NGD: Something Different

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bob Womack, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I'm not into signature guitars for their own sake but sometimes a guitarist's sound intrigues me enough to try out his guitar. This is one of those situations. This is a MusicMan Sterling Steve Lukather Signature LK100D guitar. It is a nearly-identical Indonesian-built brother to the MusicMan Luke Sig Steve plays. The "D" in the name stands for "DiMarzio," as in Luke's Dimarzio "Transition" pickups. This year, Sterling decided to lower the price of the guitar and did so by replacing the Lukather Sig. DiMarzio pickups with a less-expensive design that many consider inferior. They changed the guitar's name to "LUKE."

A local store had a used Sterling LUKE with added Transition pickups but with some issues. I got my hands on it long enough to be impressed and then started a search for an original. I finally found one (1) original LK100D on the web, and this is it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To a casual glance the body looks like just another Strat but the lower cutaway is deeper for better access and the body is smaller. The pickups are brighter than a Gibson pickup but still meaty and full sounding. The headstock is a short 4+2 design that makes the 25.5" scale feel shorter when you are bending. There's a 12db boost in the push-push volume control and locking tuners. I put on fresh strings and did some basic setup work. It is small and comfortable in the lap and looks like it is going to a "fun" guitar for lead. I got a rectangular hard case for it just because.

Bob

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A really good looking guitar. Congrats!

Bob Womack likes this.
  3. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Thank you, gridlock!

Bob

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Really like the color. The Lead guitar player in my brother’s band uses a similar Music Man guitar.

Bob Womack likes this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Very nice !!

Bob Womack likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.