1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Squier Affinity Tele (Craigslist score)

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by SecretSquirrel, Oct 2, 2020.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Spotted a clean, near-new Affinity Tele for a great price on CL; twelve hours later it was mine. :)

Had a few negligible issues like loose knobs that brought the price down. Came with a Mustang I amp, too—my first experience with a modeling type amp (if that's the correct term).

Was not disappointed when I first wrapped my hand around the Tele neck -- despite the old strings, it had a great feel. Cleaned it up, checked the frets—all level!—and polished them. Did a setup. I fashioned a jack plate from a scrap of tort, as the factory plastic plate had cracked apart. Considering a tort pickguard anyway. Also changed the knobs to some old Bakelite ones with indicators.

My main point of comparison is my (awesome) Bullet Tele; am discovering the differences. The Affinity is a almost a pound lighter in weight. Both play great. Getting a feel for the Affinity pickups—not mind-blowing, likely to be replaced. Neck pickup sounds okay but seems much weaker than the Bullet's.

Serial number starts with "CY1701..." — so I think a 2020/21 model? The seller said it was a gift, thinks it was bought at GC.

Here's pics:

00 Affinity Tele BSB - 01.jpg

00 Affinity Tele BSB - 02.jpg

00 Affinity Tele BSB - 03.jpg

00 Affinity Tele BSB - 06.jpg

Bonus amp

00 Fender Mustang 1 AMP.jpg

Side by side with Bullet—nut width is a good 2mm less on the Affinity; I notice it but doesn't bother me.

00 Affinity Tele BSB - 05.jpg

2. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Nice score! Looks to be in good shape but intonation is way off. I like the non pumpkin color. Jack plate looks great too!

SecretSquirrel and Toadtele like this.
  3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Wouldn’t that be a 2017 model with that number?

4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I like it!

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

@Toadtele With a "CY" serial number, the digit after the "CY" indicates the year, post 2020. So CY1xxxxxxx would be 2020/2021:

http://www.squierwiki.com/Serial-Number-Tracking

However, it is common for serial numbers starting with other designations for two digits after the designation to indicate the year.

SecretSquirrel and Toadtele like this.
  6. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

That is a beauty. I love how translucent the finish is. And that it doesn’t look like a pumpkin.

7. SecretSquirrel

Thanks! I do need to remember to check the intonation; it didn't sound way off while I was noodling, but true the saddles don't look right.

2017 would make sense, too, though so does mkdaws32, below.

The seller said he'd tried teaching himself guitar for a few weeks or months before deciding to let it go awhile, so this year's model jibes with that timeline.

No difference to me, really, I'm just happy to have another rockin' Tele. Was just now jamming to some country backing tracks—my opinion of the bridge pickup is much higher today! I think my setup brought some snap to the tone, plus I raised the pickups quite a bit. Will experiment more with height.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  8. SecretSquirrel

Thanks!—the grain (spruce, says Fender) is nothing spectacular, but I too, like the overall effect of the finish. I sort of lucked out, since BSB would be my choice for a 2nd Tele anyway.

Toadtele and PhredE like this.
  9. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

I have found that with the MII or MIC imports that the hardware is the real weak point.
    Any plans to upgrade electronics, bridge or pickups? (just curious).

Looks great. Hope it plays well.
    Nice find. Enjoy it. :)

10. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice. Congratulations.

11. SecretSquirrel

First I'll play it awhile and see what strikes me. The neck pickup has much lower volume than the bridge pickup, and I'm already thinking of routing the body for an old, wide Harmony single coil pickup.

A first step may be an ivory nut, just because I have the material, though the factory "synthetic bone" nut seems fine.

I definitely see a tort pickguard in this guitar's future. :cool:

PhredE likes this.
  12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Good for you!! purdy, have a whole lotta fun !
    chi chi 1.jpg

13. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

Dig! Bullet looks nice too! Congrats!

14. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I seem to run into Squier strats all the time in the wild but have yet to cross paths with a Squier tele

15. SecretSquirrel

Exactly! The Squier strats are so common I barely give them a glance (I'm set with the one I have), but I always have an eye out for teles. Music stores & pawn shops always have used strat types but teles seem rare by comparison. One reason I jumped on this one.

gregulator450 likes this.
  16. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I bought an identical one off CL about five years ago. The seller was a working player who had set it up himself, used it for some gigs and recordings, then decided he wanted something else.

The only thing I've touched on this guitar in all this time is one saddle screw that was slightly loose and causing a buzz. I've never had a setup done, never needed to.

All I've done is change the strings and play the crap out of it. It quickly became my #2, and it is number one if I'm playing outdoors in extreme temperatures. I just don't want to subject my Lite Ash to adverse conditions as long as I have another Tele to play.

17. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Great guitar. I have one of the Mustang amps like yours and I love it. Just hope you can find a way to get the Fender Fuse on your computer.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Enjoy it!

19. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful guitar! How does it play?

20. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I have a 2014 Squier Affinity and it's my favorite guitar at the moment. I have not changed anything on it.

Looks like a brother to yours. I think it was the same factory. Mine doesn't have a string through body though.

How do you like the amp? I remember playing through a few modeling amps about 10 years ago and I feel like there's too much of a disconnect between the sound and me. So I don't like them. Things may be getting better with them though, IDK.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.