NGD - Vintera Road Worn 50s Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DAKnox, Aug 27, 2021.

1. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Just took delivery of this - a 2021 model, so not much to report on the playability etc. yet (I'll check back in once I've had time to play it). Other than, to me, the neck feels pretty hefty. Certainly noticed when I muted the E and A string with my thumb to play an open D chord!

They are around £1k new here in the UK, and I picked this up for £660 with a nice padded gig bag. It seems virtually unplayed, although that could be hard to tell for sure haha

To my eyes relicing is just enough, quite subtle mostly, but close up, looks excellent. Seems pretty realistic to me...

20210827_115459.jpg 20210827_115711.jpg 20210827_122346.jpg 20210827_122355.jpg 20210827_122359.jpg

2. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Nice. I bought a vintera stratbody and the guitar turned out great. Really resonant.

3. Spankie

Spankie TDPRI Member

Never really understood why you (not you, personally) would spend an extra premium for a new guitar to look beat up. Personal preference I guess but I don't get it.
    Anyway, congrats on the new Tele.

4. NatillasdeMuertos

NatillasdeMuertos TDPRI Member

It’s more feel than looks. Like a broken in pair of jeans. Don’t really have that worry about the first ding and babying it either until then.

Doesn’t hurt any resale needs either. Bit harder for someone to turn up, kick the tyres a bit and go looking hard for reasons to offer less.

5. NatillasdeMuertos

Happy NGD, paid pretty much full retail for mine after trying one with the intention of shopping around but it just had that bit of something to it. £660 really is excellent the way prices are right now.

6. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

Happy NGD! It's beautiful!

... though I must dig in at the anti-relicing camp.
    I could rant for hours about why relicing shouldn't exist, but I'll just stick to the short version: IT'S FAKE!!! :mad:

Now that I've rained enough on your parade, please let me reinstate my claim that despite my stance on relicing, the guitar is beautiful!

Happy NGD! :)

Zoot Zoot and Telefan65 like this.
  7. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Well I like it a lot and I want one. I like the relic if it is not extreme. I could see Bare Knuckle pickups in this guitar.

8. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice! Looks like a match for my Vintera RW Deluxe!

9. SmokinJoe992

SmokinJoe992 TDPRI Member

My thoughts exactly. Great looking guitar.

TelePlank likes this.
  10. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

For me, the extra premium was really more for the nitro finish. In fact it's the fact that these are less beat up than the previous ones that have tempted me. I'm happy that the relic job is much more subtle than the earlier versions. What would I have to pay to get a nitro guitar without the relicing? There was the Classic Series lacquer ones, priced similarly to this but they are few and far between. Then you would probably be looking further up the USA line into quite big bucks (relatively). I just wanted to see what the nitro thing was all about, and this scratches this itch (and others!). So far...what is the nitro thing about? Well right away, poly feels like a plastic shell compared to this which feels like a thin paint. More of a natural feel. Some of the desire is admittedly, well this is how they were in the old days. And there's nothing wrong with that. And I'm not criticising poly either. It's just different. I have poly guitars that are going nowhere.

11. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

haha I know, I know, but in fairness it's the fact it's less reliced than the earlier ones that attracted me. I wanted to try the nitro and a "worn in" neck moreso than the dings etc. But I have to be honest I think the dings and checking looks great.

TelePlank, ratdoc and Skyhook like this.
  12. NatillasdeMuertos

Same really with nitro being a part of why I went roadworn, along with the worn in neck (I would have compromised on this but slight preference). By the time I’d gone through specs I wanted that were must have and compromised where I was willing a road worn was actually the cheaper option. There’s a couple of years in it as opposed to being a direct buy/sell but my RW has effectively replaced my AV52.

I've said before and elsewhere re relics I don’t see it as paying more because I buy guitars based on what they are as a whole. Relic isn’t a must have nor a mustn’t for me personally. It’s lower down the list of factors than colour for starters

DAKnox likes this.
  13. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

HNGD! Yours is the sister to mine. Same guitar, different color. I love mine, the neck finish is delightful. Enjoy!

TelePlank and DAKnox like this.
  14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Hngd, great looker, congratulations.

TelePlank and DAKnox like this.
  15. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. I think with a relic guitar we can get hung up on only talking about the relic. But this has great specs. I've been thoroughly enjoying the short time I've had with it.

It has tall vintage frets...a really nice combination that. The chunky neck feels great. Its so well put together. And a really warm but snappy set of pickups.

Regardless of the love/hate thing with the relics (I'm on the love side) this is a lovely combination of specs. I'd encourage anyone to at least try.

TelePlank and MilwMark like this.
  16. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think they're very nice guitars, congrats. Looks very authentic to my eye and despite not being a huge fan of relics I'd be proud to own that guitar. Play it in good health.

17. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Happy NGD. As the owner of a CS heavy relic and a few guitars showing signs of wear from me, the only thing that counts is how YOU feel about it. Happy NGD.

SnidelyWhiplash and ratdoc like this.
  18. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Lets not forget it wasn't 'bedroom poseurs' who started the push for artificial aging and relic work, it was famous musicians who got sick of or nervous about touring with originals with skyrocketing scarcity and value and wanted a duplicate that not only sounded like the original but felt like it.

Happy NGD! If you love it who cares what some guys on the internet think.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  19. fasthand

fasthand Tele-Meister

I love it and congratulations on a fine looking piece
    To you haters go finish dying your hair and squeeze into your compression shorts so you don’t appear broken in and aged :p

DAKnox likes this.
  20. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.