I would really like.

@Tubeboy , that's a pretty nice collection you have there! What's your favorite one or two of them all and why?

Mbechmann likes this.
  6. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

You are sort of right when you think of the A20. But thats the A20 that came in late 79 and forward. In early 79 the designs were not yet finalized which is why you find weird/odd cross overs when it comes to early 79.

Hehe well there is one difference. I am talking to the guy who designed and build these :). Thats how I know.

That neck difference is a Yamaki signatur design. Its called an asymmetric neck design. Its the one detail that I cant believe how many guitar designers today have completely overlooked. Its such a brilliant design, and it makes playing easier by a LOT.

ABSOLUTELY NOT THE RIGHT THING TO DO HERE. Sorry but I can not say this strongly enough. I would NOT sand the whole thing down to bare wood under ANY circumstance with this guitar.

Let me explain why. Think of this as a vintage car. How many vintage cars drop dramatically because people modified or customized it. The highest value you find on cars, are the 100% original ones. I can ask you another way. Would you modify or change a Telecaster from 1952 even if its broken? Or would you rebuild it as closely to original as possible? This is a collectible guitar, so please dont modify it, unless you have no other option.

Thats why you have to remember what you have here. You have is the second earliest Washburn A20 we know of. Keeping it as original as possible is where the value is. I can go to ebay and find a LOT of hack jobs or repainted bodies that came from extremely rare instruments - and they are now not worth 20$. You have to remember that the value on this guitar - as it is right now - is worth around 400-500$. The closer you can get it to original, the more value it will have. They tend to go for around 8-900$ in decent condition. Being this early I would not be surprised if you could sell it for over 1000$ if its repaired right.

What I would do, is to clean up the "Tele" electronics hole so its a nice edge all the way around. Than I would glue in a thin layer of wood to make it a solid top again.

I would also fill up the bridge and most likely also the neck cavities. Yes its not ideal for sound, but it does raise the value big time. That being said, the neck pickup, is the one modification that looks like it was done the earliest. Not sure that it was done at the factory but it is possible. So that one might be an idea to leave. But the bridge I would fill in for sure.

I am also not sure what I would about the pickup. Personally I would find an original one I think. I would not use a Dimarzio, but thats because its only 2 screw system. I would find a 3 screw system instead. Maybe an Ibanez Power Sustainer pickup. But I would try and find a 3 screw pickup for that middle position.

One of the things they did, was to use coil splitters. If thats done right, you will actually get a really good quality guitar that way. Thats why I know I would drill holes for 1 volume and 1 tone and 1 coil splitter switch. If you need a switch between neck and middle position, than use a push/pull volume. Thats what they used early on.

They would have look similar to this Scavenger here:

https://www.talkbass.com/attachments/image2-jpg.1139046/

The reason why this one is broken, is because having the jack on top was a bad design - which they realized quickly. I have actually seen somebody that pulled the whole jack out of the top - breaking the top ofcause. So they did move the jack to the edge in late 79.

I know that these repairs would mean you have to paint it - but I would ONLY paint the top. Absolutely nothing else. I would also try and match the color to the back and sides. But that would be all I would do.

As for the bridge. I am not sure they would have used a Wonderbar in 79. But they did use a Dive Bomber bridge. And those have a tendency to crack in the weirdest places. Those bridges are also went out of production because of that. So this would an upgrade that might have been done because of that. Would I try and find an original? Yes. But I might actually leave it like it is for now at least. A Wonderbar would still not be original and it might mean more modifications to the body - which is why I am not sure I would do that.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  7. Mbechmann

Hehe do you by any chance have a serial number of that A20 you owned? I should be able to provide you with more info on that even now after you sold it :).

As for Dimarzios. They are not. They are Dimarzios inspired pickups using a unique 3 screw system that was rarely used. Matsomuko used it from 72-74, and Yamaki used it from 77-84, Chushin used it from 77-87, and Ibanez used it on a very limited models. This is a unique detail that tells a LOT of history of the instrument right there.

