NGD: Thrift Store Peavey!

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
@Call Me Al , when tweaking that pickup height on my aforementioned Bullet I also adjusted the tilt, and found that to be “tonally significant.” As I received it with the pickup set high and level it was super crunchy and toothy and present with high gain sounds and harsh and shrill with clean sounds.

Lowering it a lot as already mentioned was a definite improvement in versatility, and lowering it a little further on the treble side and raising it ever so slightly on the bass side made it more neutral sounding to me. I heard most of the difference in the clean sound. It crunched pretty well with high gain sounds with either pickup height; the main difference there seems to be signal output.

In its current lowered position it still seems like a hotter pickup than a Strat single coil, so I decided it was good enough.

But yeah, that tilt made a difference and cut some shrillness.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
Nice, you're inspiring me to pull out the ol' headless. I have recently gotten my Peavey Patriot back from several years with my idiot brother inlaw, who didn't bother to say "thank you, sorry I broke the e and B strings."
I think I'll put a ceramic Melody Maker pickup in the center slot and replace the pots.
Fyi my neck is not interchangeable with Fender components. Oh, it became headless one dark and stormy night when iI stumbled upon an innocent router.
20220705_091022.jpg

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Nice, you're inspiring me to pull out the ol' headless. I have recently gotten my Peavey Patriot back from several years with my idiot brother inlaw, who didn't bother to say "thank you, sorry I broke the e and B strings."
I think I'll put a ceramic Melody Maker pickup in the center slot and replace the pots.
Fyi my neck is not interchangeable with Fender components. Oh, it became headless one dark and stormy night when iI stumbled upon an innocent router. View attachment 1001153
That’s one wild guitar! I’ve had a few Peavey basses, done some minor mods like new pickups and alternate wiring. I considered a neck pickup for the Rockmaster; but I’m really enjoying the simplicity and it sounds especially nice through my Vox tube amp. So I’ll try and restrain myself from messing with it!

That color 😳...
IDK if that’s good or bad… but I agree! 😂

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
A Pesquire! I used to go and watch hockey games at the outdoor rink. Hiked all over Treman and I worked Watkins Glen for years. Ithaca is Gorges.
Very nice guitar score, cleaned up nicely.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Really digging this guitar! Super comfortable body and sits just right on a strap. Loving the tone, the neck (and the DR pure blues!)

Couple sound clips, one clean and country, one crunchy blues.

It might need a set up, i don't think it plays in tune. Nothing really bad, but that slight out of tune thing.
I guess that is the main problem with thrift store guitars, when you are ok playing a low e chord, you play the same chord at the 12th fret and there is always a bit of dissonance.

40 bucks, that is a deal though.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Somebody call the cops. You STOLE that :cool:

I've got the perfect amp to pair with that guitar; the total cost for the rig including that new set of strings comes in right at a hunnerd George Washington dollars:

Peavey-Classic-20-CR.jpg

Yeah, I saved the price tag because nobody would ever believe I got a Peavey Classic 20 combo for fifty bucks.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
That’s one wild guitar! I’ve had a few Peavey basses, done some minor mods like new pickups and alternate wiring. I considered a neck pickup for the Rockmaster; but I’m really enjoying the simplicity and it sounds especially nice through my Vox tube amp. So I’ll try and restrain myself from messing with it!

IDK if that’s good or bad… but I agree! 😂
Good!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
It's great to see someone with the skills, tools, and love of doing it get ahold of something that most people wouldn't want and turn it into a cool guitar. What's your plan for the finished product? Knockaround guitar? Donate to kid who wants to learn to play?

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
It might need a set up, i don't think it plays in tune. Nothing really bad, but that slight out of tune thing.
I guess that is the main problem with thrift store guitars, when you are ok playing a low e chord, you play the same chord at the 12th fret and there is always a bit of dissonance.

40 bucks, that is a deal though.
I could stand to dial in the set up for sure. It’s also possible I’m ham-fisting these 9s, I’ve been playing mostly 10s before this.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Somebody call the cops. You STOLE that :cool:

I've got the perfect amp to pair with that guitar; the total cost for the rig including that new set of strings comes in right at a hunnerd George Washington dollars:

Peavey-Classic-20-CR.jpg

Yeah, I saved the price tag because nobody would ever believe I got a Peavey Classic 20 combo for fifty bucks.
My first bass amp was a Peavey, great stuff. People keep telling me they make great tube amps too!