NGD Samick Silvertone Jupitor ressue. Guitar Center content. Dream guitar. Free.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Donny Osmond fan, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

Ok so today I went to Guitar Center. I'm 44 years old. I went with my dad. He knows nothing about guitars. Nothing. He was geeting me a cheap used guitar for Christmas. Under a certian price point. And is going in his closet untill Christmas. 77 days. ;)

So I found a used Samick made Silvertone reissue Jupitor. One of my dream guitars that I thought I would never own. Looked brand new. Still had the plastic on the humbuckers. $479 new under 399 used. With new strings, waranty and all over 400 dollars. Humbuckers are not the Semore Duncan Gretsch style. These look just like the old D'Armonds.These pickups were from a rare run that C. DeArmond did for silvertone guitars years back. It is rumored that these limited run reissues were made in less than 20 sets and only one or two sets made it into the silvertone prototypes. The last batch they done. I think the people that own Silvertone name is no longer in business? Samick made it. And I love anything from Samick. ;)

Samick has been around for years. This guy that worked at Guitar Center giged around and played guitar a pro. He loved it. And has a orginial Harmony. I do not know which one? They had to hold the guitar. My father paid part and after the date it can be sold will pay the other part.

I love Guitar Center most don't though. Guess what they did? They are not supposed to do this. But they are cleaning the guitar and putting Polly Webs strings on my guitar. They can't do that untill it is paid for but the guy that gigs around is doing that anyway. He asked the manager she said something then he said I'm going to anyway. ;)

I born with a birth defect in my left hand. It is hard to restring a guitar for me. So he is doing that. He restings his guitars every 3 weeks. I do not why? Money, dissabled, and I do not drive any longer. So I would have to ask family to take me every 3 weeks. And they will not do that.

So Guitar Center went above and beyond the extra mile for me as always. I love that store. I told them that a lot of guitar players dislike the stores but I love them and they have never done me nothing but good. o_O;)

So I'm really happy. I got one of my dream guitars. I could cry. Yes real men cry you know you do? Death etc.. Happiness etc... And it is free to me. Now to wait untill we can pick it up. And then at Christmas it will be mine. He will give it to me. ;)

Review.

Silvertone spent decades maligned as the ugly duckling on the electric guitar and amplifier pond. Because Silvertones were relatively affordable instruments sold by Sears, Roebuck & Company from the 1930s through the early ’70s, they were viewed as stepping-stones to the Fender, Gretsch, Gibson, or Rickenbacker you’d get when you got serious. But since the ’90s, many vintage Silvertone guitars and amps (typically those built by Harmony and Danelectro) have gained the respect and collector attention they always deserved.;)

With all this renewed interest, Samick revived the Silvertone name. And in a few years, they’ve started to revisit some of the Silvertone brand’s most loved designs. One of the most interesting original offerings, the 1423 (also branded as the Harmony Jupiter H49), was made from 1959 through 1962 and it’s the inspiration for the guitar.

Tuxedo Junction
    The designers behind the original twin-pickup 1423 likely used Gibson’s Les Paul Jr. as a point of departure. And at a glance, the new 1423 looks like a straightforward reissue. It’s got the same single-cutaway body as the original with a sharp-looking black sparkle finish and white binding with a fine black pinstripe. A white, foxtail-shaped pickguard is home to five black knobs and a chicken-head selector switch. The rosewood fretboard is dressed with classy block inlays and the classic, slight, and snaky Silvertone script logo adorns the headstock.

However, there are a number of differences—both cosmetic and structural—between the 1423 and its predecessor. Most significantly, this version is a mahogany solidbody with a four-screw, bolt-on neck, where the original was a semi-hollow with a three-screw neck. The original included a rosewood archtop-style bridge, but the new version has a Tune-o-matic-style bridge (with a retainer wire) that provides better adjustability and intonation.

Less significant details include a white plastic nut in place of an aluminum nut. Closed-back tuners with chrome knobs replace the old open-geared machines with white plastic buttons. And this version has a pair of chrome strap buttons instead of a single white endpin, so you wont have to tie your strap off at the headstock. Also, the trapeze tailpiece on the reissue uses a slightly different design—a raised diamond for embellishment instead of three horizontal lines.

Overall, our 1423 is a solidly built guitar. The neck fits snug in its pocket and the finish is free of defects.

