NGD tomorrow

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I know we’ve all said it but, if I’m happy with the Tele I’m going to see tomorrow, I’ll have reached the point where GAS can be pronounced extinct.
Long story short, I have one each, red MIM Strat and Tele and one each BSB Strat and Tele, the Strat a 2003/4 AmStd and the Tele a 2017 AmPro.

Walked into my local shop a month or two ago and they had a really good 2004 Strat AmStd. Black, maple and tortoiseshell guard. Just loved it and, after some haggling, I left with it. So…………………two pairs and an oddball. The first American made Tele on the price ladder that can be had in black with a maple board is the AmPro ll.

Just for fun, I started looking for one but every retailer I found quoted ‘awaiting stock’. You know how it is, or, perhaps you don’t, but for me ‘curious’ begats ‘wanting’ and ‘wanting’ begats needing and…………………….finally found one that could be shipped to my next-but-local shop, and it’s there waiting.
The BSB’s both have CS Texas Specials in but the black pair will be left with the stock items.
Hope it’s a good one, if it is I’ve got the strap locks and locking tuners ready to go on and a tortoiseshell guard on the way.

Three pairs and I’ll be complete……………….honest!

Crobbins

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
The last guitar I bought, I said was going to be the last one, and now I have this coming in from Wildwood.

egzdFtF.jpg

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, it’s here! Played it for 1/2 hour in the shop and found it really comfy. Not sure about the parallel / series switch, maybe the change to the tone is a subtle one that I’ve not fathomed yet.
Build quality excellent and set up pretty good, it was straight out of the box, never been on the wall in store.

Later, probably tomorrow, it’ll be getting a tortoise shell guard, (I blew £70 on a genuine Fender one, hoping it’ll fit properly), locking tuners and Strap Locks.

Very impressed so far

Attachments

• A88FDCB1-9D9B-4258-B970-827AE9CB6ADE.jpeg
    A88FDCB1-9D9B-4258-B970-827AE9CB6ADE.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 63
  • F6264BF1-00E0-4C59-B8FC-8F2FE098B57C.jpeg
    F6264BF1-00E0-4C59-B8FC-8F2FE098B57C.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 605BBDA9-3E20-4A38-BE19-1898C347672B.jpeg
    605BBDA9-3E20-4A38-BE19-1898C347672B.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

John C

Friend of Leo's
Congrats; that's a nice one! I think that the tortoise shell pickguard will look nice against the black finish.

While I've not played an American Professional II Tele yet I've played several other Teles with the series/parallel switching (American Deluxe/Elite/Ultras, Bajas, the old MIM Deluxe Thinline) and you should be getting a much louder/thicker sound when you engage the switch. But with the way the American Pro IIs are wired the switch only works in the middle (both pickups) setting, like the way the S-1 switch works on the American Deluxe/Elite/Ultra Teles.

Crobbins

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Well, it’s here! Played it for 1/2 hour in the shop and found it really comfy. Not sure about the parallel / series switch, maybe the change to the tone is a subtle one that I’ve not fathomed yet.
Build quality excellent and set up pretty good, it was straight out of the box, never been on the wall in store.

Later, probably tomorrow, it’ll be getting a tortoise shell guard, (I blew £70 on a genuine Fender one, hoping it’ll fit properly), locking tuners and Strap Locks.

Very impressed so far
Congrats.💥🎸💥

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
So, I’m now sure about the parallel / series switch…………it ain’t working. The knob isn’t latching at it’s pushed in position. Press it hand hold it and the difference in tone is big, let go and it reverts to the ‘out’ position. Spoken to the shop who suggested taking off the tone knob, it may be preventing the pot going in far enough to latch. It isn’t, so it’s back to see them in the morning. I won’t be offered another guitar, there’re non in the country so, I’ll push for them to swap the pot, or, possibly loaded switch plate, form another of their stock guitars. If not, they’ll need to order one in. I’ll not be letting them keep the guitar if I can help it!

Dana Rudd

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats on the guitar, but the bad switch sucks. Hopefully they can resolve to problem quickly for you.

John C

Friend of Leo's
So, I’m now sure about the parallel / series switch…………it ain’t working. The knob isn’t latching at it’s pushed in position. Press it hand hold it and the difference in tone is big, let go and it reverts to the ‘out’ position. Spoken to the shop who suggested taking off the tone knob, it may be preventing the pot going in far enough to latch. It isn’t, so it’s back to see them in the morning. I won’t be offered another guitar, there’re non in the country so, I’ll push for them to swap the pot, or, possibly loaded switch plate, form another of their stock guitars. If not, they’ll need to order one in. I’ll not be letting them keep the guitar if I can help it!

Have them order you a new pot; since you like the guitar don't give it up as you might not like what you get in return. Yes it's a total PIA to wait on the part, but you're better off to just wait on that part since you can play it without the series functionality.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Have them order you a new pot; since you like the guitar don't give it up as you might not like what you get in return. Yes it's a total PIA to wait on the part, but you're better off to just wait on that part since you can play it without the series functionality.
That’s my intention, though I was going to push for them to swap out the pot, or control plate, with a stock guitar. We’ll see.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, I went back, with the Tele and pointed to the problem. A bit frustrated at the questions and waffle, I eventually asked ‘do, is it a latching or non-latching switch’. Their puzzled expressions lead me to believe they had less than a full understanding of my question and thus couldn’t answer. Walking over to an Am Pro ll on the wall I pressed the tone control and established it was a latching / de latching set up.

Their offer to order me a new pot from Fender was politely declined, I could see an open ended wait!

I’m now going back when their tech is in, on Saturday, when they’ve promised to have him swap out the pot, or, if quicker, complete control plate while I wait.

Hope it happens.