NGD - Tips needed :) Gretsch Country Gent

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Andy Summers, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

There's no shame in a little glue.

I had a 1973 Country Gentleman that was one of "the ones that got away". Absolutely wonderful guitar, and I put a set of Pyramid flatwound 12s on it (a gift from bandmate Paul "in Colorado" Honeycutt), and it played great and stayed in tune great, even with Bigbsy use. I even did my usual string bending without problems.

It's absolutely vital to have a nut that allows free movement of the strings, particularly with any kind of vibrato. It's also very important to put the strings on the tuner posts in a way that locks the string against slipping.

Tim

2. mrBun

mrBun Tele-Meister

Is it a Collector grade guitar?
    Don't pin the bridge and just be gentle with it.

Is it a tool?
    Pin the bridge.

My Gretsches have "pinned" bridges... this is a working studio and I need accurate intonation on my tools.
    Take it to a luthier for a pro setup, get it adjusted to your specs and it will reward you 100 fold. A reliable precision instrument and a wicked cool noise toy.

Edit... the Adjustomatic bridges from Blackrider have pre drilled holes for pinning in the baseplate

3. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Very nice words of wisdom. Thank you so much gentlemen. Country gentlemen, perhaps?

I shall take your words to heart and give them a try. As of three hours ago she was going back tomorrow....not anymore. I learned a lot already thanks to you folks and a little tinkering with it on my own. The sound is to die for and deserves a little time and patience on my part!

And I think I'd prefer a pinned bridge...though it seems fairly simple to move around...but still.

Cheers my friends!

4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

If you want to simplify re-stringing, Vibramate makes a string spoiler that makes it ridiculously easy to put new strings on.

5. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Please don't give up on that beautiful guitar.
    Re-setting the intonation on a movable bridge takes all of a couple extra minutes after a string change.
    Use violin rosin on the bridge base to stop the sliding around. It works and wont hurt the finish.
    Then put on some 11-49 Diadarios to hold it down even tighter.
    Lube the nut.
    If the Bigsby still goes out, take it to a luthier and get the nut string slots cut correctly.
    Then install a Compton bridge.

6. SockPuppetMasta

SockPuppetMasta Tele-Meister

I'm glad you changed your mind about taking it back because that is one sexy guitar you have there, and I know from first hand experience how great they sound.

Lots of great suggestions already.
    Personally on my falcon and duo jet I use the rosin method to keep my bridge from moving around.
    And I've recently started using Vibramate Spoilers on all my Bigsby fitted guitars.

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Glad you figured it out. I wonder if that's a problem more common to the double cuts like yours. I had a White Falcon double cutaway and the bridge would move with extreme bends. I eventually put violin rosin on the feet of the bridge and it stopped moving.

My Country Club (single cutaway), is one of the most tuning stable guitars I've ever owned - bridge doesn't move, even with light strings, and I can go weeks before having to tune it, and I bend and use the Bigsby a lot.

The nut sauce / lube suggestion is good. And I would try rosin before I'd pin anything. So many people panic and pin their bridges and it just isn't necessary.

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Glue????? Pins???? Get it over with, a few 10 penny nails will keep that sucker from falling off.

Maybe you could weld the tuner gears, keep it in tune. :rolleyes:

9. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

I made a little posterboard template that sets spacing between the bridge pickup surround and the floating bridge on my hollowbody. This is especially helpful since the bridge is slightly at an angle to help with intonation.

10. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

You do know that pinning the bridge is a VERY common practice with Gretsch guitars with floating bridges.

11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I did not know that. I gigged with a Tennessean 1967-1969, no issues at all with the floating bridge. I haven't had any personal experience with them since then.

12. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

I never have any issues with with mine either. I guess a lot of guys just prefer it pinned.

13. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah pinning is pretty common. Some come that way stock. I have a 6118 and the bridge is still full floating, but with 12s (wound G) I have no issues with it moving.

