NGD - The one I always thought was out of reach

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
You were taking pictures, and your wife was thinking "New guitar. Old and beaten up. Probably a $20 yard sale purchase." :lol:

Very nice. Congrats!

Winky

Tele-Meister
I don't like relics, but the work on this one is very convincing, right down to the damage to the wood from sweat etc. The scratches and dings are also convincingly aged, rather than look like they were done yesterday.

P.S. Doesn't Summers run a 6-saddle bridge?

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't like relics, but the work on this one is very convincing, right down to the damage to the wood from sweat etc. The scratches and dings are also convincingly aged, rather than look like they were done yesterday.

P.S. Doesn't Summers run a 6-saddle bridge?
The OP said that it wasn't a true Summers reissue, just inspired by the guitar that Andy played,

Winky

Tele-Meister
The OP said that it wasn't a true Summers reissue, just inspired by the guitar that Andy played,
That's fair enough. I also much prefer the relic job on the OP's guitar to this one, for example. On this one the wood looks freshly exposed, and the edges of the finish damage/removal aren't particularly convincing.

1642793271757.png

Mr Swisher

Tele-Meister
That's fair enough. I also much prefer the relic job on the OP's guitar to this one, for example. On this one the wood looks freshly exposed, and the edges of the finish damage/removal aren't particularly convincing.

View attachment 942609

It's funny you say that because I thought the same, it's like large junks of paint have come off in one go. The relic job is identical to Andys original and he "couldn't tell the difference".

I think mines better looking. I took a long look tonight to see if I could find anything that looked unnaturally worn (like on my Fiesta Red CS where the fingerboard wear does look a bit odd) and nothing so far. They did a good job on this one.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
When I wanted to buy another guitar I would mention to the wife that I was going to the motorcycle shop when we go to town. On the 30 minute drive she would remember that I was thinking about a certain guitar and why don't I buy it instead of another motorcycle. I reply are you sure. Problem solved and I don't want another motorcycle.

Ok, but what do you do when you want another motorcycle? Get into airplanes, or just gibsons?

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Ok, but what do you do when you want another motorcycle? Get into airplanes, or just gibsons?
Actually at this point in my life I am pretty much over the wanting, needing and have to having anything. I've had a lot of motorcycles done a lot of flying and had a lot of guitars. None of that matters. I've got two sailboats that just sit there and haven't been on the water in 2 years. The one thing I still like to do is get up and go to work keeps the mind sharp and the body in condition. Right now I'm building a cedar mantle for a stone fireplace that I'm building.

Attachments

• 20220122_114821.jpg
    20220122_114821.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 15

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
As someone who just wired up my AS tribute, I can say that the brass bridge makes the guitar noticeably heavier. I was going to skip it but I am using a DiMarzio Area T in the bridge, so the brass bridge helps with the noise reduction.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
And now for some technical mumbo jumbo that I really like:

Heel adjust, no truss plug, no skunk stripe... Can't see it very well, but that must be a maple "cap" neck! So cool that they are making the correct neck.

It also has the "newer" logo and F tuners, patent number bridge... I just can't tell - do the saddles have the single groove in them? That was a period of lots of transition and that captures that narrow time period wonderfully, wear included.

Mr Swisher

Tele-Meister
And now for some technical mumbo jumbo that I really like:

Heel adjust, no truss plug, no skunk stripe... Can't see it very well, but that must be a maple "cap" neck! So cool that they are making the correct neck.

It also has the "newer" logo and F tuners, patent number bridge... I just can't tell - do the saddles have the single groove in them? That was a period of lots of transition and that captures that narrow time period wonderfully, wear included.
Yes, single groove saddles.