NGD Top Loader Tele Tues....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 2 Headed Goat, Jul 23, 2019.

1. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Just picked up this player... IMG_20010409_063847.jpg IMG_20010409_062654.jpg IMG_20010409_062511.jpg IMG_20010409_062802.jpg IMG_20010409_063107.jpg IMG_20010409_062909.jpg and am diggin' it.

2. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Awesome ....
    :cool:

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  3. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I'm guessing by the bridge it's an '83 american standard????

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    Aren’t the necks (nut width) a little wider than usual on those?
    Maybe 1 3/4 inch?

2 Headed Goat and tlsmack like this.
  5. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

1562104515980.jpg

2 Headed Goat and brookdalebill like this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The original necks on the 1983/84 Standards (and Elites) was 1.700" - so in-between 1 11/16" and 1 3/4".

As @2 Headed Goat says his new one is a player - it has a replacement neck (looks like the replacement neck at one time had a replacement headstock decal as well that has been mostly scraped off) and at least a replacement bridge pickup.

2 Headed Goat and brookdalebill like this.
  7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

3 hardtail butts- 83's.jpg

8. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice, what is that bridge pup?

This is a 94 Standard. I hated its single string saddles. After a little playing they would separate and I’d get a clicking sound, so I replaced it with a Wilkinson compensated bridge. I also put Dimarzio Area-Ts in it.

E683CEA3-3370-448D-A352-9B984625445C.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    2 Headed Goat and nojazzhere like this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Cool. Congrats.

That would look outstanding as an Esquire.

10. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

Very nice. A real good looker. Not a thing wrong with a top loader. If someone says different don't listen to 'em.Besides, it's your guitar and you are the only one who needs to be pleased. I have a top loader and really like it. Much easier to change strings and likely the strings don't have the some tension as a string through the body guitar because they do not have that right angel bend in the string path. Play the dickens out of the guitar. Get to know it like your hand.

2 Headed Goat and Jim622 like this.
  11. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Cheers Everyone!
    Yeah, she's a curious one... Just got back from putting her thru the paces at the local Farmer's market and she's a winner! Here's a rundown.... weighing in at a hair over 7lbs...
    the body, hardware and electronics minus pickups are 1983 US Standard Telecaster from the Smith era. The neck is a mystery... the guy I bought it from says it is stamped made in Canada.?!? I haven't pulled the neck but I did remove the p/g and could see a bit of the end of the neck. Its has a curved end with the fingerboard overhang as its 22 frets just like an older AM STD.
    Its also very similar in nut width and finish (satin) as said AM STD and the fretwire seems to be the same size too, tho the fingerboard radius is 12" as opposed to a 9.5" radius. The stock neck on these '83 teles have a 12" radius and as John C points out the nut width is wider.
    More differences - the fret marker dots are smaller in size and are silver - including the tiny side dots. The fingerboard is a rosewood slab with the truss rod access on the body end rather than the headstock end. The headstock has Grover tuners and the shape is near identical to an '83 tele plus with 2 strings trees in exactly the same place tho the butterfly style string trees sit on little silver square spacers and have fold up flanges on the non string sides - never seen these before.
    The p/g is single ply and thinner than what I recall the stock ones were plus it has the adjustment screw holes too. No stickers and/or foil shielding on the underside.
    The bridge pickup is a Lace Sensor Blue and sounds heaps better than I thought it would. It blends nicely in the middle position with the neck pickup so it stays put. The neck is an early model APC T-300. Says 'Made in the USA' and 'Patent pending'. Really nice sounding pickup.:) Apparently these are favoured by Brad Paisley and have become the Brad Paisley neck pickup.
    The body I believe is alder and the Sienna finish is much darker than how it looks in the pics more dark like a dark cherry colour...I'd almost call it burnt sienna as it has a soft muted glow to it... not sure whether that's from age or not. The neck profile has a very comfy somewhat flat thin C profile but with a V to it as well. It reminds me somewhat of an early 60's neck profile but with an overall larger size.
    Gotta say having a Tele again after 20 years of G&L's is nice. My first 'real' guitar was an '83 Standard Strat which was also a top loader with these same bridge saddles and Fender embossed neck plate. Kinda come full circle...
    Saw this flick in the theatre in '83 as well so I'm I'm dubbing her Cherry... as in Cherry Valance... Diane Lane and Stevie W.... a great combo IMB. Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Jim622 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.