NGD - Squier Mustang Bullet

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Maroonandwhite, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It has arrived! I played it for a little while after unboxing it and immediately decided to strip it apart and put 11’s on it. It feels very squirrelly with the stock 9’s.
    The neck wasn’t bad by any means but wasn’t completely smooth. I went over it with some sandpaper. 400-500-600-800-1000. It’s baby butt smooth now.
    The frets were pretty rough feeling. I hit them with some steel wool and they are much better now. I also went over the entire neck with some lemon oil.

Oddly enough the setup was dang near perfect if not just a hair low. With 11’s it’s spot on. I only had to adjust one saddle down 1/4 turn.

The two negatives I can find are that the high E string is a tad too close to the fret end. I am also hearing chords slightly out of tune. I assume that is an intonation issue. The problem is that it seems like it’s pretty close as far as my TU-3 says. The saddles do look like they are spaced apart a good bit but I’m not familiar with 24” scales.

Overall I’m pleased with it. I may upgrade the electronics down the road if I’m still happy with it. I may also put 10’s on it next go around just to see how it feels.
    I’ll solicit someone advice on the out of tune chords if anyone has some.
    8C8189A9-2F17-4D2D-970E-62F1EC7211DC.jpeg B1A605C9-C290-4E9D-BC09-4F0D71E5FB42.jpeg 376C1CD4-7C6A-47F8-B5D6-4E4DC65DAB39.jpeg 418635FE-AE1F-4C2A-ADB3-0242D0A347D1.jpeg C9A5068F-5CB8-4524-BB96-180BD27E79AE.jpeg

2. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Such a good guitar for the money..heck , its just a good guitar. The pickups do their own thing..congrats & enjoy ! I def like mine

Maroonandwhite likes this.
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I love a short scale guitar...
    Easier to play on the couch...

Sweet guitar !!!!

Maroonandwhite and bftfender like this.
  4. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So I was wrong. The intonation was out a little. I’ve discovered it’s my fretting hand though. The nut is a decent amount taller than what I’m used to so I am putting too much pressure and bending the notes out of tune. I guess that’s a good enough excuse to put a bone nut in. Also a good excuse to buy the files and tools needed for the job. I’m not paying someone to do this on a $150 guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.