NGD Tom Anderson T-Icon Translucent Blonde

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
My custom ordered Tom Anderson T-Icon has arrived at last! Took just about 6 months from the time I submitted my specs to delivery. I’m very particular about grain patterns and glad that I was able to choose the specific swamp ash top for approval before the build rather than just rely on a worded description of my ideal and hope for the best. The last thing I wanted was to end up seeing some strange alien or smiley face patterns in the grain!

I love being blasted with that first whiff of the sweet, cinnamon smell of fresh nitro upon opening the case. It’s a magical scent that’s good for the soul and fills my heart with joy. Ain’t nothin’ like it!

However, my elation was somewhat diminished because unfortunately, there was a small flake of finish that chipped off along one edge of the back side of the neck pocket (zoom in on the 3 picture collage of the neck pocket). It was disappointing, but they gave me the option of sending it back to Anderson’s for a free “repair” or take a rather substantial partial refund of 20% off the total cost to keep it as is. After thinking it over for a few days, I opted for the partial refund which was a nice chunk of money back. It’s a very thin nitro finish and checking and wear was going to happen eventually anyway. I can’t even see it in the playing position since it’s on the bottom portion of the back of the neck pocket. There is no damage to the actual wood and it’s structurally sound. I also didn’t want to ship it back out and run the risk of damage occurring again. My gut told me to take the money and move on. I’m over it and satisfied. No worries. Commence playing!

It’s a marvel to behold and play. I ordered a “Happy Medium” neck but added .050” of beef to it for extra chunk (.875” 1st fret / .965” 12th fret). Silky smooth, expertly leveled stainless steel frets. The intonation is dead on and that’s largely attributed to the “Buzz Feiten” tuning system that’s basically a subtly compensated nut which moves the strings slightly closer to the first fret, thus eliminate sharp notes mainly within the first three frets. There’s a little more to it here if you care to research further: http://www.buzzfeiten.com/howitworks/howitworks.htm

What I love about a translucent blonde finish is how different it appears under various light. It can take on a marble gray, granite color under dim light and then under direct sunlight, the “blonde” beautifully reveals itself. Check out the collage pictures where the left side pic is under room light compared to the right side pic under direct sunlight. Pretty cool.

Thanks for reading my ramble. Live to play, play to live.

SPECS:
  • Body: Swamp Ash
  • Color: Translucent Blonde
  • Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
  • Neck: Caramel Maple
  • Neck Finish: Satin
  • Neck Carve: “Happy Medium + .050” (.875 1st Fret / .965 12th Fret)
  • 22 Medium Jumbo Stainless Steel Frets
  • Nut Width: 1 11/16”
  • Bridge: 3-Saddle Compensated
  • Tuners: Split Shaft
  • Pickguard: Aged White
  • Controls: 1 volume, 1 Tone, 3-way switch
  • Pickups: Bridge TF3; Neck TV1
  • Buzz Feiten Tuning System
  • Me: Happy!
    6F3691DA-AF58-4CA8-9832-DCBC404C7ED0.jpeg
    D021BC75-5EDD-4AA3-9695-7D4C0F55AFA5.jpeg
    743A7D88-7610-4984-A4B6-E6AC37F786D0.jpeg
    2AC6F2C2-FA9D-48E4-BB33-34B3861903E2.jpeg
    C8CF60E9-04C0-49EC-8DE5-84A6093D534F.jpeg
    FC80C17D-58A9-4BDB-815F-B50668F5DAA3.jpeg
    3284EEBD-CF89-4CAA-B6B6-3FF24857C8DB.jpeg
    30FECA86-3937-49DD-8492-CE8C3145E041.jpeg
    2B7E4E30-9091-4787-B1A3-2160F23B3909.jpeg
    F1E66911-0A4D-461E-BC4E-9F127B2E39D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
Beautiful!
Enjoy it!
Thank you much!

This is my first ever custom ordered guitar and it's been a really cool experience. Anderson's were great throughout the process. Beautiful necks and fretwork.

