1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - Snakehead Esquire

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Piotr, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've bought this snakehead partscaster from classifieds on a British guitar forum. It's been with me for a couple of days already.

[​IMG]

The Good:
    - it is a tone fiend,
    - the neck is worth its weight in gold - smoothly aged finish and flattish radius,
    - it does not look like your average Esquire,
    - I've bonded with it quickly.

However, it turned out that some of the important details about the guitar took a turn to the worse between the time that it was put it together 4 years ago and the moment I've received it. That's why we have...

The Bad:
    - the nut slots under two strings are so wide that the strings move in the slot while bending (with a loud "ping"),
    - frets 2 and 3 are high, causing severe buzzing, especially on the A string,
    - strong buzzing on the empty E string,
    - the intonation is poor and setting it is virtually impossible at the moment, as bridge screw heads are stripped,
    - loose output jack with some crackling,
    - intermittent pots, especially tone pot, which requires a whack from time to time to eliminate hum.

Bridge screws:
    [​IMG]

Nut:
    [​IMG]

No hard feelings towards the seller, I am just going to own it and transform into an instrument, which will stay with me for a long time. So...

The Future:
    - make a new nut,
    - dress the frets,
    - swap bridge screws (and potentially saddles),
    - swap the bridge SD Broadcaster pickup for a Cavalier pickups custom tapped bridge pickup that's been in my drawer forever,
    - change the pots for push-push, one for pickup tapping, the other one for cocked wah,
    - play my a** off.

2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Way to not whine about the previous owner and own the issues!

If it were mine, I'd try find some way to get the other iconic esquire sound the, Tone control bypassed sound, or even the straight to the jack T/V bypassed sound. I'd trade out the cocked wah for that any day (particularly if you already have and use a wah pedal). Since you have the 51' pbass control plate on there you might even be able to find a plate or contrive some way to get a proper tele switch on there.

Piotr likes this.
  3. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Cheap fixes...that will make a great guitar.....greater. :cool:

Great score.

Piotr and Piggy Stu like this.
  4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

That's gonna be a nifty axe when you get done with it.

Speaking of nifty, the oak on those doors is really nice.

Piotr likes this.
  5. Piotr

That's seller door - not to be confused with cellar door :p

unixfish likes this.
  6. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

Love it; have thought of building something very similar, maybe with a Gretch-y neck pickup. Congrats!

Piotr likes this.
  7. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

check you have anough depth to put in a push/push pot i looked at doing it but i would of only had about a 1mm of wood on the bottom to play with. the body was 1 1/2 inch thick have fun and enjoy

Piotr likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Looks great!

Piotr likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice looking guitar. Those existing saddles are cheapo stuff, just ditch them entirely for some Fender slight slant compensated barrel saddles - I just don't know if Darren Riley will export a small order to you and I'm not sure they're available otherwise in the UK.

[​IMG]

Anyway, probably best to do the job when you have the plate off to replace the pickup. Then, regular Vice Grip locking pliers can hold on to the mangled screw heads. If you wanted to try to replace the saddles at a different time, needle nosed Vice Grip pliers could be employed - carefully.

Just wanted to close by saying, that is one of the most messed up nuts on an electric guitar I have seen in decades. You are a stoic man, to have played the Esquire like that. :^)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Piotr and Piggy Stu like this.
  10. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

Piotr likes this.
  11. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Just replace the bride and nut (or get a tech to do it) and you'll be 90% there. This guitar has a lot of character.

Piotr likes this.
  12. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

I meant BRIDGE and nut.

13. Piotr

Food for thought, thanks. To my ears, that tone bypass does not change a lot and I have two taps on that bridge pickup. As I use my volume a lot, I don't like bypassing it.
    I like that P-Bass style control plate much more than these strange rectangular things that some snakeheads have. An LP type switch could fit between these pots, but I'd rather keep it simple, I guess.

Duh, I didn't think about it o_O I'll have to check that, thank you!

I am knightly that way, Boris :cool: Many thanks for the advice, I am definitely leaning towards replacing the saddles along with the screws, if they are cheapos. How did you recognize that? I need to learn that trick ;)

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Piotr, it just takes spending way too much time buying things so you can examine them up close (and then not using them) and also studying lots of images. Those I call "Wilky-Sung Il" saddles and they're made extremely inexpensively under license.

Look at how the wound strings are up at one level and the plains are kinda down at another plane - the G, B and Little E all about the same height. That's partially IMO because those are just made in a quick and dirty way.

Piotr likes this.
  15. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

love this!!! wow!

I take all my new-to-me guitars to my luthier and have the frets levelled, dressed and crown (if they aren't) and have a new nut made for my string gauge anyway!

After all that improvements and set up, might be your new no.1

Piotr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.