NGD: Squier CVC Esquire (60s) LPB

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by havlma1, May 17, 2021.

1. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

A month ago I've placed an order for one of the new Squier Esquires. I've always wanted a Lake Placid Blue double bound tele and also an Esquire to complement my vintage white 50s Classic Vibe and black CVC Telecasters (https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-squier-classic-vibe-custom-fsr-black-nos-2013.1038518/). The guitar arrived today, so here are my quick thoughts.

Specs:

Made in Indonesia (ISSBxxxxx...) Samick factory
    Nato body, Lake Placid Blue color, double bound
    Parchment pickguard
    Indian Laurel fretboard
    AlNiCo 5 pickup
    Treble bleed circuit

Pros:
    * great looking guitar, especially the LPB body and parchment pickguard match very nicely together
    * vintage tuners which I prefer
    * good quality 3 way switch (just like Fender) and full size pots
    * good quality knurled knobs
    * modern C neck - not too thin, standard neck width just like other Classic Vibe Telecasters.

Cons:
    * narrow string spacing, the nut spacing beeween low e and high E strings is about 2mm narrower than on my Made in China Classic vibes. Feels very narrow and this was a great disappointment for me. I don't get it why they made it narrower
    * frets are not polished, while bending the string you feel the movement on a rough fret surface
    * very high setup from the factory (but this is easy to fix)
    * the Indian Laurel fretboard doesn't look very nice. In fact I haven't seen any Laurel fretboard which looks nice (EDIT: I mean IL looks usually nice on promotional photos, but as I have to buy guitars online, it is always a surprise how the fretboard will look like. And with IL there is a big variety of how it can look like.)
    * the forward position on the 3way switch has significant volume drop, I don't find it useful at all
    * the middle position on the 3 way switch with tone completely open sounds very similar to the last position wher the tone is bypassed

Overall I have a mixed feeling about the guitar. It is the second Made in Indonesia Squier I purchased and just like the first one I'll return the guitar within 14 days return period. I like the guitar looks, but it would need some luther tasks (standard nut with a correct sting spacing) and sound wise I didn't find it interesting too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] ,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    hemmings, Censport, mimmo and 9 others like this.
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

@havlma1 that looks like a good guitar. I love the LPB.

I have some thoughts, and some of them are very direct.

1. That's a puzzle. The nut itself should be wider than your MIC CV.
    MIC CV Tele = 1.625" = 41.3 MM
    MII CV Esquire = 1.650" = 42 MM
    It's possible that the nut was cut with an narrower spacing. A difference of 0.7 MM is very small, though. If you stop thinking about the spacing and run through some songs, does it play well?

2. Yeah, that varies. The old MIC CVs were well-polished. It wouldn't make any functional difference to me. Play the guitar for a week and the frets get polished, where it matters, by the strings.

3. High is a disappointment, but it's best to assume that any new guitar will need a setup to play its best and suit your preferences. In my case, it's often true because I want my action higher than factory action, expecially with Teles.

4. If you've never seen one that you liked, why did you buy this guitar?

5. That's strange. It's difficult to know how these Esquires are wired, because from the marketing descriptions the wiring isn't the traditional type. From descriptions of the posiitons: 1st: (toward the bridge), volume control only, no tone control in the circuit. 2nd: volume and tone controls. 3rd: (toward the bridge), volume control only, no tone in the circuit. From the descriptions, 1st and 3rd switch positions are identical, which doesn't make sense to me. Without being able to look at a wiring diagram for these Esquiers, I have no idea why you get a volume drop in 3rd position. You shouldn't, if the wiring in 3rd replicates the wiring in 1st.

6. It's working as designed. There might be a bit of residual resistance, but when the tone control is "wide open" it's at minimum resistance and 2nd position should sound the same as 1st and 3rd positions.

I hope you get this worked out. After a good setup, that should be a fine guitar for you.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Gorgeous! Looks like a much more expensive guitar. Congrats!

hemmings and Fendereedo like this.
  4. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

1. That's a puzzle. The nut itself should be wider than your MIC CV.
    MIC CV Tele = 1.625" = 41.3 MM
    MII CV Esquire = 1.650" = 42 MM
    It's possible that the nut was cut with an narrower spacing. A difference of 0.7 MM is very small, though. If you stop thinking about the spacing and run through some songs, does it play well?

- the neck width is exactly the same on MIC CV and CVC Tela and on this MII CV Esqure, just the narrower spacing of the strings. It was 2 mm. When I played it it felt too narrow - that was the reason I started to measure it.

