1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - SX Vintage Series

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Swoop, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Swoop

Swoop Tele-Meister

Purchased this on the local auction site recently for the small sum of $150NZ. It's an SX Vintage series Strat. I've been lusting for a Strat again recently, so I bought this to fill the void until I can afford the Strat I envisage in my head.

Here it is with my Deluxe Reverb.
    [​IMG]

Proper Strat headstock
    [​IMG]

For such a cheap guitar, it sounds and plays pretty excellently. I polished the frets and gave the fingerboard a lick of oil, and bends are ridiculously easy. The fingerboard is a nice, smooth, dark slab of rosewood, as good as you'd see on a much more expensive guitar. While I had the steel wool out, I knocked the shine off the rest of the neck, which is much nicer to play.

The pickups are bright and chimey, and do the Knopfler sound pretty well, which is precisely what I was after. They lack a bit of definition and fullness to get them all the way there though. For such little coin though, I'm not surprised nor bothered.

2. Brendo

Brendo Tele-Holic

Nice score. I've got a couple of bids lined up on SX strats, we'll see how they go over the next day or two. Glad you like it so much.

3. Swoop

Swoop Tele-Meister

Probably worth mentioning too that this is my second SX Strat. I had one just like this a while back, and it too was very good. The Lake Placid Blue finish had faded to this sort of metallic surf green (the original colour was still visible beneath the pickguard) which looked really cool. This one has a nicer fingerboard though. The inlays even look like aged clay, though I can't imagine they really are.

4. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I'd love to find a LPB SX strat - especially with the Fender shaped headstock.......or even the older US style that Rondo Music sold. I have 2 of the latter (not LPB or rosewood boards, though) and with a few inexpensive mods they're great players. Congrats!:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.