NGD: Schecter CR-6

Jsil13

Tele-Afflicted
For the past few months I've gone back to the music of my youth playing,writing, and recording metal tunes. My old metal guitars have long since been sold off, so I was writing most of them with my Jaguar, and recording them with either my coral pink Telebird with an SD Lil' 59er or my non-reverse firebird/jazzmaster with Mcnelly Cornucopia pickups. While those guitars are great for my rock and alt country stuff they weren't really right for thrash or death metal riffs.

So I have been looking for something affordable that would fit what I was looking for. Originally I was thinking Floyd Rose, but I have vibratos on 3 or 4 guitars already and I haven't dealt with a Floyd in years, so I changed my mind to hardtail. Double humbuckers, black hardware, reverse headstock, 24 frets, and I wanted something transparent green like my old main guitar a Jackson Rhoads. I already have enough weird shaped guitars so I wanted to go with a super strat shape. I was going to go with a Jackson Dinky, but then I remembered how good Schecters felt whenever I played them. Once I narrowed it down to the model and color I watched Reverb for awhile and then randomly thought about searching Guitar Center's used stuff and found one for a really good price.

Here it is. A Schecter CR-6 in aquaburst. Mahogany body, poplar burl veneered top, super thin maple neck, wenge fretboard, matching reverse headstock, Schecter USA Apocalypse II pickups that are coil splittable, Black Tusq XL nut (which I use on all my builds) and all in all a very comfortable lightweight guitar. Most of my guitars have Warmoth standard thin C shaped necks and this is definitely thinner than those. This is more like an Ibanez Wizard neck.

IMG_1157.jpeg

IMG_1158.jpeg
IMG_1159.jpeg
IMG_1160.jpeg

Last edited:

Jsil13

Tele-Afflicted
And since I can't leave thing well enough alone I'm already planning on some mods. I've never had locking tuners, but I think I'm going to go with the Hipshot Grip Lock open geared tuners on this one. I'm so used to vintage style slotted tuners. I think my 1959 Melody Maker is the only guitar I have without them.

I already ordered some black heavy knurled knobs and an black aluminum switch tip.

I've been looking at pickups since before the guitar even got here, and if I do decide to change them I'm going to try out the Seymour Duncan Black Winters. They were designed for black metal which I enjoy, but they are also used by the band Skeletonwitch which I love.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
Nice axe, beautiful finish, attractive headstock shape. Schecter has some really high quality stuff at sane prices, even a couple interesting semi-hollows. Guitar Center used is how we get most of our guitars around here. It's really the only part of MF-GC that I care much for. Play it often.

Jsil13

Tele-Afflicted
Nice axe, beautiful finish, attractive headstock shape. Schecter has some really high quality stuff at sane prices, even a couple interesting semi-hollows. Guitar Center used is how we get most of our guitars around here. It's really the only part of MF-GC that I care much for. Play it often.
I don't mind the pointy Jackson headstock, but I like this one too. It's much better than their 3 per side headstocks.

Winky

Tele-Holic
Very nice indeed. Does the reverse headstock help with bends on the lower (pitched) strings? You know for the "pre-bends of doom" sort of thing?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I've often wondered if one of those type of guitars would work for me. I had a Dean years ago that was darn good.
I'm thinking of trying to find a Gibson scale with a long top bout/strap attachement like that so the guitar hangs in a range that would make reaching the nut easier for an old guy like me.
But many of the Jackson, Schecter I have picked up to play have a terribly thin flat neck......... This one's neck? Scale?

Jsil13

Tele-Afflicted
Very nice indeed. Does the reverse headstock help with bends on the lower (pitched) strings? You know for the "pre-bends of doom" sort of thing?

I haven't noticed too much of a difference, but I haven't restrung it with my preferred gauge yet and I'm not sure what they have on there.

I've often wondered if one of those type of guitars would work for me. I had a Dean years ago that was darn good.
I'm thinking of trying to find a Gibson scale with a long top bout/strap attachement like that so the guitar hangs in a range that would make reaching the nut easier for an old guy like me.
But many of the Jackson, Schecter I have picked up to play have a terribly thin flat neck......... This one's neck? Scale?

The neck on this is very thin. Ibanez Wizard style thin. 25.5" scale length with a 14" radius. Jumbo frets. I can bust out the calipers later and see where it's at. Marginally smaller than the Warmoth Standard C shape.
I like it. I won't be playing any Black Metal. How about Black Crowes?

I have other guitars for the rock stuff.

Coral Pink Telebird
EFBD8AF0-2E09-4B19-975E-B579E165D3B3.jpg

Non Reverse Firebird/Jazzmaster
9378129E-EF25-4B97-ADFA-7F9DEE26282C.jpg

Partscaster Jaguar
IMG_0635.jpeg

Non Reverse Firebird Baritone
IMG_0893.jpeg

And my 1959 Gibson Melody Maker with 60's SG Special P90s that I'm currently making a more traditionally shaped pickguard for.
IMG_1011.jpeg

Jsil13

Tele-Afflicted
Well I ordered my locking tuners. I like the look of the open gears. Plus the open geared tuners have a higher ratio of 18:1 as opposed to the closed back which are 15:1. Not crazy about the Hipshot buttons, but they are easily replaceable. I didn't need these, but I'm going to keep whatever parts I take off of this for my next build.
4210-2-3000.jpg

Jsil13

Tele-Afflicted
Well those didn't take long to get here. These look very nice. They came with their universal mounting plate, but I don't think I'm going to need it. Unfortunately I won't be able to install them until Saturday unless I get up early and do it before work tomorrow.

574E5641-D7CD-48ED-8862-C8C9A79AA9CD.jpg

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
After having a Schecter Hellraiser Extreme for a couple years I really appreciate their product. Had it been a hardtail I would've kept it. I replaced it with a PT variant. The USA pickups in some of their Import models is really a killer combo.

Jsil13

Tele-Afflicted
After having a Schecter Hellraiser Extreme for a couple years I really appreciate their product. Had it been a hardtail I would've kept it. I replaced it with a PT variant. The USA pickups in some of their Import models is really a killer combo.

I used to have several Floyd Rose guitars back when I was doing the Dimebag thing bending harmonics up super high. Even my other guitars with trems I don't use it that much. I kind of just wanted this one to be a basic kind of bare bones guitar.

Jsil13

Tele-Afflicted
Got the tuners installed. Wasn't sure if I needed to use the universal mount plate, but I did. The whole thing took about ten minutes. Kind of bummed you can see the old holes still, but I didn't have to drill any new ones so that's a plus. I also conditioned the wenge fretboard while I had the strings off. It looks so much better not being dried out. The first string up with the locking tuners went well. It definitely is pretty easy, but I can string up something with vintage tuners just about as fast.

IMG_1181.jpeg

IMG_1182.jpeg
IMG_1183.jpeg