NGD Squier Bullet Telecaster

jdk3d

TDPRI Member
I've been subscribed for a while, but this is my 1st post. Thanks to everyone for all the good info.
I just got one of the Squier Limited Edition Bullets that's on sale, in Lake Placid Blue.
I have a few other inexpensive Tele style guitars that may be a bit more elaborate and play better,
but the Squier Bullet is probably the most basic version of an iconic electric guitar associated with the name Fender, (which is probably why I like it so much)! haha.. so I guess that makes me a cheap guitar snob!
But hey, it looks real nice, too, so I didn't just buy it for the name! :cool: So anyways, I was planning to do some upgrades and was pleasantly surprised to see that it will accommodate a humbucker or some other similar sized neck pickup. Just to be clear, my parts budget is commensurate with the cost of this guitar, so I'm looking at someplace like Guitar Madness, GFS or Sanman pickups as far as sources go, but I'm open to suggestions in approximately the same $$ range. I'm thinking about a Filtertron style for the neck and whatever would match it for the bridge pickup, so I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. If you're more inclined to recommend a humbucker or P90 for the neck, that's ok too, but I don't have a guitar with a Filtertron, so that's kinda where I'd like to take this one, unless something else would be vastly better.

Thanks,
Jesse

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Unless you're seeking out a unique pickup that GFS sells, I recommend using Guitar Madness or another EBay vendor to save money on the price and shipping. You'll also save money on a HB pickguard that way too.

I particularly like the GM Songbird, a Firebird style (though not a perfect replica) mini-HB.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Congrats!

If you can swing it, I would recommend spending just a bit more for Bootstrap pickups. Hand wound in the US, ridiculously cheap for the quality, and excellent pickups. Not excellent for the money, just excellent.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
Try Fleor, I got one because my GFS tele neck didn't work, and I was very surprised at how good it sounds. I mean it probably sounds better than the GFS one would have.

jdk3d

TDPRI Member
Guitar Fetish has a decent humbucker shaped P 90. Although a Filtertron might be cool. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I had a G.M. p90 from another project, so I took the pickguard off the Bullet, took the stock pickup out and temporarily soldered in the p90 from G.M. without the pickguard. I have it held in with electric tape for now...it sounds pretty good. I raised up the stock bridge pickup, but it's not quite as loud as the P90. I probably need to lower the p90 more. I'd still like to try something different, but can imagine keeping the p90 in it. IMG_20220331_154819.jpg

Last edited:

jdk3d

TDPRI Member
Congrats!

If you can swing it, I would recommend spending just a bit more for Bootstrap pickups. Hand wound in the US, ridiculously cheap for the quality, and excellent pickups. Not excellent for the money, just excellent.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I saw a video from Paul Stafford where he has a Bootstrap neck humbucker in his Tele. If it's good enough for him, that really says something.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I saw a video from Paul Stafford where he has a Bootstrap neck humbucker in his Tele. If it's good enough for him, that really says something.

This one has a Bootstrap Sweet Serrano A2 in the neck, wired to a switch for parallel or series between the coils. I like it much more than I thought I would.

111212.jpeg

StratDal

Tele-Afflicted
Cheers! Play it Loud and Proud! My Teles are Squires and I love 'em!

My second electric was a Squire Bullet Strat for $99. It was basically something I could take to work and keep in my truck to play at lunch. Wanted to upgrade the pup and got a great deal on a Duncan. Fun thing to play! Basically, it's my son's guitar now but it's still fun to plug in. IMO, single pup guitars rule!

jdk3d

TDPRI Member
Cool! I've had Squier Tele's before, but not for a while. I got drawn into the budget guitar world several years ago. I put a set of Vortex Vintage Hot Tele Single coil pickups in an $80 yellow Indio Retro Classic a few years ago with a 4-way switch for the choice between parallel/series. It sounds great from my perspective. Although there are better guitars and pickup options, the Retro Classic is pretty substantial for a basic guitar. The Bullet has it's own qualities that I'd like to enhance. I like that it's light in weight.

--kptkarl--

TDPRI Member
HS Filtertron for the money, $80. TVJones classic is also great but no diff. Big difference in price. TArmond and Duotron are my favorites of TVJ.

jdk3d

TDPRI Member
That's a good point. Last week I messaged Guitar Madness about another pickup set and Joe said that he's been having the same supply problems.

jdk3d

TDPRI Member
The p90 sounded alright, but the bridge pickup didn't match in output and I guess I didn't want to start plugging screw holes and drilling new ones for a pickguard to accommodate the P90 pickup at this point.
As it turned out, I already had a set of Fleor single coils (that had been recommended), so I installed them and a 4 way switch.
They are certainly an improvement from the stock pickups. Maybe when I change strings the next time, I'll upgrade to a Filtertron style neck pickup.
The jack plate assembly definitely need to be replaced. The stock jack plate is anchored in the wood by a shoddy metal clip that's supposed to grip into the wood as the nut is tightened, but even when the nut is as tightened as much as it should be, it doesn't prevent the whole jack assembly from wobbling. And the cord keeps dropping out, so the jack itself, isn't the best.
Thanks for the feedback, it's been helpful.

Last edited:

sammy1

TDPRI Member
Congrats in the new Axe Brother! I think we are living in the Golden Age of really good cheap guitars.

With respect to your pups I dig the P90s I have used Lollar PUPs and they are excellent , Made in the USA, small company and are accessible if you have questions after the sale.