NGD sorta

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Blue Bill, May 23, 2020.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Here's the story. Back in 2016, I got an Epiphone AJ-45, new from Sweetwater. It was pretty nice. I liked everything about it but the satin finish, which I couldn't stand. So I polished it and glossed it up, it looked great.

In January of 2017, six months after I got it, it started buzzing. In Maine, where I live, the humidity gets quite dry in the Winter. I called SW, they recommended a humidifier. I got one of those blue cloth tube thingys, with the polymer inside, and kept it watered regularly, but the neck continued to back-bow, until the strings were touching the top 7 or 8 frets, completely unplayable.

Then Summer came, and like magic, the neck straightened out and it became playable again. Next Winter, it re-bowed, again not playable. To get a warranty repair, they told me I had to drive 3 hours to an authorized service place to get it evaluated, blah, blah. I wrote it off as a lemon, a bad luck deal.

Then, a couple months ago, Alana from SW sent me an e-mail, asking how I was enjoying my gear; I'm a fairly regular customer. Since I was home "isolating", I had time to tell her the story. She told me to send it back, and they would take a look.

Today, this arrived. It's a "demo" so there are a few minor dings, but it plays nice and sounds nice. I'm very impressed with this level of customer service. I never expected to get a replacement after 4 years.

Now, do I polish this one? It was a lot of work. Anyway, a happy customer story!

123_0350.JPG

2. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

very nice indeed.

Blue Bill likes this.
  3. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

8FF115F4-92AE-4E4F-9150-B1B00EEB2AEC.jpeg Here’s mine . It has a neck that needs an adjustment for time to time it I’ve learned to live with it. It’s stored in a cabinet where humidity can be controlled . Use the same type of strings every time so the neck is fairly stable but it needs a little chance to settle in after a string change so I use long life strings.
    I went over it with furniture polish to give it a little gloss and it’s fine by me
    Congratulations

brookdalebill and Blue Bill like this.
  4. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Good to hear stories like that nowadays. Congratulations.

Blue Bill likes this.
  5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

. . . sounds like a customer svc rep that has some seniority/experience/discretion and reads op as a good bet for
    a) repeat customer in future
    and
    b) can't keep a "secret"

I'm betting they were right.
    Happy Warranty Day

Peace - Deeve

Blue Bill and Gardo like this.
  6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks guys. I've been playing it for the last hour or so. It has a nice chunky neck. I still kinda can't believe it. Gardo, that's a nice one!

7. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

The neck on mine feels great too. They really are good sounding and good playing . Great story too

Blue Bill likes this.
  8. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I had a very nice sounding Epiphone AJ-18 that cost all of $262 brand new that I kept mostly at our lake cottage. After a few years it developed a poor neck set so I took it to what was at that time the closest Gibson shop, Elderly. They confirmed it needed a reset but the policy on that guitar was too send it back and a few weeks later they sent me a brand new AJ-18. I liked the old one better but the new one has turned into another good sounding guitar after years of playing. I just made a bone saddle for it a few weeks ago.

It did require more neck tweaking than my Gibson guitars at first but it’s settled down quite a bit now.

Blue Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.