1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD! VM Jag content and other observations

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bobandy, May 3, 2017.

1. Bobandy

Bobandy TDPRI Member

Was supposed to sell my EHX Hog pedal to help fund a new car. Made all sorts of promises to myself that this time I would actually sell my gear and not trade it. I don't need another guitar, pedal, or amp. This time would be different I told myself. Obviously this is a NGD thread so you already know how that turned out. I have been wanting an offset guitar ever since borrowing a friends Fender custom shop Jag and when the gentleman offered me a surf green Squier VM Jaguar that he modified, I couldn't say no. I am really liking this guitar so far, so easy to play. The guy that sold it to me runs a vintage guitar shop that specializes in offsets and it came set up beautifully with 11's on it. The previous owner replaced the bridge with a tune-o-matic and swapped the tremolo plate for a custom plate that for all intents and purposes turns the guitar into a hard tail. I have read so many horror stories about trying to setup and intonate these guitars with the bridge and tremolo the way that they are and this was done beautifully. Thankfully, I was given the old parts in case I want to change it back to stock but I am going to play it like this for awhile and find out what I like/don't like and see if theres any changes I'd like to make. The guitar is set up for 11's which I understand is the way to go for short scale guitars. I plan on changing the strings because why not, but was wondering if anyone has any brands of strings that they prefer on their jag's or short scale guitars and why do you prefer them? I thought about going with something pure nickel but not sure yet. I put some Thomastik Infeld's on my Agile LP copy a few months ago and they are by far the smoothest strings I have ever used and still feel brand new even after 10-15 hours of playing per week. I will consider putting some TI's on this jag but want to make sure I am 100% on the string gauge and string material before I commit that much. Any other mods or suggestions for Jags anyone can give me? The bridge pickup has been replaced with a Seymour Duncan hot jag pickup which I am really liking so far and may consider replacing the neck pickup with the same model unless there are better options out there in the same price range. I can already see that I wont get much use out of the rhythm circuit and wonder if there are any wiring mods that I can do that make that more useable? maybe make the thumb wheels into individual volume pots for the pickups and make the lower knobs into tone pots? Right now I am just goin to play the crap out of this and enjoy it while trying not to think about the fact that I am taking the bus to work every day because I don't have a car (but at least I have 3 guitars!). I also learned the hard way about leaning and offset guitar against a couch. Thankfully the carpet broke the fall and everything seems alright.

2. Mxrk

Mxrk Tele-Meister

That tremolo/hardtail plate is terrific

studio1087 likes this.
  3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice.
    Happy New Guitar Day!

4. Bobandy

Bobandy TDPRI Member

While not practical, the idea of a bigsby is interesting.

6stringcowboy likes this.
  5. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

The tremolo is one of the best things about these guitars. I'd put the original parts back on.

beyer160 likes this.
  6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks nice. I too like the hardtail plate. I'm of the group that would tell the horror stories about trying to intonate those tremolos. I like what you have there.

7. tahoebob54

tahoebob54 Tele-Holic

I got a great deal on a Squire VM jaguar from local pawn shop.it came with Duncan Designed Humbuckers that sounded just so so. My LP also has HB's that sound great so something had to give. I replaced the pups with a set GF P90's it is now just a fun guitar to play and realy screamed rock ad roll now.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.