1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mbell75, Jul 7, 2017.

1. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

My first Squier and my first Jaguar and I must say, Im pretty impressed. I was second guessing myself and thinking I should have paid the extra for the Fender Classic Player Jag, but I dont like the 3 color sunburst color and the Squier was half the price. Fit and finish is just as nice as my MIM Fender Duo Sonic and the pickups actually sound better IMO. The rhythm circuit just has a thickness to it that I really like, beefier than any single coil I can think of aside from maybe a hot P90. The amount of tones available between the rhythm and the lead circuits is excellent. Especially combined with all the different amps available on my Marshall Code. Only downside Ive come across is the well documented buzz from the bridge, but it really doesn't bother me since its not audible thru my amp. It also comes with 9s which is not a good fit at all on a 24" scale guitar. I'll be putting on 10s, possible 11s tomorrow. All in all, for $399, I think its an excellent value.

Jag1.jpg

studio1087, gee., bigblksun66 and 6 others like this.
  2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

That is a nice looking guitar !

3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

That's the color I wanted my son to get but he like the sunburst!

I swapped out the bridge for a Tuna-Matic.

He uses 9's on it.

4. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Happy NGD! I love the color. Someday I need to get me an offset like that.

mbell75 likes this.
  5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Nice axe! I REALLY dig these Squier VM offsets- they were a steal at $300, and still well worth $400. After a good setup they'e solid guitars, but you really need to spend some time with them first to get the bridge dialed in. And the pickups sound great. I'm not normally a fan of overwound pickups, but the overwound bridge pickups on the VM Jaguar and Jazzmaster counteract the natural brightness of the guitars and sound pretty good. I like my VM Jazzmaster better than the MIJ I had that cost 3x as much.

If you're not familiar with the peculiarities of the Jaguar bridge, I'd suggest doing some reading to get familiar with it. After shimming the neck and applying locktite to the bridge, my VMs have nice low action with .010s and stay in tune nicely, even with my hamhanded trem abuse.

6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Awesome! I've been thinking about getting one of those too!

7. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

That's a nice one!

Happy NGD!

Surf's Up!

8. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Tuna matic? Sounds fishy! ;-)

9. zhyla

zhyla Tele-Meister

I hemmed and hawed about the Squier Jaguar and Jazzmaster and ended up going with the Jazzmaster. Still sort of want a Jaguar too but just didn't care for any of the colors. The green looks great in that photo but in person it really bothered me.

The Squier line of offsets is just plane trouble. Great, inexpensive versions of uncommon Fender models. And lots of them. I sorta want a Bass VI now because... no reason at all :)

mbell75 likes this.
  10. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

The Squier VM Jag is so much nicer than the Classic Player. I liked it even better than the 60s lacquer CP jag I had too. The stock bridge works great. Just set it up correctly and rock out. Congrats!

mbell75 likes this.
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Cool guitar..you'll have to learn this one...;)

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's fishy.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Nice.

Great color

mbell75 likes this.
  14. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone. Forgot to mention I put Fender 10s on it and got a setup and it plays awesome!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.