NGD Smells Like Cake

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by KT89, Apr 8, 2020.

1. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

Wildwood American Vintage Thin Skin FSR in Charcoal Frost Metallic. Previous owner had a Mastery bridge professionally installed; included the work order and everything.

Buying a guitar like this is a very surreal experience for me. Used/import guitars don't come with nice hard cases, certificates of authenticity, straps, cables, booklets, etc. You get an instrument and you buy the rest-if you can afford it. It's an extremely different experience. Opening the case felt like it was saying "Welcome to Fender Guitars Mr. KT89. Feel free to have a seat in our lounge-Would you like something to drink while you wait?"

It has a nitrocellulose finish which feels remarkably different from any poly finished guitar, of which I currently own 4. Similar to the modded PRS Vela I briefly owned, it feels "warm" rather than "cold." Like my other guitars are marble finished and this one is upholstered in silk. It truly does smell like cake. I've played Road Worn guitars, Highway Ones and I've played Custom Shop guitars that are relic'd and they don't feel like the same kind of finish as this guitar. I've avoided nitro finishes because to me they felt too "dry," which I didn't like. I guess this one will eventually feel that way too but for now it just feels like silk.

The fit and finish are simply a cut above the rest. It sounds like a guitar should sound, I don't know how to describe it. If you've only owned Epiphones, Mexican Fenders, Squiers, etc. and you go play nicer guitars in shops you know what I'm talking about. When you replace the pickups and the electronics and the guitar finally sounds "real" rather than just "good enough." It's the difference between playing modeling amps that sound like tube amps and feeling the real thing firsthand. I had to put more money into upgrades for my #1 than I did on the guitar in the first place before it sounded like it felt.

IMG_2183.png

The road to get here was a very long one. I've been in college for 6 years, battling through multiple majors, identity crises, mental health problems, motivation issues and generally questioning if I was on the right path in life. I managed to get a job that I start in one month in an essential industry. When I left high school I had a nice Schecter guitar with nice pickups, an EVH 5150 III and an Orange 112. It was a rig fit for someone much older than I was, but I was a kid who had a job and no bills to pay so I had nice things. As I struggled my way through college I slowly had to sell every piece of my rig I owned to make tuition and rent. At one point I only owned an acoustic.

To play electric again I had to buy an Epiphone from a pawn shop for $80 that was missing a tuner and cracked and dinged and chipped all over. I built a mini tube amp for not much more that was so noisy you could hear that it was on from the kitchen. That was my rig for years. I transferred schools in my senior year due to mental health problems and it took summers worth of work and higher scholarships reducing my financial burden to be able to spend 350 on a Mexican Fender, my first guitar that said Fender on the headstock which to this day is a huge deal to me. In the two years since I've managed to save a bit more money and had a couple guitars come and go, the funds from selling one being put into the next but always the cheaper version of the guitar I really wanted. Epiphones, low end PRSs, etc. I didn't have a "real" amp until 4 months ago and again I had to make it myself.

To me this guitar represents so much more than an instrument sitting in my room. It is a statement. I made it. It was worth it. I know who I am and I got here myself. This guitar has no compromises; it is simply exactly what I wanted. It probably won't become my #1 just because it costs 5x as much, but it represents me growing up and making my own way in the world. I almost cried when I first opened the case.

Thank you anyone who listened to my rambling. We're all gonna make it.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah!
    That’s the spirit!
    Groovy guitar!

Bassman8 and KT89 like this.
  3. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you've earned your reward and it's a beauty. Good for you.

4. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

Great story and great guitar. Well done buddy.

Bassman8, KT89 and Deathray like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I feel you, for the longest time I played only a handful of old inexpensive guitars. I saved up, just to get mid-tier, which was really low-tier guitars with the more desirable features, then I worked at making them what I wanted them to be. It was fun, and it taught me alot.

Then I got my WW Think Skin AV65 OTM Jazzmaster. Smelled like so much cake....and it was the best open-box experience I've had at that point. Just a fine, fine instrument ready to go, I only installed a Mastery bridge and Staytrem arm, but even those were not needed. I congratulate you, you got good taste, and enjoy :)

KT89 likes this.
  6. fishermike

fishermike TDPRI Member

Gotta love the smell of a nitro-finished guitar, especially when you take it out of its case...:)

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Keep it up, kid.
    You're on the right track.
    Have fun.
    Take chances.

8. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Brilliant KT.

Wishing you continued good health to enjoy. :)

9. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice looking axe! Congratulations.

10. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

BdB always has a great way of saying things, so what he said! X5!

Bassman8, KT89 and brookdalebill like this.
  11. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Aw yeah, that's a sweetheart, congrats on a beautiful guitar!

12. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

I'll second that!

13. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

It sounds like you were a stereotypical millennial. ;) Congratulations on moving past it and achieving your goal! That is a beautiful guitar and I have a feeling that you're going to do well in life with that 'make it happen' attitude. Remember, you are the author of your life story. I don't know you but I'm proud of you!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Bassman8, 39martind18 and KT89 like this.
  14. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Great looking guitar. Sounds like you earned it. I hope you play it like there's no tomorrow for years to come! Above all, have fun with it.

15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Very cool!

16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Mmmmm, cake. Right on, KT!

17. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh Lawd, yes! The smell of nitro!
    I congratulate you on realizing what this purchase signifies to you personally, as much as for the purchase itself.
    Good on you KT! Enjoy that Jazzmaster, they are great guitars. Yours just has some extra mojo.
    HNGD!

18. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That’s one sweet guitar!
    I was never one for black but charcoal frost! Mmmmmmmmm.... awesome

Don’t be scared to play it, it will! ding/chip, it will! Age/wear ,a guitar like that deserves to be played. Don’t abuse it but play er good

I have a gibson I was afraid to play and babied it. Through circumstances I couldn’t play it for almost 10 years, now I don’t even think about it and play it often

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  19. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

Would you please try to describe this smell some more?
    Does it smell a little like linseed oil?

Is there any kind of polyurethane that smells like this?

KT89 likes this.
  20. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

Don't get me wrong I love working on my instruments. It's just nice not to feel like I have to

Last of a generation. Everyone I'm graduating with is gen z but I do identify much more with the millennial mindset for better or for worse.

There's nothing I can do to prevent the destruction of this guitar. I have such acidic hands that I go through uncoated strings in about an hour. I've worn through some of the poly on my #1. The thin finish's days are certainly numbered.

Polyurethane is a plastic so no. Nitrocellulose is solvent-based and offgasses for some amount of time after it is sprayed. Poly is stable so no smell. How to describe the smell? Like vanilla frosting in a very thin, wafty way you have to put your nose right on the guitar to get a hint of.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.