NGD, think I've finally bonded with a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bumnote, Sep 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice. Congratulations.

2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought a black 2019 classic like your but in black, I got a great deal on a demo, and I bought it with every intention of changing out the pickups and rewiring it, but as it turns out, i love the 61 bb's and i love the electronics. The pickups are nice and sweet, not the usual buzzy/muddy BB1/2 combo tone. the classics are real nice, if not terribly flash looking, right out of the box..er case.

bumnote likes this.
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Nice Les Paul; I really like the plainer top too as I find the 'tiger stripped' effect on some of them a bit to glitzy for my taste .

The Classics have the slimmer neck, especially compared to the CS models, which might be worth others looking out for too as there is quite a range of neck profiles depending which model you try: The current 50s Standards are fatter than the 60s Standards for example and the Juniors are more like the CS size.

I don't understand the slipping out from your lap thing though, but I always play stood up, even when I'm practising. My Esquire is actually heavier than either of my Les Pauls (a 'weight relieved' Tribute Gold Top and one of the new Sunburst Juniors). I've tried a new 50s Standard Gold Top and it was a very heavy guitar, so I kept my Tribute instead of trading it in...gotta know what you like, even if it isn't the most expensive model.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a 2019 Classic. Mine is cherry red. I hemmed and hawed for a couple days over whether to go with the cherry, or the honey burst. But in the end my memories of seeing Dickey Betts cherry red LP live won out.

It’s hands down the best LP I’ve ever owned. I’ve had a 75 Deluxe, a 77 custom, a 78 standard, an 86 standard, an 89 studio, an 06 studio faded, and a 13 Signature T. None of them were close to the way this guitar feels. It’s pure perfection.

I also like the 61 BB pickups, but I’ll be ditching the rest of the electronics. I’m surprised you like the split sounds. I think they’re atrocious. The phase switch is useless for me as well. And the “bypass” pot is a neat gimmick, but I’ll never use it. I’ll use the guitar as is for a bit. But ripping out the PC board and going to standard LP wiring is definitely on the future project list.

That said, it’s simply an amazing instrument. I freakin LOVE it. I love Les Pauls anyhow, but this one is super special.

bumnote likes this.
  5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Ditto! Nice top!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.