NGD - vm squier tele, made in india ‘07

owlexifry

Tele-Meister
never expected to end up with one of these, but after repairing a les paul for my brother, he decided to give me this tele.
it was dusty and covered in crap and so i just gave it a quick clean up with a rag and some metho

BCEB60EC-6AFF-43B0-814C-C3975D3C7988.jpeg

(it didn’t have any knobs on it, so i slapped on these spare LPC style knobs)

looks like it’s a vintage modified squier tele, made in india, 2007

bridge pickup
C2ACFDC8-33D9-48AA-94A3-697EDCEAC5F6.jpeg

neck pickup
86FC6DD2-41A9-4FEF-94D7-9AE18A2C4E25.jpeg

- pickups sound pretty good.

- neck feels great (can’t really notice any difference from a fender mexican i had a couple years ago)

- and that metallic finish..
3DC93BCD-4BFF-4DE6-8BE7-3B8F4E94193F.jpeg

not bad for a freebie 😅

Last edited:

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
never expected to end up with one of these, but after repairing a les paul for my brother, he decided to give me this tele.
it was dusty and covered in crap and so i just gave it a quick clean up with a rag and some metho

View attachment 1011883

(it didn’t have any knobs on it, so i slapped on these spare LPC style knobs)

looks like it’s a vintage modified squier tele, made in india, 2007

bridge pickup
View attachment 1011884

neck pickup
View attachment 1011885

- pickups sound pretty good.

- neck feels great (can’t really notice any difference from a fender mexican i had a couple years ago)

- and that metallic finish..
View attachment 1011887

not bad for a freebie 😅
Funky cool. A black pickup ring would look nice on the pickguard, but definitely keep the knobs. And you literally just blew my mind with the multimeter/short cable "trick"; I thought you had to do it off of the pickup leads, which is totally illogical and makes no sense.

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
There was a Vintage Modified Strat in a similar color also made in that same factory from 2007-2009. It was made from Indian Cedar, and was a very well made instrument. If it was anything to go by, then it's a shame Fender didn't keep making guitars in India.
Congrats.

owlexifry

Tele-Meister
Looks great, congrats. Nice reward! I agree with the others, a black pickup ring would be just the thing to cap it off.
Funky cool. A black pickup ring would look nice on the pickguard, but definitely keep the knobs. .
haha thanks, there's something black coming soon and its not a pickup ring..... (esquire guard)

you literally just blew my mind with the multimeter/short cable "trick"; I thought you had to do it off of the pickup leads, which is totally illogical and makes no sense.
technically it would be 'more accurate' to go straight off the pickup leads, but in reality the difference isn't enough to even bother, so for me, a quick measurement off the jack tip is good enough.

There was a Vintage Modified Strat in a similar color also made in that same factory from 2007-2009. It was made from Indian Cedar, and was a very well made instrument. If it was anything to go by, then it's a shame Fender didn't keep making guitars in India.
Congrats.
indian cedar hey? how's that for unique... (vs the usual ash or alder)

i agree, this seems very well made.

It looks pretty cool.
Looks great, congratulations to you.
cheers!

Nice! All nice, and the knobs!
hell yeah, actually surprised how well the knobs suit this.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
Indian red cedar is really in the pseudo mahogany family.

The Indian VMs are some of the best kept secrets of all things Fender. The SSH is a keeper, too, once you fix the out of phase pickup issue.

stock Vintage Modified:

Mason.jpg

modified Vintage Modified:

20210908_122535.jpg

Last edited:

owlexifry

Tele-Meister

The Indian VMs are some of the best kept secrets of all things Fender. The SSH is a keeper, too, once you fix the out of phase pickup issues
pseudo mahogany hey... works for me.

ahh nice - is that a mini-HB or a FB-style neck pickup?

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
pseudo mahogany hey... works for me.

ahh nice - is that a mini-HB or a FB-style neck pickup?
It's the stock Duncan Designed mini humbucker, which my understanding is that it's just a licensed built version of the SM-1N by Seymour Duncan. The middle and bridge pickups are stacked Duncan Designed as well and the guitar is dead quiet.

owlexifry

Tele-Meister
It's the stock Duncan Designed mini humbucker, which my understanding is that it's just a licensed built version of the SM-1N by Seymour Duncan. The middle and bridge pickups are stacked Duncan Designed as well and the guitar is dead quiet.
sweet as :cool:
for a neck pickup, i reckon that's a lot more appropriate / cooler than a full size HB

i was surprised to find out the bridge pickup in this one is also meant to be one of those stacked single coils, but sadly it's as noisy as any other single coil (but its ok, im gonna be routing this for a HB soon anyway)

Nitro

TDPRI Member

The Indian VMs are some of the best kept secrets of all things Fender. The SSH is a keeper, too, once you fix the out of phase pickup issue.

stock Vintage Modified:

View attachment 1015240

modified Vintage Modified:

View attachment 1015255
I have that same one. Mine is an ‘08. Hands down the most beautiful neck I own. Made a mistake and traded it to a good friend and have since traded back. Only to find the truss rod nut had been stripped😟. And cannot seem to find out for sure what the correct thread pitch is to order a new one. So , next best thing, I bought “the gripper” tool from stewmac and never worried over it again.
What did you do to fix the out of phase middle pickup issue? Ive thought more than once about removing it all together and replacing the guard but would rather keep it stock if I can. Thanks

Attachments

• 497655E1-A0FB-4960-8CE0-9083249CFB6C.jpeg
    497655E1-A0FB-4960-8CE0-9083249CFB6C.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 20
  • CE254B52-811B-4055-98EC-FEBFC1C6E7B8.jpeg
    CE254B52-811B-4055-98EC-FEBFC1C6E7B8.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DB8CA75E-3AD5-4B9F-B08C-3A02745BBC5B.jpeg
    DB8CA75E-3AD5-4B9F-B08C-3A02745BBC5B.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 20

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
I have that same one. Mine is an ‘08. Hands down the most beautiful neck I own. Made a mistake and traded it to a good friend and have since traded back. Only to find the truss rod nut had been stripped😟. And cannot seem to find out for sure what the correct thread pitch is to order a new one. So , next best thing, I bought “the gripper” tool from stewmac and never worried over it again.
What did you do to fix the out of phase middle pickup issue? Ive thought more than once about removing it all together and replacing the guard but would rather keep it stock if I can. Thanks
It's actually the bridge that's out of phase, but I obviously made some other wiring changes, too.

This is how I flipped it:

20191124_131828.jpg
20191124_131521.jpg

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
The quilting on that neck is gorgeous, and glad you got the truss rod figured out. I noticed mine can be a bear to turn. I wonder if I can get some lube past the nut to the threads?

Nitro

TDPRI Member
Its just a barrel nut with a plastic washer behind it. Im just not having luck finding actual specs for the thread pitch. I was sceptical about the stew mac tools , but they did work as advertised. And once set to the relief I wanted it has remained. Id just really rather have a good clean nut on it.

Nitro

TDPRI Member
I’ll have to post better pics sometime of that neck. Those really dont show it off.