NGD Strat copy, Peavey Raptor Plus

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by LGOberean, Sep 28, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, earlier this afternoon I posted to my own “Budget Strat Copies” thread, saying I had just pulled the trigger, purchasing a budget strat copy. I promised details in a new thread. This is that thread.

My wife and I are on an RV camping trip, and we’re currently staying in The Tombigbee State Park (beautiful park, BTW), in Tupelo, Mississippi. Part of our entertainment is to do “antiquing,” which for me means resale and pawn shops, looking for guitars and amps. That’s a luck of the draw kind of deal, but that’s also part of the fun.

So we went to town today, and what I did (besides visiting a CW battlefield) was check out pawn shops. My wife and I went to a resale shop, but they had few guitars, none that interested me. They also had a Peavey TKO115 bass amp, but again, not interested. A pawn shop had a Peavey Rage, but I wasn’t looking for that, either.

But as the saying goes, the third time’s a charm. This pawn shop had several guitars, all strung with 6 good strings and all pretty clean. There were a couple of other Strat copies, but brands I never heard of. But they also had a Peavey Raptor Plus. And that’s what I bought.

I haven’t looked up specs on the model yet, so this is just what I can observe: rosewood fretboard (I would have preferred a maple board, but that’s okay), 3 pickups (I’m assuming ceramic), 5-way selector, Volume & 1 Tone (which doesn’t work on the bridge pup). The finish is a metallic dark burgundy color, or so it appears to me.

The neck is what sold me. The profile feels slightly flatter than a C, but it’s neither thin nor chunky. It’s just really comfortable. The frets are in good shape, not very much wear, and no rough edges up or down the neck.

The hang tag read $129, I offered a C-note, and the guy sold it to me for that. I’m happy enough with that.

I tried three times to upload a pic from my phone, each time failed. I just have 1-2 bars right now in this state park. So, pics later...

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Schrödinger's Cat says this event has not happened until the pictures uploaded

3. LGOberean

:lol::lol::lol:

Okay, then, I’ll just noodle around unplugged on this yet to exist Raptor Plus until I can get better cell phone reception and post pics! :twisted:

mkdaws32, awasson and PlainAllman like this.
  4. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Does it look like this?
    upload_2019-9-28_18-22-17.jpeg

mkdaws32, LGOberean and Rev Rhythm like this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

AAAAgh! there is no picture of me posted.o_O Does that mean that I don't exist?:D

mkdaws32 and LGOberean like this.
  6. LGOberean

Kinda, but mine is a darker color, like burgundy. Yours in that pic looks more wine-colored. And mine is SSS, not HSS. Oh, and the switch tip is missing on mine.

7. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I just found that picture online. I like the idea of two knob guitars. Peavey makes some great instruments. Congrats and enjoy.

8. LGOberean

Oh, I misunderstood, thought it was yours. Yeah, I like the two-knob arrangement as well. The Volume knob isn’t right up against the bridge pickup, which is easier for me. I just wish that the Tone knob also worked for the bridge pickup. I don’t like not having any choice but tone wide open there.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  9. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Yes

Your post also does not exist, and nor does this reply

10. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nice find Larry! I think those Peavey guitars are real bargains.

mkdaws32 and LGOberean like this.
  11. LGOberean

We’ve got good cell phone reception right now (Wal-Mart parking lot), so let me try again to include pics.
    E3E6C927-117B-4D17-B67D-E61912730C09.jpeg 67BB2354-591B-49B9-80D4-0592F3CCA098.jpeg 2962777E-B8F8-4C52-8C45-5BA043C4B5AC.jpeg 7F5F6FAD-35E4-4ED0-B444-2140A7D8943D.jpeg

Yay! It worked!

teletimetx, djh22, Slap Axe and 4 others like this.
  12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I had an original MIA Peavey Raptor - it got stolen :(

Great guitars. Congrats!

13. LGOberean

I hesitate to hit the “Like” button for a story about a stolen guitar :(, but thanks.

14. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

That is nice. Any idea what year it is? I guess Peavey is still using the bilaminate neck. I love the mystic I have. It’s a great player.

15. LGOberean

I don’t know the year. Near as I can tell, the serial # doesn’t match up with USA made Peavey guitars from 1990-95, so I’m assuming it was made later somewhere in the Far East.

I’m still not home from our trip, but when I get home, I can look it up in my copy of Fjestad’s Blue Book of Electric Guitars. Hopefully that will help narrow down the year, as well as give more specs.

But as for how it plays, like I said, the neck is what sold me. It plays well and feels good.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  16. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

if my eyes don't fool me something is off.
    the strings don't line up with the polepieces.
    could be the bridge is to far to the right, high E strings seems to go over the edge of the fretboard.
    but all is tweak-able ;-)

17. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

It does look a little off like hopdybob says. Whats that little notch at the bottom of the fingerboard?

18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had one with the bridge HB ... Great guitars !!! Mine had locking tuners ... Trans green with a poplar body ...IMO The body design is more ergonomic and more comfortable that a strat ... whatever PUs they use have a great clean sound ...

19. LGOberean

Y’all’re right.*. The high E string rides right on the edge of the fretboard, while the low E is indented in a little bit. Consequently, the strings don’t line up with the pole pieces.

I didn’t really notice any difference when I was test-driving it in the pawn shop (through a little SS Marshall amp), but I’ve been playing it since unplugged (I didn’t bring an amp with me on this camping trip). I’ll report back on this after I get home.

As for the “little notch at the bottom of the fretboard,” I was going to ask about that. The notch accommodates what looks like a rotary dial for the truss rod. (No truss rod access on the headstock.) I think I’ve read about these before, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen one. Anybody have any experience with this?

* Well, that was a Texas expression! Every now and again, I’ll say something or hear it in my head and think nothing of it. But then I’ll “go to writin’ it down,” and I realize, “Good Lord, I’m a hick!” :oops:

20. LGOberean

Meant to post these pics in my previous post.
    5B32730A-9785-46C8-A6B4-460C5CA49DC9.jpeg 156735D1-82CE-4E37-83C3-CF7B903273A6.jpeg

idjster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.