1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - Vintera Road Worn 50s Telecaster Lake Placid Blue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jas24, Apr 17, 2021.

1. jas24

jas24 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

So, my first ever Tele has arrived!! Not only that, it’s the first ever Fender I’ve bough brand new!

I’m slightly lying with the New Gear Day part of the subject, it actually turned up in the middle of the week, but I’m just getting around to posting about it now.

To be honest I’m absolutely amazed it turned up. I ordered it for a crazy crazy low price (£720) in November from bax-music.co.uk, and the delivery date kept getting pushed further and further back - to the point where I thought they weren’t going to honour it. It was a ridiculously low price! I’d be amazed if anyone has bought a brand new one cheaper than that. I honestly thought they were stringing it out and eventually going to cancel as it was a pricing error or something. Very glad I held my nerve though.

I’m not usually a relic/road worn guy at all, but I’ve long wanted a nitro finished tele in LPB, and I couldn’t not buy at the price it was. I have to say now that it’s turned up, I’m liking the subtlety of the relic work. It looks and feels very authentic, down to the crazing and ageing of hardware. Although I feel that the stock bridge pup did look a bit brand new compared to the rest of the hardware!

Plus there’s something to be said for not having to worry as much about trying to baby the nitro finish! Don’t get me wrong though, I’ll still be getting the polish out now and again.

The funny thing is that before I spotted it on sale at that price, I was intending to go the partscaster route, and had already bought a 5 way wiring loom, plus some DP51 pickups from Monty’s Guitars here in the U.K.

I spent the first couple of days playing the guitar with the stock wiring and pups, and genuinely if I didn’t have another set lying around I wouldn’t have been desperate to change them. I was surprised how good and versatile the stock pickups are - you could absolutely live with them.

But, I love tinkering, so yesterday evening I decided to take the plunge and install the Monty’s 5 way wiring loom, and the DP51s. Whenever I install a new set of pickups I’m very rarely instantly sold, but this was one of those times. It just sounds amazing, and can cover a whole bunch of different tones really well, especially with the 5 way switching.

And despite it being a MIM guitar, it feels every bit as good to play as my other pride and joy, my US built AV65 Jazzmaster. In fact I’m slightly worried it’s outdone it with the new pickups!

Anyway, enough waffling from me - here’s some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Family photo time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

HNGD, looks great, congrats

Mr Scallywag, Fendereedo and jas24 like this.
  3. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

Looks killer! I just got a 60s modified Vintera Tele in Lake Placid Blue....best solid color for a Tele IMO. The Road Worn series is relicing done right.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Fendereedo and jas24 like this.
  4. jas24

jas24 TDPRI Member

Thanks, yeah I’ve read really good things about the Road Worn relicing, and it really is great and tastefully done.

Congrats on your NGD too! Yeah, I agree - Lake Placid Blue just works on a Tele.

Only dilemma I have currently is that I bought a single ply parchment guard from all parts that I was thinking I was going to throw on and never look back - I did put it on for a bit, but I’m kind of digging the black guard at the moment so went back to that. Also the screw holes don’t quite line up with the parchment guard, which is a tad frustrating… it fits though, just not quite as well!

Anyway thinking I’ll leave the black one on for now.

tele_paul and Fendereedo like this.
  5. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Super cool finish that might even look nicer with a simple (1-ply) white pickguard.

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice, the wear looks tastefully done. Congratulations.

jas24 likes this.
  7. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice catch!
    Can’t beat having a Tele and a Jazzmaster imho, and one of them being blue is a plus.. :)
    D5A022BC-63C9-4DC2-B345-4C44E2ED90C4.jpeg

8. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

Both being blue is nice too!

20210417_115839.jpg

Lovely Vintera jas24

AAT65, brookdalebill, shupe13 and 5 others like this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

:cool::cool::cool:
    Love it!​

jas24 likes this.
  10. jas24

jas24 TDPRI Member

Thanks! Still 50/50 on what I prefer, and I like the black guard more than I thought I would. LPB with a white guard is always a great look - I’ll have to put the 1ply parchment guard on and upload a pic.

Ha - definitely!! Glad I’m not alone in the Tele + Jazzmaster fan club!

AAT65 likes this.
  11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That’s a great guitar and a great price - congrats!

jas24 likes this.
  12. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

I just changed my Lake Placid Blue Tele from its original white PG to black. I like it so much better with black. Before it reminded me too much of a 1967 Chevy Malibu convertible with white vinyl seats.

mkdaws32 and jas24 like this.
  13. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

You'd burn your backside with black seats.

AAT65 and wblynch like this.
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations. You can’t go wrong with LPB.

jas24 likes this.
  15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lovely telecaster, congratulations!

jas24 likes this.
  16. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I like it a lot!
    Nicely "touched up" without being battered. Black guard looks regal.
    Congratulations on a great NGD.

jas24 likes this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

That’s nice. LPB is great.

Now tune up, plug in, press your arm on the row of knobs on the amp and pull to the right until everything stops. Now rock that thing and let em know a Tele moved in next door.

jas24 likes this.
  18. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That looks fantastic. I have the same Jazzmaster - hard to beat!

jas24 likes this.
  19. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Afflicted

Nice!

jas24 likes this.
  20. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Very nice RW Tele! I actually would prefer a cleaner bridge than it being loaded with rust. I want the same Tele in a blonde finish. I would promptly replace every rusted anything on the guitar but that is just me.

Being a guitar tech, I have seen my share of funk on guitars and I actually will refuse service if it has a nasty buildup of human funk and dirt. This is why I dislike Fender relicing the RW guitars too much IMO.

I had a RW 50's strat come in for a pickup replacement and I was quite shocked at the appearance of this "new" guitar. It looked like you fed it thru a loose wood chipper. Every metal part on this guitar was totally covered with rust. It was awful and every screw hole was full of rust.

The first thing I did after I finished my repair apprenticeship was to get a tetanus shot and I keep this updated.

Your guitar looks quite clean and slightly relic'd. I like it a lot. Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    jas24 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.