That being said, I actually do agree that these pickups are the weakest part of the design. Thats also why I would find one with a 3 screw system and use that instead. I might even get one custom made to fit the original design.

8. GreenMagicMan

Thanks again so much for your comments and opinions!!
    I had been in agreement with you in fact. Yes. I thought about sanding it / making it uniform. But only very briefly - never seriously. I won't paint it. The paint on it is very good - it looks beautiful and it's original.
    Mbechmann... it's funny you mentioned cars! I know all too well about original paint and patina. I worked a lot associated with a classic sports car flipper so to speak who specializes in Porsches, Jags and MB from the 50s - 70s. The paint was sacred, and factory original was what made their value. (along with all original factory installed parts).
    I have been thinking about making some covers for now and putting off permanent woodwork. Covers from, um, just have to say it, polished diamond steel metal and grinding / sanding and padding it so it cannot scratch the paint. Just an idea. Maybe not a good one, but there I said it lol.
    I still think I will go for a different than stock pickup, but your suggestion to find 3 screw pickups is a good one as well.

9. Mbechmann

The other admin at the Daion/Yamaki/Washburn group would do exactly the same thing as you are considering. He would actually use an A15 as a template. I do like that idea actually. That would be the best compromise in this, I think :). You could do that, and keep the 3 pickup configuration where the neck and bridge are both single coil, and the middle is a 3 screw humbucker with split coils. That would make an interesting configuration.

As for vintage cars. You get it. I am glad :). I use to have my own company restoring VW Bugs. And yes, the original paint is sacred. I know that all too well :). I have had cars that sold for more with a crappy old paint, than a full restored car that was brand new from top to bottom. So yea, I know exactly what you mean - all too well :).
    original a15.jpg

10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

@Mbechmann
    i am with you that if you have the skills, restore the guitar would be the way to go.
    if the TS could wait, and could take the time to learn those skills and take the time to find missing parts, than that would be the best way to go ;)

on the other hand, live learnt me that value is not so much in the amount something is worth, but the amount of pleasure something gives, so mostly i don't restore, but rebuild to please
    like this one
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]

to bad i don't have any info about that guitar of but good to know you have so much info about these builds !!

Mbechmann likes this.
  11. Mbechmann

@hopdybob I do to some degree agree with you. But since I got my first Daion in 2007 - for roughly 80$ - that guitar has gone up in value. Its now worth 1200$ - and it might even be more since its one of 2 known to exist in that color and configuration. To me, that adds to the fun and appreciation of these instruments. I like knowing that I have something extremely rare, and extremely collectible.

But it is a balance as well. How to make these good and playable and keep the value. Thats the tricky balance to find. Thats also why the A15 idea might be the best option here :).

12. Mbechmann

@GreenMagicMan I have been talking to my friends about this one. One thing we are not 100% agreeing on is if this was indeed a top mounted jack or if the jack has been redrilled. The plate is not original. Yamaki didnt use those this early. But they did use the version on this link here. The counter sinked jack.

https://reverb.com/item/10049698-wa...ge-all-original-1-owner-original-hsc-receipts

By the way, did you notice the price it sold for? Thats for a flamed one owner, but much later than yours. Thats where the value are these days :).

13. GreenMagicMan

@Mbechmann that's quite a coincidence about the VW flipping. Boy, do I have some photos for you. (I also made some videos as well). I got taken in with a 1st Gen VW van in beautiful shape - mostly original - that had a Porsche engine in the back, so, you know, it actually moved, lol! That one was sweet. I also did some associated work with a VW Truck. It turned out gorgeous with whole respray, and the model I shot with it was hot!

I treasure original things. I am not the bull in china shop type to stamp all over history. So with something like this, I feel obligated to keep it as correct and original as it can - while making it a player for me.
    The A15 with pickguard type of treatment look is a very sensible idea.
    I will, as @hopdybob, suggests, also take my time and see about getting parts into it that make sense / are close to original. And yes, I have a lot of tools and knowledge at my disposal so I can cut and shape metal and wood no problem. I've been working with wood as a side hobby my whole life. I've made many things and repaired many things and fabricated parts for motorcycles and camera gear etc...

