NGD Strat copy, Peavey Raptor Plus

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by LGOberean, Sep 28, 2019.

1. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yep, that should be an easy fix. Just align those strings over the fretboard. I wouldn’t be too fussy about the pickups themselves. They should be very close by the time you get the strings lined up.

I noticed the truss rod adjuster wheel in one of the other photos. I’ve only seen them in the American higher end Strats. I think it was the Elite Strat that has a similar adjuster. That looks pretty handy.

LGOberean likes this.
  2. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Congratulations on a great find!

LGOberean likes this.
  3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Truss rod adjuster. Those pics look like it may need a little oil in it.

I played one of those back in the day and they are great playing economical guitars. I saw one on CL for sale here in Dallas for $50, it was gone in thirty minutes of the posting.
    I also am not sure but it seems like those pickups had larger than normal pole pieces too.

LGOberean likes this.
  4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, Preach. And about the pole pieces, when I looked at them, I thought they looked larger than I remembered, too. But then again, I’ve never owned a Strat (or Strat copy) before, so I thought maybe it was just me.

5. LGOberean

We’re camping for the night at South Bend Toledo State Park in Louisiana, and it has good cell phone reception here. So I accessed Peavey’s “Archived Manuals,” and found this spec sheet on the Raptor Plus.

So this answers several of the questions already touched on in this thread: the date (the spec sheet is copyrighted 1998), the “wrenchless...adjustment wheel,” the “wide top pole piece single coil pickups,” and the “Metallic Garnet Red” color.

0E781D91-CE29-46EF-8EB5-22050E1988B1.jpeg

awasson likes this.
  6. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

can you move the neck a bit sideways, zo headstock to the left of the body.
    if the neckpocket has some room the strings will line up better.
    like awasson wrote, i would not bother the lineup with the pickups, you will have enough sound.

i think you will have a lot of fun with it ;-)

7. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I have his cousin the Peavey Predator. I put in some used MIM Fender pickups. After that I never saw a need for a real Strat. DSCN3264.JPG

wrathfuldeity, awasson and LGOberean like this.
  8. LGOberean

As I’ve said, the only time I’ve heard what these pickups sound like is when I test drove it in that Tupelo pawn shop, through a small SS Marshall practice amp. All I can say is that I wasn’t turned off by the stock pups in the store. By this time tomorrow I’ll be home, and I’ll get an idea of what to expect.

preactor likes this.
  9. LGOberean

Okay, time for an update. I've been home now for 5 days, and I've played my new to me Raptor Plus through my own amps: Vox Pathfinder 15Rs and a Roland CUBE-15. Through the latter amp, since it has no onboard effects, I put my BOSS ME-70 multi-fx in front of it, and I get my choice of effects. I've used the ME-70's OD-1 setting for grit, and the reverb and tremolo for comparison purposes to my Pathfinders, since they have both 'verb and trem built in. I've also run it through the various COSM amp models of that multi pedal.

As was observed early on after I first posted pics, the strings don't line up with the pole pieces, the high E is close the edge of the fretboard. The good news is that hasn't posed any big problems in playing. The high E string doesn't "fall off the edge" when I'm playing, and those "wide top pole piece single coil pickups" seem to do what Peavey claimed, giving a "bigger string window with more focus."

The pickups from all comments and what I've read I'm assuming to be ceramic, and they do sound Strat-like to my Strat-newbie ears. But while they are serviceable, they don't have what I would call a "sweetness" to them. Not "harsh," per se, but just not sweet. One of the things that surprised me a little was in the 2 & 4 positions, there is a quack sound, but also what sounds to my ears as a bit muffled. Is that normal for those Strat positions? I've never lived with a Strat or copy in my own home and through my own amps before, just wondering if that is a characteristic of Peaveys or ceramics or if it's common to most Strats.

One thing I haven't warmed up to (yet?) is the ergonomics of the guitar. For some reason, this guitar seems to want to slide off my thigh (I play sitting down). I've never dealt with this with my teles. Again, I'm wondering if this is a Strat thing or just a Peavey Raptor Plus thing. The body shape is more of an offset than a Strat, with a pretty small horn on that lower (treble) side. The lower bout seems more asymmetrical to me than a Strat. And not that there is a sharp edge to tele bodies, but this Raptor Plus seems more rounded than tele (I don't know how it compares to Strats on this).
    09-28-2019 - Peavey Raptor Plus - 3.jpg
    09-28-2019 - Peavey Raptor Plus - 6.jpg

Speaking of not warming up to, I don't like the body shape. I don't know why I didn't see this before I bought it. And I had seen Raptors before, so I should have picked up on it right away. I guess I was so focused on the Strat-ish pickguard and pickups, the two-knob layout and the feel of the neck that I just didn't notice. Now that I've lived with it a while, I see it, and it doesn't appeal to me. That very asymmetrical lower bout looks weird to me, and the horn on the upper side is long and odd-looking.

Oh, well, no regrets. Coming back from a trip to Mississippi with a Mississippi brand guitar was a nice souvenir. Even if I don't keep it, which at this point seems likely, I will have had the experience with it that will help broaden my Stratocaster horizons, and help inform and direct the continuing search. I've contemplated taking it into Clawson's Music (local Pop, Son & Grandson institution) and seeing what they will give in trade for a Squier Classic Vibe '50s Strat. We'll see. I definitely want to play it some more.

preactor likes this.
  10. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’d say that lack of sweetness is just the characteristic of ceramic pickups. I’ve always found ceramic Strat pickups to be a bit gnarly and great for aggressive rock and blues but not truly sweet sounding like a lower output set of Alnico pickups.

My favourite affordable name brand pickups would be the CS69’s. They really are a sweet set and have some nice detail to them.

The cheaper alternative which is a little hotter are the Donlis DS53 set: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/531493155.html

I haven’t checked their pickups out and I probably should but I’ll bet Bootstrap could hook you up with a set of sweet sounding pickups for not a whole lot of money. It would be worth reaching out to them. He is a member here and quite responsive too: https://bootstrappickups.com/collections/s-style

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.