1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: Tele Style Silhouette

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by gitapik, Mar 7, 2018.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hopefully this won't be sent to the "Other Guitars" forum. I'd love to get some feedback from you Tele players, specifically.

I love the sound of a Tele but have never felt comfortable with the shape of the body and the way it hangs on a strap.

One of my favorite guitars in terms of comfort is the Music Man Silhouette and Silhouette Special.

So I saw this for sale and jumped on it. Just got it last night:

[​IMG]

(more shots here: https://imgur.com/a/sXZrv)

It's awesome!

1994 Silo hardtail.

Barden Danny Gatton pickups (not the Modern T). I'm going to keep it as is for now and work with the major twang. Kind of like how I set up my LP sound except with one tone control: set the amp/pedals so that the neck pickup is exactly as I want it, full on. Then work the tone control on the guitar to taste when switching to the other two positions. Compressor helps tame it, too, when I use it. I like the bridge tone full up for some tunes, anyway (want to work on Gatton's version of "In My Room" for instance).

The pickups are very accurate and powerful. Gotta have both right and left technique together to make them sound right (I read that in a thread here and it's definitely true). They're really, really nice. I know they're expensive, etc (etc, etc, etc)...but I'm gonna get the most out of them and see where it goes from there.

The Silo itself had a choke when I'd vibrato off a bend on the high E string/14th fret, but I switched to 10s (came with 9s) and it sounds great now.

Love this guitar. Tele sound out of a 6.2 lb body and neck/fingerboard that works perfectly for me.

Any comments, words of advice, etc would be appreciated. I'm mainly a Strat/LP player but this ax is incredible.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Cheap Trills and bsman like this.
  2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

90 % of what I use is Musicman. Save my Tele, really. I myself don't think they offer anything to cover the Tele.
    My Albert Lee comes the most close. It just doesnt look the part.
    Should be able to download images and then retreve them. Might need to keep yer finger on the image a minute longer.

gitapik likes this.
  3. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

gitapik likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.