1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Two Notes CAB M+

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Phrygian77, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Christmas present to myself...

PXL_20201205_181625332.jpg

It's been hard to ignore the recent buzz about the CAB M+ since they added the preamp functionality. I've been wanting something like it for a while now. I picked up a Tech 21 Blonde for practice at home a few years ago, and I never really bonded with it. The CAB M+ obviously has way more capability. For me, with my pedal board, it can be a all-in-one solution for silent practice at home. Additionally, I can use it for recording, or use it as a direct box at gigs with or without my amp. It seems like great tool with many uses. So, when I saw the CAB M go on sale for $249.99 with free shipping, I had to have it. I'm glad I jumped on it too because they were sold out just a couple of days later, and then the price jumped to $279.

Out of the box it had the old firmware. As with anything Bluetooth and Android, the initial setup and connection didn't go smoothly. Once I got it going, the app indicated that there was a firmware update. No, you can't update it via your phone or tablet, you have to connect it via USB to a computer (Windows and Mac support only).

After I got the firmware updated, I flipped the input level switch to +12dB, plugged my Tele directly in, and plugged in my Sony 7506s. I just left it set on the first preset, which is supposed to be a '77 Twin. I enabled the preamp, and without touching any other settings I started playing. Wow, it immediately exceeded my expectations! Then, in the preamp settings, I turned the treble up some and the bass down exactly like I would on any black/silverface Fender. I also turned the reverb down a bit. The preamp tone controls responded exactly like I would expect them to. Perfect so far! I also tried cranking the power amp. Not bad, certainly not mind blowing, but not bad at all.

All in all, after just a few minutes of tinkering with it, I'm very happy. Now, I want a reactive load box. I thought about just ordering the Suhr, but I decided that I'm just going to build one. I'm already drawing up the plans.

Edit: I had some time today to run my blackface Bassman through it (with just cab/mic and a little reverb enabled). It sounded great. Switching back to the built-in preamp, with similar tone settings, I noticed that it's actually a little on the bright compared to the real thing. Not a big deal, I could still make sound good and very similar.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Recently got one myself and I am also very happy with it.

So far I've only uses it as home where it sounds so good I seldom plug into a real amp.

The big test will be a big new years eve gig. I bought the CAB M to use as a DI (between the amp and speaker) but I am tempted go all out and not use a guitar amp at all.

My concern is, that what sounds good at home seldom works in a gig situation.

Anyway, enjoy yours. It is an impressive bit of gear.

Cheers

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

That's a wonderful piece of gear.

The Two Notes cab modeling is fast becoming the industry standard... with good reason.
    The addition of pre-amps is a great feature and I'm sure they will expand on that as well.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations, CAB M+ is really nice!

Phrygian77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.