This is my 5th Tele overall. I'm hooked on 'em! You'd think five would be enough, but nah, I'm still looking for a few more: one with an "F" Logo Bigsby, a Thinline, and a 70's Custom in Mocha with the Cunife Neck pickup. I think once I get those, I'll be satiated.

Winky

Tele-Holic
That's a real stunner. Particularly love the neck. The wedge-shaped neck pocket is unique to Anderson, I think?
I think once I get those, I'll be satiated.
Now who's being naive?

(Your choice of the refund rather than the repair is exactly what I'd do with a nitro-finish guitar. As you say, the "badges of use" will appear in sort order).

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
That's a real stunner. Particularly love the neck. The wedge-shaped neck pocket is unique to Anderson, I think?

Now who's being naive?

(Your choice of the refund rather than the repair is exactly what I'd do with a nitro-finish guitar. As you say, the "badges of use" will appear in sort order).
Haha, yeah I know, there's always going to be another Tele down the road somewhere!

Yeah, that wedge neck pocket is really unique and pretty much eliminates any shifting. It's got the contoured back too, where it has a downward slant from the bass to the treble side which is more ergonomic for the palm. A nice touch.

gkterry

Tele-Afflicted
One feature of TA guitars that I don't think gets enough notice is the way the neck attaches to the body That super strong dovetail type joint mates the two together. That helps transfer tone from the neck to the body without any danger of cracking the neck pocket. Outstanding engineering!

tlp123

Tele-Meister
My custom ordered Tom Anderson T-Icon has arrived at last! Took just about 6 months from the time I submitted my specs to delivery. I’m very particular about grain patterns and glad that I was able to choose the specific swamp ash top for approval before the build rather than just rely on a worded description of my ideal and hope for the best. The last thing I wanted was to end up seeing some strange alien or smiley face patterns in the grain!

I love being blasted with that first whiff of the sweet, cinnamon smell of fresh nitro upon opening the case. It’s a magical scent that’s good for the soul and fills my heart with joy. Ain’t nothin’ like it!

However, my elation was somewhat diminished because unfortunately, there was a small flake of finish that chipped off along one edge of the back side of the neck pocket (zoom in on the 3 picture collage of the neck pocket). It was disappointing, but they gave me the option of sending it back to Anderson’s for a free “repair” or take a rather substantial partial refund of 20% off the total cost to keep it as is. After thinking it over for a few days, I opted for the partial refund which was a nice chunk of money back. It’s a very thin nitro finish and checking and wear was going to happen eventually anyway. I can’t even see it in the playing position since it’s on the bottom portion of the back of the neck pocket. There is no damage to the actual wood and it’s structurally sound. I also didn’t want to ship it back out and run the risk of damage occurring again. My gut told me to take the money and move on. I’m over it and satisfied. No worries. Commence playing!

It’s a marvel to behold and play. I ordered a “Happy Medium” neck but added .050” of beef to it for extra chunk (.875” 1st fret / .965” 12th fret). Silky smooth, expertly leveled stainless steel frets. The intonation is dead on and that’s largely attributed to the “Buzz Feiten” tuning system that’s basically a subtly compensated nut which moves the strings slightly closer to the first fret, thus eliminate sharp notes mainly within the first three frets. There’s a little more to it here if you care to research further: http://www.buzzfeiten.com/howitworks/howitworks.htm

What I love about a translucent blonde finish is how different it appears under various light. It can take on a marble gray, granite color under dim light and then under direct sunlight, the “blonde” beautifully reveals itself. Check out the collage pictures where the left side pic is under room light compared to the right side pic under direct sunlight. Pretty cool.

Thanks for reading my ramble. Live to play, play to live.

SPECS:
Kinda stupid not to get contours. Alder w/maple top is usually the preferred. Both mine ring marvelously.

The Feiten thing is way over hyped.

Copying and pasting specs means nothing. Great guitars that have been around quite awhile.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
That's cool man. Never played any of the T-Style ones. Played the Strat style and really liked it. Belongs to the owner of a studio I recorded at and used it for a few things.

I can only imagine...it's amazing.