NGD! Slick SL57 Strat from Guitarfetish Xaviere

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mingo1, Mar 14, 2017.

1. mingo1

mingo1 TDPRI Member

Saturday was NGD and I'm compelled to share.

I haven't really played a Strat regularly for quite a while and the two I have (90s Mexican standard and a mutt with a 90s Japanese neck) haven't seen the light of day in quite a while. I pulled 'em both out recently to track for a project and decided that I simply didn't like either guitar. Neither is terrible but there are things about them both I don't like: The MX has AWFUL pickups. Harsh and blatty. The Japanese neck, although I understand they're coveted in some circles...I just don't like it. Super thin at nut, kinda like going from a P-Bass to a Jazz. Weird. Also, being a mutt, it's a pretty unbalanced instrument.

So, after looking at local shops for anything under $500...I kinda gave up. The Squire vintage series stuff is a pretty good value but was hoping to avoid another solid or burst poly finish...I have more than a couple.

I remembered seeing these when ordering some parts from guitarfetish.com. Really dug the finishes - particularly the brown one. Not interested in a "relic debate" here...I just don't want to ton of crap on the wood. Anyway, figured I get one, order a Warmth to my spec, throw some old Van Zandts in it and be out for under $500. Ordered the guit and the neck.

The guit got here Saturday. I'm kinda in shock. If you know how to set up your axe, this is a nuts deal. I still don't like the aesthetic of the headstock/logo, but if you can get over that, i dunno. I think it's pretty nuts.

Here's my unboxing and review. It's long and pretty detailed, but there are some shortcuts to the sections in the description.

IMG_4911.JPG IMG_4915.JPG

RevBillyG, bsman, xafinity and 5 others like this.
  2. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

I've owned two slick guitars and they are interesting. I found deep flaws with the bridges and bridge placement, but they were otherwise good sounding guitars. The Strat version will obviously have a different bridge than the SL52 & 59 I owned. I like the look of your guitar, and the pickups have been good on all of the one's I've played. The only departure I have from your experience expressed in your post is not finding a decent Strat under $500. There are literally thousands of used ones on the market. Heck, my USA Strat cost $750 brand new a few years ago. MIJ and MIM models are easily snatched for sub $500 prices. Even ISA version can be found in that price range. Strats have been made for 63 years. There is a Strat out there for every possible price point. The used Slick guitars are worth under $200 on a good day and will never be worth more.

That said, thanks for the review vids!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    mingo1 likes this.
  3. mingo1

mingo1 TDPRI Member

That's very true, Peckhammer...lot's of good used things around. I just didn't want more of the same. And to know that I could return if I didn't dig. I'm not too concerned about resale...I have a bad habit of not getting rid of guitars, hehe...I heard about the weird routing on those wraparound bridges. I read that they had changed it up to not be so recessed, but I didn't follow up after that.

4. mingo1

mingo1 TDPRI Member

Worth saying that the finish is showing much more reddish here than in the real world.

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Funny thing. I was interested in one of the Slicks for the neck.
    Don't like the logo, but tilt back head stocks are a premium from Warmouth.

mingo1 likes this.
  6. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

Yeah, I hate the graphics. I changed the headstock shape and graphics on my SL59 to make it look less cartoon-like.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1489577690.619526.jpg

emisilly likes this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful guitar and playing! Great demo. Hngd to you.

8. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

Simply fantastic review!!! Don't apologize for all the talking prior to playing. You offered excellent input based on your observations. Nice job all around.

9. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

What kind of finish are on those?
    Yours looks great, congrats

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.