1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: Squier Cyclone

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by caliban335, Jul 27, 2013.

1. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

I took delivery on this guitar on Thursday. They don't even show up on the Squier web site and I've read that they're only available from MF (where I got mine), so there's no way to try one out unless you know someone who already owns one. The price was low enough that I figured it would be safe to take a chance and I'm really pleased with the build quality of the body and neck. As expected, the hardware is low end. The Strat-style trem gets in the way when I reach for the volume control. I may replace it with a Mustang bridge/trem assembly.

The pickups are not very good. The bridge humbucker is muddy and indistinct, while the Strat neck pickup is just OK. I'd like to replace the stock pickups with a Duncan P-Rails in the bridge and a better quality Strat pickup in the neck, but I can't find any wiring diagrams for that setup. The vast majority of the diagrams I've seen assume two P-Rails will be installed. If anyone has pointers to a P-Rails - Strat scheme, I'd be appreciative.

Here it is.

[​IMG]

2. blotchard

blotchard Tele-Meister

Cool guitar, congrats!

The thing about SD P-Rails is that to get the most out of those pickups,
    you'd either need the pickup surrounds that are supplied by SD, or add some extra switching.

3. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I have that same guitar. The pickups in mine sound
    (shockingly) fantastic. Maybe I got a different run.

4. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

I believe fender made a cyclone or awhile before they moved it to squier briefly. They also made a "toronado" [sic]. Kind of a more practical take on mustangs, jags, and jazzmasters.

5. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

Fender made the original Cyclone briefly in the US and then moved production to Mexico. The original Cyclone had the H-S pickup configuration like mine, but with better pickups. The Cyclone II was also made in Mexico and came with three AVRI Jaguar pickups and Jaguar-style slider controls to select/deselect the individual pickups. My Cyclone was made in Indonesia.

6. Bwilson

Bwilson TDPRI Member

I've got a cyclone that's modded the crap out of, but is a fantastic playing guitar. The neck and bridge feel fantastic together.

7. gogirlguitars

gogirlguitars Tele-Holic

Just got one today from MF, the red, black and sb are $149 shipped

I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere, the cyclone is not even on the squier site.

Luckily I have a solid brass trem block that I hope will fit this, loads of part in my kit to deck this out

8. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i did a refinish on a squier cyclone not that long ago for a friend. it was the same color as the OP's guitar... and i redid it in shell pink. i'm not a fan of the shorter scale... but the action and finish on it were both very well done.

9. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I had one of these a bit ago, but I sold it on.

I turned mine into a Musicmaster style guitar

[​IMG]

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Is the back contoured?

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Cool guitars. I love the shape of those Fender Guitars. Thy remind me of Adrian Belew's tricked out twang bar king guitars in the 80's......

[​IMG]

12. gogirlguitars

gogirlguitars Tele-Holic

Got mine today, but alas the bass side strings very close to the edge of the fretboard, noticeable difference on the treble side. Maybe nut? But the strings are not sitting right. Treble side starts fine at the nut, but by the 15th fret it's gone in and the bass side out.

I guess I can uncsrew the neck a give it a yank, put them in the correct position and re screw. It's either that or the bridge is a little too far on the treble side. Things like that really annoy me - apparently you have to pay MF shipping it back. Will call them tomorrow if the subtle neck re position does not work.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Try calling them. I bought a Squier for mt son that had a warped neck. I called and told them that the guitar was defective from the manufacturer. It was a stinker from the start. They emailed a UPS prepaid label and covered the return. They shipped another guitar prepaid shipping.

If they sent a defective guitar, it shouldn't cost you anything to get it swapped out for an acceptable guitar. Call and talk to them. Get a different guitar. You'll feel better for a long time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.