A Gretsch is a new animal compared to our beloved Teles, that's for sure.

Hope you get it all sorted out. THey're worth the extra work. Once it's all sorted, it'll be rock solid.

14. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I have bought and sold a lot of guitars over the years, and a number of the ones I've sold are instruments that I wish I had kept.

But none so much as my Country Gent. Selling it bailed me out of a pretty dire jam, but I sure wish I had it back! I even emailed the guy I sold it to, a few years later, but he had sold it and didn't have any info on the new owner.

Sigh...

15. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Good for you for not giving up. The sound is worth the effort. I've found with Gretsches that having a good set up is imperative. And 99.9 percent of the time tuning issues can be traced to the nut. So much of the time, it's a fairly simple fix. Once you get it sussed out, as you now know, it's a great guitar.

16. Andy Summers

Thank you everyone for your input!! Im at work now, so apologies for the shortness.

I have definitely thought about this guitar quite often today...threw a little reverb on her last night and it was tonal heaven! And each pickup setting has its own sound. It is quite the musical beast for sure! Cant wait to get home and play more!! As well as read more comments! Keep 'em coming. I love this stuff!

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a '97 6120-60 that I bought used. The bridge is pined and it came with Sperzel's that appear to be stock. The only problem I have with it is that when the strings get old the G doesn't stay in tune very well. I put on new strings and all is well. Maybe I need a little more lube at the nut on the G string. I use D'Addario .011's with a plain G.

18. mrBun

mrBun Tele-Meister

Must bite tongue.... Pinning is not an uncommon thing....bit of a rave here on why Brian Setzer went down this path... who knew he was :eek::eek::eek:
    http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/gretsch-brain-setzer-nashville-27336

TL:DR
    "Brian has come up with two more great features for his signature guitars.

The first is the pinned bridge. On Gretsch guitars, the 'floating' rosewood-based bridge is held in place by the pressure of the strings.

Take the strings off and the bridge will fall off, too. The only real bummer with this arrangement is that the bridge can shift out of position when the Bigsby is wiggled in a frenzied fashion.

For a few years Brian used double-sided sticky tape in an attempt to keep the bridge in place, but with this guitar he went a step further, having it 'pinned' in the correct position. It's such a simple idea and it makes this guitar feel so much more 'solid.'

You can beat that vibrato as hard as you want and give the strings a good whack and the bridge never moves. Nice work, rockabilly legend!"

Not only is that Setzer guy a complete WACKO!!!! for the stupidity of pinning his bridge but now that no-nothing upstart Chris Cheney has done the same durn thing!!!
    http://www.gretsch.com.au/gretsch-electric-guitar-details.cfm?pID=2411424941&bc=default&bcid=0

TL;DR "Chris’ personal favourite mods (TV Jones™pickups, master volume with an anti-dull circuit, jumbo frets, pinned ebony based Adjusto-Matic™ Bridge, Schaller™ Strap Locks & Deluxe Sperzel™ Locking Tuners). Glorified with an aged white body "

Ohh Ricky D!!! I'm just gonna get on the phone and see if anyone can help me mend the error of my ways.... maybe the vicar will help me... :lol::lol::lol:

or better still.... let me google that for you.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gretsch+pinned+bridge

19. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Pin it if you want, but no glue. Glue is just uncorrect.

20. Andy Summers

Ok folks...first off, thank you so much for all your kind words of wisdom, but I did end up bringing it back. It was perhaps one of the prettiest sounding guitars I've ever had my hands on, but just was not "me" at all. I tried :) So I took her back and exchanged her for a Les Paul Traditional Gold Top....and wow!!!! What a beauty. Definitely felt a sigh of relief when I picked that guy up and just started ripping...worry free :) I like to move a lot when I play, palm mute, bend..etc. So, lesson learned. And other things learned as well, thanks to you folks. It wasn't a waste of your time at all :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.