NGD - Vintera 60s Bigsby Tele

jimmyjoe

Tele-Meister
My new shiny tele, 2019, slightly over 8 lbs.

IMG_0508.jpg

I love everything about this guitar: build quality, sound, look, tremolo in action.
I already reversed the control plate, as in all my teles. Changed strings (she came with 2019 strings apparently, E, A, D were almost dead). Spent a few hours setting up the action & tuning.
The biggest surprise was how slinky the strings feel under my fingers, especially when bending, compared to my other, string-through-body teles. I didn't expect such a big change!
I first wanted to buy the white blond version of this model, which has an ash body, but I couldn't find one. Went for this one (alder) and I immediately liked the sound, not so deep as my ash Baja but very focused and hot.
I exchanged the volume knob with one of my other teles because I like at least one knob to be "harsh", which I sometimes use for priming my picks.

There is only one thing I'm worried about: these vintage frets, although they have beautiful sound and feel, are so mellow they already show first signs of wear, after only maybe 40 hours of playing (I can feel it when sliding my nail across a fret - new ones were perfectly smooth, now on the most used ones my nail stops). I do a lot of string bending and probably have heavy touch. My Classic 60s (also vintage frets) I had to have refretted after 2 years of frequent playing.

OK, but for now, tons of joy, my first gig with this new axe still ahead of me!

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
My new shiny tele, 2019, slightly over 8 lbs.

View attachment 1007947

I love everything about this guitar: build quality, sound, look, tremolo in action.
I already reversed the control plate, as in all my teles. Changed strings (she came with 2019 strings apparently, E, A, D were almost dead). Spent a few hours setting up the action & tuning.
The biggest surprise was how slinky the strings feel under my fingers, especially when bending, compared to my other, string-through-body teles. I didn't expect such a big change!
I first wanted to buy the white blond version of this model, which has an ash body, but I couldn't find one. Went for this one (alder) and I immediately liked the sound, not so deep as my ash Baja but very focused and hot.
I exchanged the volume knob with one of my other teles because I like at least one knob to be "harsh", which I sometimes use for priming my picks.

There is only one thing I'm worried about: these vintage frets, although they have beautiful sound and feel, are so mellow they already show first signs of wear, after only maybe 40 hours of playing (I can feel it when sliding my nail across a fret - new ones were perfectly smooth, now on the most used ones my nail stops). I do a lot of string bending and probably have heavy touch. My Classic 60s (also vintage frets) I had to have refretted after 2 years of frequent playing.

OK, but for now, tons of joy, my first gig with this new axe still ahead of me!

Thatsa beauty!

Time for SS frets?

jimmyjoe

Tele-Meister
Thank you, Boreas. I'm afraid of SS frets, heard they drastically change the sound of the guitar. One of my friends sold his strat after the change for the SS, he didn't like the change so much.
They are not for everyone I guess.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Thank you, Boreas. I'm afraid of SS frets, heard they drastically change the sound of the guitar. One of my friends sold his strat after the change for the SS, he didn't like the change so much.
They are not for everyone I guess.

No, they aren't. With a rosewood neck it shouldn't cost a great deal to have it refretted frequently. I barely wear frets, so not much of an issue for me. But there are some alloys that are harder than typical wire you could investigate.

Ryan0594

Tele-Holic
That is beautiful! Definitely in the top Tele configs possible!

Reverse control plate is GREAT, but did ya swap the VOL and TONE pots round? Couldn't cope with losing the pinky-volume swell potential a Tele offers

jimmyjoe

Tele-Meister
That is beautiful! Definitely in the top Tele configs possible!

Reverse control plate is GREAT, but did ya swap the VOL and TONE pots round? Couldn't cope with losing the pinky-volume swell potential a Tele offers
sure, everything is reversed, the pots and the switch. I had to do some soldering to prolong one of the wires but only by an inch.

jimmyjoe

Tele-Meister
On another note... is that a PF board? If so, oil it as much as you can! I have a PF Vintera Mustang and it's really inferior to maple / rosewood / literally every other board I've ever played
yes, pau ferro. I used hemp oil on it and it got slightly darker. It's not rosewood but it feels fine under my fingers.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
On another note... is that a PF board? If so, oil it as much as you can! I have a PF Vintera Mustang and it's really inferior to maple / rosewood / literally every other board I've ever played
My Vintera has the PF board, and I gotta say I kinda like it. It’s fine. I’ve actually come to like how it’s got a powdery dry sorta feel, even after giving a little lube or conditioner. I have rosewood and maple boards on guitars too. It does have a color more on the deep brick red side of things rather than the super dark of a lot of rosewwood, but it looks kinda cool. Definitely a dark aboard. And feels fine. What is it about it that makes you feel it’s inferior?

Ryan0594

Tele-Holic
My Vintera has the PF board, and I gotta say I kinda like it. It’s fine. I’ve actually come to like how it’s got a powdery dry sorta feel, even after giving a little lube or conditioner. I have rosewood and maple boards on guitars too. It does have a color more on the deep brick red side of things rather than the super dark of a lot of rosewwood, but it looks kinda cool. Definitely a dark aboard. And feels fine. What is it about it that makes you feel it’s inferior?
Before having a PF Mustang, I was almost certain fretboard material didn't matter whatsoever - I thought all discussion of such was conjecture!

However, although I'm still adamant it doesn't influence tone, I do feel an unpleasant, slightly hindering "catch" on the dry (even after copious amounts of oiling!) fingerboard from my fingertip when playing fast on my Mustang!

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
Before having a PF Mustang, I was almost certain fretboard material didn't matter whatsoever - I thought all discussion of such was conjecture!

However, although I'm still adamant it doesn't influence tone, I do feel an unpleasant, slightly hindering "catch" on the dry (even after copious amounts of oiling!) fingerboard from my fingertip when playing fast on my Mustang!
I hear ya. There is a different texture there. We all have our preferences. A nice, broken in rosewood board is a beautiful thing for sure. I am okay with the PF on this particular tele, though.