1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD! Thrift Shop Score (?)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Trow, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

I was browsing a thrift shop today with my wife, and just as we were about to leave, I looked on a cart and found this! The best part is, I picked her up for $6.40! Does anyone have any info on it? I haven’t gotten the chance to open her up yet, but I’ll do that tomorrow IMG_8573.JPG IMG_8574.JPG IMG_8575.JPG

Urshurak776, Ekko, studio1087 and 6 others like this.
  2. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wow. For $6.40 I'd have grabbed her too! Sorry, can't help you on the info side of things.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. rainbowbear998

rainbowbear998 Tele-Meister

That’s an awesome score! My (incredibly uneducated) guess is that it could be a Yamaha Pacifica that’s been sanded back, maybe?

studio1087 likes this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Might be one of those SAGA type kits with a homemade headstock design. Can't go wrong for the price of a Big Mac meal.

Jakedog, Tone Eee and Paul G. like this.
  5. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice score. Keep us updated on your progress.

6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Score!! :)

7. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

Cheap, generic knock-off, the body looks to be basswood or poplar. No reason it couldn't be made into a decent player.

Paul G. likes this.
  8. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

No tuners! I wouldn’t have paid more than $5!

Just kidding. Heck for that price it’s just fun to see what you got! I wish I had good deals around here. But rarely do: Yesterday I stopped my the local pawn shop here as it happen to be between two places I needed to go on the same street. I rarely go there as they seem to find how much guitars go for online and add 30%. Example: they had a pink 3/4 Squier Strat for $175. And an Epiphone Special in dinged up shape for $175. They did have a decent PRS SE but wanted $475. I’ve learned they don’t haggle much. I guess they appeal to the suckers. The Epi had an interest third party trem system added (leaving a gaping hole in the body where the original bridge had been). It wasn’t a Bigsby, was actually all matte black in color. I thought of going back when I was at lunch and offer $100 and see what they said but then forgot. Instead I bought a new neck online for my partscaster strat I’ve been meaning to upgrade from a cheap Squier neck a friend gave me.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

This is a job for GFS!

10. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

So I finally took her apart, not really shocked by anything I found. The neck is in pretty good condition, a minor twist at the last couple frets, but I think I can still work with it. It might just be a little high on the G/B/e strings.

The electronics are typical of an import. Mini pots and what not, but from what I’ve researched, the pickups might be import super distortion clones. If anyone has any more info I would greatly appreciate it.

My plans currently are to put a GFS P90 I have laying around in the bridge and call it good. I might take add a MIM single coil in the neck if I want to get fancy. I’m still undecided on a finish. I don’t know if I want to stain the basswood body, so it might get a rattle can finish.
    IMG_8576.JPG IMG_8577.JPG

studio1087 likes this.
  11. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a kit job to me. I like the curves on the headstock, and the grain on the wood. Don't give up on the stain option just yet!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

My first thought was Pacifica. I like the body woodgrain. I would sand the whole thing and rub some goof-proof light stain into and be done. A thin black stain & gloss all in one that allowed the woodgrain to show through the black would be cool. I think it has a lot of potential.

It could have started like this. Maybe??

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.