For now, I want at least one pickup in it soon that I will be able to swap out (therefore do no cutting / mods to install anything). And get at least basic pots / wiring / output jack going so I can play it while I plot the strategy long term. I would bet I'll plop in a good pickup, whether it's single or even a HB style at the existing bridge hole for now... play it... and then maybe pull it for when I can come across some 3 screw pickups / vintage washies etc...
    I'm currently working on two cars right now (my main and my neo hippie van haha) so that's taking up my engineering energy at moment.

14. GreenMagicMan

The output 1/4" jack area, well, obviously it's all new wood that's been cut there or enlarged at least. So hard to know if it had a jack there originally and someone just bored it out more (?)
    Without even playing it, this guitar has vaulted to my #2 favorite guitar. I'll have to play it side by side to my Explorer sometime for the real contest, heh. (And that's near 100% certain a Matsumoku vintage MIJ Explorer copy with a completely unique headstock).

It's taken awhile for me to figure out anything about this Washburn neck profile / shape - like what it is. It feels great and nothing like any other guitar I own or have ever run my hands over.
    I think, it may be that asymetrical type you are referring to.
    It doesn't particularly look like a 'V' or deep 'V' shape to my eye, but I maybe don't really know how pronounced they are.
    I know that the slim taper C necks that Ibanez puts out are not really my bag. I've got a Gio with that and it's too small for my hands to feel just right.

15. Mbechmann

@GreenMagicMan First, I think its the right call with this guitar. Doing it right always is :).

As for VW. I like those old vans a LOT. I like them a LOT more than busses actually. I have owned 2 vans - incl a chopped van which I thought looked really really cool.

D.JPG

I also think you will like something my brother and I worked on 8 years ago - and was forced to sell when he moved to Dublin, and I had black mold in the house. So we had a bit of unfinished business with that one.

Now 1 months ago, we were offered to buy it back. Its a VW Safari. Its a super rare Danish car. Only 589 were ever build - and only 61 of the Type 2 with the long "bed". This one is a long bed :).

The picture is from 9 years ago. Its not in the same condition now. It might be a 3-5 year project, but its still really really cool that its coming home again. The motor we want in it, is going to be a 1600 single ported, single carb engine. It will be raised as much as possible :).

Safari.JPG

Zepfan likes this.
  16. GreenMagicMan

Yeah, that's awesome! It reminds me of a VW "Thing" as it was called over here anyway.
    I gotta go get that truck picture I shot...
    Oh and I don't want to ruffle feathers... Can I post a 'hot chick' model next to this VW van? She's not wearing a swimsuit, just a really tight little sparkly dress.

Zepfan likes this.
  17. Mbechmann

I dont know to be honest. I think it might be against the rules somehow. I would check that before you post it :).

As for the Thing. Thats actually called a Hunting wagon here. Or a 181 :). There is 1 major difference between the 2. The VW Safari is fiberglass. And it looks a lot more like a Willys Jeep than a Thing :).

These are the short version of it. Its clear to see that ours is much longer :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.
  18. GreenMagicMan

That thing is a scream. I don't think I have ever seen one before anywhere.

19. Mbechmann

Its rare - even in Denmark. And its extremely rare if you compare to a normal production car. The one we own now, use to have a Golf 2 motor in it. So it was fast since it was light weight. But its also not very well balanced. Too heavy in the back. Thats why we wanna put a 1600 engine in it instead. Better balance :).

The car was build by a Danish guy called Bent Due. They produced up to 14 cars a month from late 70s-87. All in all 589 was produced and 61 of those are the long bed. I like the long beds a LOT.

20. GreenMagicMan

Those are low numbers. I wonder how many survivors there are?
    Do you guys salt your roads like we do in the northeast and most of America?
    California bans road salt - so their cars are often rust free and brilliant. They've become coveted worldwide due to that fact.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.