NGD used 50s baja moded

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by revelation2012, Jun 15, 2019.

1. revelation2012

revelation2012 Tele-Meister

I just picked up this 2016 baja off local craigs list. Paid $550. (Too much?). As far as i know I'm the 3rd owner now. The guitar has been modeled, removing the S1 switching and back to a standard 3 way. I had a baja around 2011 but sold it as it was over 9 lbs. While the S1 out of phase was a nice novelty at first i never found a real user for it. I also never really find myself using the 4th series position on that guitar either of my other tele that has a 4 way. So, the conversion back to 3 way I'm fine with it. It also sits right at 8 lbs so in fine with that too.

The original broadcaster pickup was not included but it has a CS Nocaster bridge pickup, which is a good thing IMO. The biggest mod is that it was fitted for a humbucker in the neck pickup position. It has a Gibson Burstbucker 1. It came with the original twisted tele neck pickup and i was all set to remove the BB 1 and install the twisted tele back in, but i think I'm going to leave it fir now. After adjusting it down it sounds quite nice and a nice smoky jazz and blues sound. The middle position is really nice between the two pickups. I think ther nocaster is a good single coil match for and underwound neck humbucker.

Any comments on height adjustment fir a neck humbucker?

Attached Files:

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Nice. No idea about height on the neck pickup - but whatever sounds good, right?

Price - I don't know about modified Bajas, but if you are happy, then it doesn't matter. If you did overpay, it was not by a significant amount, especially since you got the original pickups in the deal.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I have never seen one for less than that and you got an extra pickup. Seems fair enough to me.

I like to start with the bucker flat with the pickguard and go up from there.

Troubleandahalf likes this.
  4. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

As you can see from my avatar, I have a Gibson mini-humbucker in the neck position of my paisley Tele. I also have a Nocaster bridge pickup like you do. It's a great combo of sounds, as you've mentioned. I didn't have to play around much with the pickup height--just tried to find a sweet spot where it still sounded good, but didn't overpower the bridge pickup. Congrats on the new guitar! Hope you enjoy it!

5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

You got pretty guitar now go for pretty ladies ! :D

revelation2012 likes this.
  6. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

That sounds like a good deal to me--a lighter-ish Baja with the S1 switch removed and modded to regular 3-way, a CS 51 Nocaster bridge pickup, and a Gibson Burstbucker in the neck, with the original Twisted Tele neck pickup included. What's not to like? Congratulations!

hotrodkid likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Everything that makes it a Baja is gone. Did you get it because you like the neck ? Or thought it was a good deal on a well made guitar, or what ? $550 is a great price for unmodified and you have a better bridge p- up and the TT neck p-up, so a good deal overall.

9. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Doesn't it have the fabled Baja 50's neck?

Piggy Stu likes this.
  10. revelation2012

Yes it's has the neck. I just put new strings on it and lifted the "hood". The rout job for the humbucker was professionally done with a template. It looks like the cover of the BB1 was removed at some point and "aged". One of the solder points for the cover looks like it has come loose on the pole piece side. It does not affect the performance but the cover doesn't sit flush on that side. It is just slightly angled higher. There is the tiniest bit of fret sprout that will need to be addressed. The strings were grimy and kinda dead and sweat all over the fretboard. It was definitely a player. I'll enjoy it for a little while then have those issues addressed by my tech. Jack cup was loose but now it's corrected. A small tiny chip in the poly by the jack cup.

I guess it may not be per se a baja to some because of the s1 switching removal but, i was never quite sold on that anyway. I have two other teles with 4 ways and rarely use that position. I guess I like the simplicity ... The neck is what sold me on it anyway and the fact it was not in the "heavy " category.

I'm enjoying the bb1 pretty well. It is as low as can be and sounds great and "open". It seems to pair very well with the nocaster bridge pickup. The middle position is really nice sounding. Little less snap in the e & a when in the neck position but that was expected. If I keep the bb1 in the neck my blacktop is going to be a bit redundant as i used it for neck position playing anyway... my other two teles both have twisted tele (baja) neck pickups and i have a strat so I'm not too anxious to put the TT in this guitar.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Teleterr and theprofessor like this.
  11. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

12. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I like those mods. I always wanted a Tele with a humbucker in the neck, and the Gibson Burstbuckers are great pickups (I know because I have them in my Les Paul). Congratulations, it looks great.

I have an unmodified Baja, but I don't have anything I want to change on it. I really like the 4 way switching and use both pickups in series quite a bit. I don't use the S1 tones at all, but the button isn't in the way, so I don't see a need to remove it.

Can you describe how the CS Nocaster pickup compares with the Broadcaster pickup? It seems like they should be very similar animals.

13. revelation2012

I usually don't mod pickup configuration too much but the "sin" was already committed with the neck pickup rout.

I actually have a baja pickup set in a Squier CVC. The guitar woods are different but I'd say the baja broadcaster pickup has a softer attack (it may be the guitar) even though it measures 9k as opposed to the 7k nocaster. To my ears both have more midrange than say a 60s low wind pickup but imo the nocaster has more range if that makes sense. The broadcaster is a little "harder" on the bass and treble spectrum if that makes sense. The nocaster bridge can twang but can serously rock and take pedals well.

I have a tonerider hot classic that doesn't sound too much different but I'd say the nocaster being lower wind is more versatile and doesn't drive the amp as hard. But crank the amp or throw a pedal in the mix it can sound quite gritty. I like it better so far than the tonerider. I think it has a bit more range.

I'd say the nocaster is a little darker than the broadcaster pickup but still chimy and bright when clean. It plays smoother, but then again were talking A5 broadcaster vs A3 for the nocaster. Personally i like the nocaster more but I'm in early honeymoon phase. In fact, i think i may go back to the stock pickup in the squier cvc.

I think as well that the nocaster or A3 bridge pickup pairs well with different neck pickups. It goes well with the bb1 i have in the baja (ther middle nails Keith Richards/ Stones tunes). But the A3 hot classic bridge pickup sounds marvelous with a bright neck pickup like the Twisted Tele neck pickup i have in another tele. Seems like the A3 nocaster mates well in the middle position with various other pickups. It can go bright or darker easily with the tine knob or eq on your amp. More so than my experience with the baja broadcaster.

There is a YouTube video from Anderson's where Danish Pete is playing teles that were speced on his CS purple tele that have a Nocaster bridge and Twisted Tele neck pickup. To my ears, this is a great pickup combo but he's also a spectacular player as well. Sounds wonderful!

stnmtthw likes this.
  14. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Nice...Keith Richards told me he likes it.

SAguitar likes this.
  15. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

I have an almost stock Baja tele, I did the 50's mod to it.

Awhile ago I bought a triple Tele with the three Nocaster pickups. That guitar made me realize I like the Nocaster pickup better than the broadcaster in my Baja. I'm keeping the Baja stock, but I built another Tele for the Nocaster/twisted Tele combo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.