2. Yeah, that varies. The old MIC CVs were well-polished. It wouldn't make any functional difference to me. Play the guitar for a week and the frets get polished, where it matters, by the strings.
    - OK

3. High is a disappointment, but it's best to assume that any new guitar will need a setup to play its best and suit your preferences. In my case, it's often true because I want my action higher than factory action, expecially with Teles.
    - I agree, no problem to set it lower, but on my other Tele's it was not needed, they were set up correctly from the factory.

4. If you've never seen one that you liked, why did you buy this guitar?
    - I have probably expressed myself in a wrong way. I mean on promo photos even Indian Laurel looks good. The problem is I don't live in a big city, music stores where I can see those guitars on-site are like 2 and more hours drive (one way). For this reason I need to buy remotely and you never know what is in the box. So far I had a bad luck on ugly IL fretboards.

5. That's strange. It's difficult to know how these Esquires are wired, because from the marketing descriptions the wiring isn't the traditional type. From descriptions of the posiitons: 1st: (toward the bridge), volume control only, no tone control in the circuit. 2nd: volume and tone controls. 3rd: (toward the bridge), volume control only, no tone in the circuit. From the descriptions, 1st and 3rd switch positions are identical, which doesn't make sense to me. Without being able to look at a wiring diagram for these Esquiers, I have no idea why you get a volume drop in 3rd position. You shouldn't, if the wiring in 3rd replicates the wiring in 1st.
    - this one has the classic Esquire wiring, so toward the bridge (3rd position) it's only volume, middle position is volume and tone control, 1st position (toward the neck) is volume and a fixed capacitor.

6. It's working as designed. There might be a bit of residual resistance, but when the tone control is "wide open" it's at minimum resistance and 2nd position should sound the same as 1st and 3rd positions.
    - OK.

I hope you get this worked out. After a good setup, that should be a fine guitar for you.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction Tele-Meister

I've got an appointment (covid, appointment only at the local music shop) to check out a couple of classic vibes in a week or two. Admittedly they're teles, not esquires, but this has been a good run through and I will probably keep it in mind for pointers to look for when I try the CVs out myself.

If you do return it, any idea what you might try next?

6. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

It’s a stunner. This is one that caught my eye. Enjoy!

7. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

I'm put off by your notes about the frets, but I think I'm still in. I'm really into LPB right now, AND a double bound LPB even more so.

8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

It looks great though. Shame about the issues.

Oddly, projected US arrival date in in July.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

I think my search in Tele and Strat area is over, I found out I'm good with what I already have. Maybe I'll look into Jazzmaster or some Semi-hollow territory, something with P90s or so. But let's see..

EDIT: that CVC Esquire - if the nut is replaced I think the guitar is really nice and can be a keeper. I just realized I don't want to invest extra money in it and also it is not that different compared to my other Telecasters. Whenever I have more guitars which are basically the same, I keep only one or two at maximum.

BackwaterJunction and Fendereedo like this.
  10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Flush-mountered ferrules -- nice manufacturing touch!! Now why can't they do that on MIMs and MIAs??

TeleUpNorth and Fendereedo like this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Interesting that the necks are the same width at the nut, despite the published spec. Not the first time that's happened. A new net, cut to your requirements, is what's needed.

I understand about buying sight unseen re the fretboard. One of the reasons I buy from Sweetwater, when I can't buy locally, is their pictures. You can't always do that, though.

It makes sense that yours is wired traditionally vs. the crazy description in the marketing copy. There may be a perceived volume drop in the 3rd position due to the extreme roll-off of the high end.

If you don't dig it, and already have that tonal territory covered, you'll find what you really want down the road. :)

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Regarding switch positions, the "bridge" position should be a "dark" circuit. It was designed to sound similar a bass or baritone. On my CV 50s I just got, it has two caps and a resistor on that circuit. I can't tell from your photo, but I can only discern the two caps on the switch. on mine, the resistor is in series as I recall with one of the caps. So all of this comes into play when you select the "neck" position. By design it gets dark and murky. I really like it, but others just wire it to taste. I think some people rewire it to bypass both tone and volume pots.

You should notice a tad more high end on position 1 than position 2 because the T pot is being bypassed - similar to diming a no-load tone pot.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I'm amazed by the electronics and switch.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Some Dunlop 65 will perk up that fretboard, fine looking guitar, love the bound LPB

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. Kungpow!

Kungpow! Tele-Meister

How does it sound? How does it play?

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.