1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - Washburn Acoustic

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by joealso, Oct 22, 2020.

1. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I stopped by the local pawn shop and picked up a 2002 Washburn D12ST acoustic for $110 and a free gig bag. Made in China. I don't know anything about Washburns but it seems the D is for Dreadnaught and the ST is for Solid Top. It has a cheap tuner built into the shoulder. It's in very good shape, comfortable neck and sounds nice for the money. The action is a bit high but I haven't decided if I want to have it set up and lowered or if I want to leave it high and dedicate it to open tuning slide work. Does anyone have any experience with these?

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

How is the neck angle? 18 years is starting to get to the point where I worry.

I'll add that I play slide on almost everything I own and only the resonators are set up any higher than normal, and not much for them. Lap style is different of course, but for Spanish play I don't feel any need for high action.

3. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I was happily surprised to see that the neck is very straight. The only thing I haven't done is verify that the truss rod works but, as I said, the neck looks good. No need to adjust the truss rod.

4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Spruce Top?

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

That is not what I was talking about. You said the guitar has a high action, most of the time in an older guitar that is caused by the neck angle gradually changing over the years. You lower the saddle a little, make it playable, it gets high again, you lower the saddle....

The truss rod sets the relief. It might affect the action but that is not its function.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.