NGD: Vintera 50s Mod Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by supersoldier71, Jun 20, 2021.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

96EE9DBE-EE6C-40E0-B9CF-71E3B31FD1D4.jpeg Got this about a month ago as a B-stock.

I wasn’t a “Strat guy” until my Ed O’Brien Strat made me rethink that position. That’s an oddball with active electronics and a stacked humbucker bridge pickup. And I love it!

I wanted a more traditional Strat. Actually, I wanted a Vintera 50s Strat, not a 50s Modified, but I didn’t realize until it arrived.

Call it a happy accident because I’m really digging this machine.
    I wanted the traditional Strat sounds, and this has them, plus the S1 switch adds the neck pickup to any other position. Neck and bridge has a bite and “mass” that’s fun to rock, all three has a coarse jangle that’s unique. Every other sound is, you know, kind of generic after 75 years of Strats. I don’t mean boring. I mean everything we like about Strat tones, done very well.

The pickguard is pulling away from the body on the treble side. Not so as to affect playing but it looks funky. I may or may not fix that, because “mojo”. I didn’t even change the strings when I got it because they felt new and the thing sounded exactly like I wanted.

Zepfan, Mr Swisher, bls82261 and 18 others like this.
  2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty guitar, the switch to get neck and bridge or all 3 pickups is a cool mod, I did that many years ago pre internet on a Strat that I wish I still had and I've done variations on a lot of Strats since then.
    The pickguard issue is why Fender started doing the 11 hole pickguards, maybe some thin double face tape would be an easy fix?

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Nice one! It seems like single-ply pickguards with the original number of screws were prone to lifting, so I suppose it's "vintage correct".:D

4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Nice looking Strat!

75 years?

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice color. Enjoy!

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

1954-2021=67 years

7. supersoldier71

Whoops.:)

It’s almost as old as my dad, so it might as well be the Great Pyramid.

8. Bongoslade

Bongoslade Tele-Meister

nice color Strat - good luck with that dude

9. supersoldier71

The pickguard issue is, at least right now, a non-issue. I have noticed a higher-than-usual number of B-stocks on Sweetwater with similar issues, and in one case, the holes were mis-drilled.

If the holes are misaligned on mine, and drilling new ones won't leave the old ones exposed, I may do that. If, OTOH, the pickguard is the issue; that's way too easy to fix.

I mistyped earlier. The flexy area is on the bass side, so it doesn't affect playing at all.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

That looks really cool, congratulations.

11. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Oh yes this is niiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!! And I'm a big fan of the neck and bridge together on a strat. My Fender "Starcaster" has only the middle pup and bride pup left. With the middle pup moved to the neck. I would've just flip flopped the neck and middle but there wasn't enough wire on the middle pup to get underneath the middle and reach the neck. I did this on a bullet strat and I liked it WAY better. The sounds. I'm not a fan of any of 2 and 4 position. At least right now I'm not and never really have been.

The pickguard issue I think is a thing. One of my local stores has a few player series and each one was bowed up at the bridge. Fender seems like they put more effort into the Vintera, which of course costs more but the few player stuff I've played is not as impressive as they used to be. IMHO. Meaning run of the mill mexicans. I wish that wasn't the case and hopefully I'm wrong about it as a general rule. But it almost feels like the CV squiers have more attention paid to them and the mexis have fallen in quality. At least just smaller fit and finish stuff. Sharp fret ends... this pickguard issue, etc.

12. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher TDPRI Member

Very nice looking Strat. Enjoy it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.