1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: Surfcaster! FSR Candy Apple Red w/Bigsby

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cschlish, May 18, 2011.

1. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Hey Guys,

Just picked one of these up yesterday from GC's used site for $199 and got them to wave shipping costs. I've been looking to put together a Rockabilly/Surfcaster for awhile now and finally pulled the trigger on this to use as a base for the Mods.

My question is to those that know for sure, what's the neck profile like on these?

I'm hoping for some beef, one guy on the Squier forum described it as "Baseball bat fat." Although I'm sure that will not be the case for me, since I play a Allparts TMO Fat Baseball Bat! I'm hoping at least for the Squier Custom profile? As far as fit and finish goes, I don't really care. I can turn any neck into feeling like a million bucks, but I can't make it bigger!

I really wanted a Thinline, Double Bound or a Seafoam/Surf Green body for this and didn't get any...But getting the B50 already included made it too economical to pass up! I'm gonna put a GFS Surf 90 in the neck first and then figure out what traditional Tele Bridge PU to pair with it later after I know the output of the Surf 90. I'm planning on moving over my Baja control panel with the S1 switching to it, since I've been wanting to upgrade my Baja's components anyway and plan to go back to a tradional 3-way. Tiny pic of my new project hangin in the store and a the bigger pics belongs to guys on the Squier forum...I'll update pics when it arrives and through the transformation process!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great deal. The Bigsby alone for two bills already installed is worth it! Great buy man! No help here on how the neck will feel, sorry.

3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    You might want to just turn up the reverb and play it like it is for a while...see what you have...

Sort of like tasting your food before you add the salt and pepper.

If you know what I mean.

:)

4. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

"You might want to just turn up the reverb and play it like it is for a while...see what you have...

Sort of like tasting your food before you add the salt and pepper.

If you know what I mean
    ."

No doubt I can get a good tone that would work as is, but I've played the Surf 90's and no traditional Tele neck pickup will give me that tone.

Plus I don't like to over use effects and I have many pickups in other guitars that cost as much or more than this guitar does, so usually after playing those and then going to most stock pu's I find I want an upgrade...

5. jmgruber

jmgruber Tele-Meister

Great deal on a great guitar. I also don't know about the neck, however I think for the s1 switching you will need a neck pickup with three wires and and the surf 90 only has hot and ground, correct?

6. byarbor

byarbor TDPRI Member

Sweet guitar. I tried one at the local GC back in the winter and when I came back a day or so later after deciding to buy it it was gone and they've never got another one. You got a heckuva good deal on it and I've been watching GC's used gear but I missed this. Congratulations. It is very nice.

7. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Congrats. At $199, that's difficult to pass up.

8. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Thanks! Yeah, I have a 2 wire Rio Grande in the neck of my Baja right now that I have to mod and run a third wire for the Cover ground if I keep that control panel for everything to work right. I'm sure I can make it work somehow, but if not I'll do something else...

9. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Thanks, you'll see them start turning up more and more I'm sure. You can always make one too, grab a used CV for $250 if you don't mind the thinner necks and slap a Bigsby on it. Just file some notches in the back of the bridge for the strings to pass over. It actually works better and retains more Tele tone than my bridge setup will. If the CVC or the white CV50 had a bigger neck, then that's the route I would've went for sure!

10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

The pic with the little tweed amp is mine. The neck is no where near baseball bat, but it's not too thin either. Mine has a nice bit of flame on the neck as a bonus. Only changes I made was putting on a mint 3 ply guard and a new control plate because the original plate didn't fit the new PG. The pups are decent, definitely "tele" sounding. Stays in tune great and it's a fun guitar to play. I just got done running through "After Dark" (from the Dusk til Dawn) on mine and then saw this thread.

11. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Great Pic Bones! That was my favorite on I found posted online. Thanks for the info on the neck, kinda what I figured.

I assume you've had a chance to play at least one of the CV 50's & 60's Strats or Tele's. Would you say it's fatter than those, even a little bit? That's what I'm hoping for, I've got rid of all the Classic vibes I've ever had just because of the thinish necks.

12. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

You scored a homer with that one. Nice guitar.

13. OuttaspaceMan

OuttaspaceMan Tele-Afflicted

Outstanding grab! $199 with a bigsby? Congrats!

14. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Bones, do you happen to have a pic of it with the mint gaurd on it?

15. Bones

yes, you posted it, mint green doesn't photograph well at all, always comes out white unless you are photographing a white guitar.

16. Bones

I sold both my CVC tele and my CV50s Tele because the necks were too puny, I kept this guitar, so it at the very least feels bigger than those. I like this guitar so much, the "extra" fret doesn't bother me at all and normally I can't even stand to look at a tele with 22 frets.:D

17. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Great News, Thanks Bones! I'm gonna put the White/Chrome GFS Surf 90 below in the neck, I'll have to figure out whether a White or Mint guard will look better with it...Thanks Again!

Attached Files:

18. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Nice job. I saw that one online at GC. I had just bought a bsb fsr. I love the candy apple red. I don't like reds usually, but i love that rich color. Enjoy

19. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm not big on Red either. That's why I let it sit there for about a week before I finally pulled the trigger after a really dry week for Tele's on SD craigslist. But, I can do red in 335's and Tele's with a rosewood neck. I was really shocked it sat there so long, but they missed spelled it in the add. So I would only see it when I typed in Bigsby. I guess it was meant to be, since I tried everything I could not to buy it!:lol:

20. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

It is kind of odd, I have a 2 wire Rio Grande hooked up in the neck and without the S1 switching engaged only the neck and bridge positions work properly. But, when I engaged the S1 switch today, all four positions worked well. I really would like to get my standard middle position tone back though, it's one of my favorites...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.