NGD! Squier ’51, some mods.

GreatDaneRock

Tele-Afflicted
Hi all, I’m the proud owner of a 2005 Squier 51 in blond with a black guard.

It was kept in immaculate shape and all stock except a previous owner did an awesome job of drilling the headstock for OEM Fender tuners. I paid $250 on Reverb (I know, but it’s 2022, not 2007 anymore) plus shipping and tax, a total of $320. I’m pleased with the deal given the ongoing prices for these.

I modded it with a Wilkinson WTSB short Tele bridge, GFS chromed metal humbucker ring and Fender locking tuners. I then adjusted the setup, adjusted the pickup height (this pickup is rather hot, I love it), and bam! It’s a keeper and will likely be a workhorse in my lineup.

The HB is interesting, punchy, chimey, and articulate. It cleans up very well even in full HB mode. The coil split is very nice with the coil closest to the neck active, which is the opposite of most HB split. The neck pickup is loud and sings!

The neck, oh the neck… heavenly. I already had experience with this neck as I have a Squier VM Custom II made in the same factory in the same year, and since the ’51 is Vintage Modified series (if I understand correctly) I knew the neck would be awesome, and it is!

Anyway, I’m stoked about the guitar, here are some pics. Any love currently for these Squier ‘51s?

IMG_20220922_163011665_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220922_163017045_HDR.jpg

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
I remember when they came out, a bass player I knew bought one and an epi valve Jr and brought them to a jam session where we hooked it up to my bassman cab.

They were $150 new, and that was the most fantastic bargain conceivable.

A few months back I almost responded to a FB marketplace post for one 2 hours away for $175, but it looked like it had been left out in a barn for a few years.

I don't think VM series existed in 2005. I'll look at some old MF magazines in a bit to clarify, but I think they were just a squire '51 without a series.

That bridge looks nice on it.

Enjoy!

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
Last edited:

GreatDaneRock

Tele-Afflicted
Well that sure is a beauty, enjoy! I’ve had and played some very nice squiers in the 2001-05 time frame, seems like a good era.

Looks like it’s a VM indeed:

Edit: that link says 2013-2016, but the 2005 catalog lists it under VM as well. I believe there were 2 generations of the 51!
That's correct, there was the original 04-06 generation,, followed by a reissue generation 2013-2015(?) that had differences from the first run, mainly neck shape and pickups.

A lot of folks seem to prefer the original run versus the 2nd generation. The only big issue with the first gen is the idiotic top -loader bridge, dam near impossible to restring.

GDR

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Hi all, I’m the proud owner of a 2005 Squier 51 in blond with a black guard.

It was kept in immaculate shape and all stock except a previous owner did an awesome job of drilling the headstock for OEM Fender tuners. I paid $250 on Reverb (I know, but it’s 2022, not 2007 anymore) plus shipping and tax, a total of $320. I’m pleased with the deal given the ongoing prices for these.

I modded it with a Wilkinson WTSB short Tele bridge, GFS chromed metal humbucker ring and Fender locking tuners. I then adjusted the setup, adjusted the pickup height (this pickup is rather hot, I love it), and bam! It’s a keeper and will likely be a workhorse in my lineup.

The HB is interesting, punchy, chimey, and articulate. It cleans up very well even in full HB mode. The coil split is very nice with the coil closest to the neck active, which is the opposite of most HB split. The neck pickup is loud and sings!

The neck, oh the neck… heavenly. I already had experience with this neck as I have a Squier VM Custom II made in the same factory in the same year, and since the ’51 is Vintage Modified series (if I understand correctly) I knew the neck would be awesome, and it is!

Anyway, I’m stoked about the guitar, here are some pics. Any love currently for these Squier ‘51s?

View attachment 1031955
View attachment 1031956
Always did have a hankering for one of these. Nice specimen.