Being semi-hollow, examples of the original 1423 fall in the vicinity of five pounds, but our reissue is more substantial at seven pounds, 14 ounces. It’s still very comfortable to hold and feels compact and well balanced. The neck has a very comfortable C shape profile is a nice compromise, neither too thin nor too cumbersome. Gibson players in particular will feel very much at home with it, particularly given the 1 11/16" wide nut and 24.75" scale length. Despite the less-than-ideal setup, the guitar plays very well—a definite improvement over a typical, well-used vintage Silvertone.

The controls on the 1423 include volume and tone for each pickup, a 3-way selector switch, and, for the middle position only, an almost Rickenbacker-like blend knob that rolls off the highs and boosts the mids. The knobs fall in a straight line—blend, volume, tone, volume, tone.

Silvertone’s 1423 might have an old-school look, but it lacks a little of that vintage feel that makes old guitars seem special. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, considering that the originals weren’t always the most stable instruments. If the Silvertone lacks vintage authenticity, it’s capable of producing a very broad range of really nice sounds, and you could make it your main—or only—stage guitar just as readily as, say, a favorite Telecaster or Les Paul Jr. For just around five hundred bucks, that’s a pretty decent return on your investment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. Donny Osmond fan

These pickups were from a rare run that C. DeArmond did for silvertone guitars years back. It is rumored that these limited run reissues were made in less than 20 sets and only one or two sets made it into the silvertone prototypes.

[​IMG]

Zepfan and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Cool guitar....cool story.
    I've always liked the looks of those, but never owned one.
    ENJOY!

4. Donny Osmond fan

I will at Christmas. And Yes I can waite. Just to know she is mine is enough to satisfy me. ;):twisted:

Zepfan, bloomz and nojazzhere like this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

There are so many great guitars out of silvertone, Teisco, etc that were regarded as pawn shop fodder for years. It's crazy how overlooked they were.

Enjoy, when you get it.

6. Donny Osmond fan

Thanks I will.

7. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a great story, and one hell of a cool-looking guitar.

The good thing about the wait is that, by, Christmas, you'll be so used to the idea of "having" it but not having it that, when you finally have it, it'll be like getting it all over again ;)

cat dude likes this.
  8. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like father & son stories.
    I like shopping for guitars.
    I like guitars.

And I like happy tears, too.
    Good on ya @Donny Osmond fan

Peace - Deeve

cat dude likes this.
  9. Donny Osmond fan

Thanks.

10. Donny Osmond fan

Thanks.

11. Donny Osmond fan

bloomz likes this.
  12. Donny Osmond fan

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

That's a cool guitar and I'm betting that someone's going to a wonderful Christmas.

14. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

My 62 that was stolen from me in 2000 on a European tour. I find another one one day I like.

Attached Files:

15. Donny Osmond fan

Thank you and I will. And it was free. Why was they not wanted when the reissues was so nice? And Why did the people that owned the Silvertone name go under? They had Samick make the guitars? They were so nice. Thin sparkle mahogany body. Nice.

16. Zepfan

The original Silvertone/Harmony/Teisco/Supro guitars from the 60's and early 70's were so bad in quality materials and the setups made most of them unplayable unless you lived on the first 4 frets that these brands developed a stigma about them. Most people remembered the bad and just didn't want to relive the bad that they associated with these brands. Only a few that would tinker with their guitars could make them sing like the top brands and a few more turned them into slide guitars. Those are the ones that wanted a reissue.

I would love a couple of these guitars, but I'd have to get rid of a few to buy more. I might be able to sneak a few in later. I do have a Stratotone build coming up in the future. Later I'll have to sneak in a Jupiter and a Rocket.:D

tintag27 likes this.
  17. IrishTeleDan

IrishTeleDan TDPRI Member

Is there anything lower than a guitar thief...

18. Donny Osmond fan

But the Silvertone had 6 grat pro models. And Gibson gave them pickups for one of them and it is great. 335 style with Bigsby and a few others. And people love the Teisco Spectrum 5. A few expensive guitar players love it as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.
  19. Zepfan

Spectrum 5 was really cool, EVH played one on one their hit song videos.

20. Zepfan

I love the DeArmond Gold Foil and Silver Foil pickups. I think they were the best of these type pickups tonewise.
    DeArmond made fantastic pickups. I have a DeArmond M72 Bluesbird with the Goldtop humbuckers and it has awesome tone to it.
    Those older NY style and Dynasonic's were great pickups too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.