1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD- Unknown Hondo model... help IDing?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Pants, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Pants

Pants Tele-Meister

So I was at my local Music Go Round yesterday picking up a Blue iPod mic (cool piece of gear) when I stumbled upon a quirky Hondo with no discernable model, serial number, or anything... the MGR tag just said "Hondo 60s style guitar." I loved its Jaguar-meets-Teisco-Del-Rey looks, so I plugged it in, and, what do you know- it played and sounded incredible. I was blown away by the trebly punch and clarity its Strat pickups had. I kept playing it for almost an hour, waiting for it to go out of tune (trying to find that dealbreaker... the price was in the double digits, mind you), but no dice. So of course I had to take it home.

But after much searching, I'm still coming up with no clues as to what exactly it is... here are some heinously bad cell phone pics; hopefully they can shed some light on its identity to another pair of more expert eyes out there?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

hmmm

Looks a lot like this Harmony 2813..the headstock is a little different, but the set up makes me think they came from the same production line.. might even be a Harmony body with a Hondo Neck... ya never know.

Attached Files:

3. Pants

Pants Tele-Meister

Good call! I can definitely see it. A neck transplant is definitely plausible- it's a bolt on with what looks to be a pretty standard pocket. This Hondo neck looks like it's mahogany, or at least an imitation mahogany veneer. The headstock reminds me an awful lot of the Ibanez Jet King, which is interesting...

Many thanks for your help.

4. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Looks like they also added another volume control since there is no switch for neck/bridge pickups. I like those pickups too. I took them out to put into a future project.

5. Pants

Pants Tele-Meister

Yeah that's actually really annoying. I might as well drop a switch in there- it's not like there's much resale value to detract from. Those pickups though... there's just something about them. Love em.

6. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Put pix of it up at www.vintaxe.com and they'll ID it for you, those guys are amazing at doing that.
    Nice guitar, BTW.

7. matthewtaylorws

matthewtaylorws TDPRI Member

did the original poster ever find out the model name for this gutar i have one and this is the only pic i found on line

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.