NGD: Sherwood partscaster

Drew617

Tele-Holic
Here's a budget partscaster I put together this morning. I built a couple Strats recently and ended up with an extra neck that I really liked but which didn't suit either of those guitars. So, Tele time: This replaces a recent emerald blue Tribute ASAT Classic that I didn't bond with.

This is a 1989 MIK Squier II Strat neck on a GFS body. It's got Wilde Keystone pickups, the Oak Grigsby 4-way, and a Fender 6-saddle bridge. The lousy Squier tuners were replaced with Kluson knockoffs.

This was one of those happy builds - especially cheap parts builds - where all the geometry was just right the first time. Required only widening the neck pocket a bit, and trimming some material away from the cheap pickguard.

Sounds great! Plenty resonant, plenty twangy.

1654884152963.png

1654884200373.png

1654884233145.png

Last edited:

Drew617

Tele-Holic
That looks great! Was the body from GFS’ XGP or Lido series?

Appreciate that, and all the kind comments. That's an XGP body. I've probably used 10 of those, give or take, over the years. Not high end as guitar bodies go, and I got one or two irregularities among those, but I think they're solid and a great deal in average. For whatever reason I've had better luck with opaque finishes.

All that said, hard to see stepping down to the Lido to save $20 or whatever it is.

Ron C

Tele-Holic
Appreciate that, and all the kind comments. That's an XGP body. I've probably used 10 of those, give or take, over the years. Not high end as guitar bodies go, and I got one or two irregularities among those, but I think they're solid and a great deal in average. For whatever reason I've had better luck with opaque finishes.

All that said, hard to see stepping down to the Lido to save $20 or whatever it is.
Excellent, thanks for the info. Yeah, I wouldn't want to choose Lido for the $20 savings - it's that I actually like slightly thinner Strats.

Drew617

Tele-Holic
Excellent, thanks for the info. Yeah, I wouldn't want to choose Lido for the $20 savings - it's that I actually like slightly thinner Strats.

I hadn't considered that - Was thinking that where there are occasional flaws in the XGP line, I'd expect QC on the Lidos to be a step down from that. I might be wrong, and one can get lucky with anything. :)

Having thought about it, I can clarify my experience with the XGPs: The trans bodies I've had worse luck were also ash, and were also boat anchors. The alder bodies are nice and light and resonant. So I get the feeling that their alder is legitimate, and their swamp ash is something else. Or not optimally dried, at least.

Are the Lidos paulownia/"empress"? Might be interesting just for that.

Ron C

Tele-Holic
I hadn't considered that - Was thinking that where there are occasional flaws in the XGP line, I'd expect QC on the Lidos to be a step down from that. I might be wrong, and one can get lucky with anything. :)

Having thought about it, I can clarify my experience with the XGPs: The trans bodies I've had worse luck were also ash, and were also boat anchors. The alder bodies are nice and light and resonant. So I get the feeling that their alder is legitimate, and their swamp ash is something else. Or not optimally dried, at least.

Are the Lidos paulownia/"empress"? Might be interesting just for that.
The opaque Lidos are poplar, natural finish are ash. I figure that I've got a better shot with opaque finishes anyway with bargain bodies (especially where generic photos are used). For low price finished paulownia bodies, there's Allen Eden guitars. I had pretty good results with two of those a few years back, so I may try them again. Or just pay a little more and get a Fender or Squier body from Stratosphere.