NGD: The G stands for Goldtop

widefault

Tele-Meister
MRajLqI.jpg

NFQbrs3.jpg

FIFLYBU.jpg

Firefly GD90, their take on the two P90 Les Paul, $227 shipped to my door. So far, that is a lot of guitar for seriously low end money. Managed to grab this in the 2nd batch they released. This is another one where they seem to be making only a few for each release.

Features, well, it's a Les Paul copy with two P90s, 2 volume, 2 tone. Very basic. Out of the box has a decent setup, not perfect but adequate. Very good for it's cost, though. Same with the fretwork, nothing sharp, good polish on them. Pickups and electronics do what they should. Sounds like P90s.

The bad. Like every Firefly I've had, there are finish flaws. In the picture of the back, there is a reflection of a rectangular vent on the ceiling, except it is deformed because there is an egg-shaped low spot right there. On the top, bass side just above the area between the pickups there is another ~2" x 1/4" spot that looks like a sanded out run in the paint. The one on the back will never be seen unless you're really looking for it, and the one on the front is parallel with the strings and kind of looks like a shadow. There is also a haze on the edges of the back/side, but that should polish out since it looks like it's just the clear coat. They're all pretty minor, and at the price I really don't care.

What do I not like? The back. It is so dark it looks black, but hold a light up to and you can see it is a very dark transparent red. I think the first batch was a more natural mahogany color, which I would have preferred, but it's not like I'm going to return it or complain too loudly. Also, wish they had gotten a better color match on the plastics.

hyXplPa.jpg

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
IMO (don’t crucify me! Please!) but LPs look better without a guard anyway. So the mixed plastics wouldn’t bother me. Nice looking guitar!

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister

What a coincidence! Yours looks a lot like the one in my avatar!

FSR.png

Sorry, it's late. I couldn't muster enough irony to express how I actually feel about Fender making a Goldtop Tele. Funny thing is that it is my favorite guitar because it is so lightweight and so easy to play. But I'd pay $200 to be able to press a button to make it crimson red transparent with a flamed maple cap.

I actually got a great deal on mine, but not $277 great. Well done and congrats!

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
That looks good! How heavy is it? It reminds me of an Agile I used to have (it even had pinkish pickup cover like this one), which was a real land anchor.

D.H.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I had a Firefly 338 copy and it was a fun guitar. At the time, they were on Amazon for $138 delivered. Swapped out the tuners and electronics and pickups, and it really sounded great (SD "Vintage Blues" set). But it was beastly heavy and I just didn't play it much, so I put it on the wall at the local guitar shop and got $300 for it. No regrets.

My current project is a 2005 MIK Hamer Sunburst that I'm doing essentially the same number on. Got it for $300 delivered in a nice HSC. Will post when it's done.