1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Squier Affinity Tele (Craigslist score)

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by SecretSquirrel, Oct 2, 2020.

1. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Great score!! Nice getting amp as well-
    I have one of those Mustang I amps as well- I don’t use the software- have enough fun with the models on there already, and tweaking them a bit. Gets pretty loud, and the 8” speaker sounds OK to me!

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  2. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I have one that is my beater. Except for the too-slim/narrow neck, which is cramped anbd whippy but OK, and horrible pickups, it's hard to fault and a lot of fun. The fretwork is not just good; it's remarkably fine. Someone dialed in the robots really well. Plays wonderfully. The pickups are terrible, but replaced immediately with some eBay castoffs and it sounds just fine now. I'd never call it beautiful or amazing, but it plays well and sounds decent and that's why I have it.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  3. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Had an Affinity for eighteen years, it was my first Tele, sold it just before lockdown as i started building my own. Others are right, hardware was bad, i replaced my bridge with a Wilkinson with compensated saddles, changed pickups, but the neck was always great, i did a re fret just before i sold it, but all in all a very nice guitar...have fun with it !

Attached Files:

4. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice jack plate!

FortyEight and SecretSquirrel like this.
  5. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks, I'm knocked out by the playability! I got the action real low the way I like it, very happy. It's just what I like to feel on a Tele neck. :)

FortyEight and Telecastoff1 like this.
  6. SecretSquirrel

I haven't experimented much with the amp so far, but found a couple of sounds I like ("'57 Deluxe" and "'59 Bassman"). I, too, was put off modeling amps when I first tried one about ten years ago—a used Vox in a music store—and I couldn't get a single musical sound out of it! Maybe it was broken, but lots of "Bloop-Bleep" artifacts and just nasty tones. Hard to figure, but again, maybe it was broken?

I considered selling this Mustang amp, but those unique "patches" (correct word?) of vintage sounds could be useful for recording, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the different tones might sit in a mix. Seems like a handy small amp to have in any case.

This Affinity Tele is a top-loader, if I got that wrong earlier; my Bullet is string-through. Don't know if that makes much difference sound-wise, but the Affinity's bridge pickup is quite a bit louder than the Bullet's.

7. SecretSquirrel

Last night I did discover a bad rattle in the low 'E' bridge saddle. I fiddled with the height screws for better contact with the plate, and it's okay for the moment, but the sort of rattle likely to creep back. I think the guitar is worth a better bridge, will do some research on that, thanks.

Thanks! I really want a tort pickguard on there anyway, so while the jack plate was a quick fix, it matches my *vision*... :D

Festofish and Ghostdriver like this.
  8. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I don't think you said it was string through. I was looking at it and I thought I didn't see the strings ends on the rear of the bridge. My bad.... LOL.

My G string has a super weird and loud harmonic cuz of the short strike angle. So I always have to put a piece of tape on that string above the nut. (Actually I just wrap it over the first three strings) I felt like that was not a big enough deal to matter. I've seen other people with older good guitars with the same situation so....

At first I thought it was my bridge. But it sounds like yours might be a different situation. Sometimes I guess you gotta make sure that both screws are down touching. That would be my guess as to what it was or is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.