1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Squier Classic Vibe '50s Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mellencaster, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just pick up used Squier Classic Vibe '50s Stratocaster today , I love the look and feel of it :D. I'm curious about the wiring, are the pots mini or they full size 250 K ? I might replace 5 way switch for a better quality one . Any upgrade suggestion that I might need to do , thanks

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  2. Mellencaster

3. fender62custom

fender62custom Tele-Holic

congrats!!! excellent guitar!!

4. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

The pots are mini, the switch is junk the jack is also . Put CTS and CRL and switchcraft in and away ya go. The Stock stuff works ok but...

Oh and for the few extra bucks a new steel or brass block is good to toss in as well.

www.guitarfetish.com sell a block at a good price get the mexican spec block

heres a link http://www.guitarfetish.com/Steel-and-Brass-Tremolo-Upgrade-Blocks_c_216.html

May be cheaper or easier to just get the whole trem at 37 bucks here
    http://www.guitarfetish.com/Made-in-Mexico-Import-Strat-UPGRADE-trem-Solid-STEEL-block_p_489.html

If not and you use the trem you also need the USA threaded arm they sell.

They also sell a decent switch and jack and Alpha full size pots.

So you could get it all from them

5. Mellencaster

Thanks, funny thing a was looking at the trem block from guitar fetish before I saw your post . I have the new electronics pots ,switch, and jack . I'm thinking going to a .047 uf cap and I also have bone nut blank to install ,who ever cut the old nut made a nice radius at the low e and a string,then it slightly dips down at the d and g , then back up at the b and e . I've raised my action to compensate for the slight buzzing for now . The pickups I'm undecided if like them or not , I'm hoping the electronics will tame the ice pick trebles but over all I'm pleased with the look and feel of the CV

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have a 50's (Oly White/Gold anodized) with a huge brass block and Raw Vintage springs, rings like a bell. The stock pickups are quite nice I gotta say. I think I got lucky with the mini-pots, they roll off very well. Have had 2 other CV's where this was not the case. Congrats on a great bang-for-the-buck axe!!

7. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

yeah they are a nice guitar, the pickups IMO work well, sound good. The AV in the 60s are ok but the A3 in the 50;'s are nicer. I swapped out the stock A3 on one CV50 for a used set of CS54 did not do much for the guitar so I put the stock back in. Put the Cs 54 in a CV 60 for my son.
    enjoy

8. Mellencaster

Now that I had this for CV Strat for couple weeks I am really to starting bond with it . I had to acclimate to a strat sound and it's just set up right for my liking now, I even got the tremolo working without it detuning anymore .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.