NGD (Ruined)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by burntfrijoles, Aug 25, 2019.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

A beautiful 2019 Gibson 61 SG Standard with the best neck I've ever played on a Gibson. I had been searching for a Gibson with a slimmer neck profile but was continuously disappointed until I played this guitar. As soon as I picked it up, I knew. Just played it unplugged in the store.
    Got it home, tuned it up and plugged in. Neck humbucker sounded fantastic but then ....
    the bridge humbucker had incredibly low output. Neck=loud and proud.. bridge=weak and atonal. Naturally I adjusted the volume and tone knobs...
    It's going back tomorrow. I'd take it back today but I have babysitting duties with my granddaughters. Already packed up in it's plush case. (Sorry. No pics)
    The guitar itself seemed to be well made with a beautiful finish etc, but apparently Gibson still has QC issues.

To top off the day. I ordered a pizza and, when I went to pick it up, they took my money and said it will be right out. They came back in a few minutes and said, we can't find your pie. Asked if I minded waiting but did not offer to comp the pizza. I declined and got my refund.

24 track likes this.
  2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Sorry man, hope your day gets better after this.

If you liked the neck, why not partial refund to change out the weak bridge? Under warranty?

Greggorios likes this.
  3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Take heart.
    Gibson will fix it.
    If you'd eaten that pizza it'd already be gone.

Greggorios and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Chief101

Chief101 TDPRI Member

If it’s the “right” guitar and the problem is only electronic, then the fix should be simple. Maybe a simple as a cold solder joint, bad pot or even a bad pickup. All easily replaced. Hang tough, it can still be all you dreamed of.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear that. Maybe a Friday afternoon/ Monday morning job. See if you can get it fixed under warranty maybe.

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Disappointing! So sorry it screwed up your NGD. As usual the crew here has provided some good input. I'm with the optimistic suggestion that despite the aggravation it sounds imminently fixable. Best of luck and keep us updated!

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it’s the perfect guitar why not get a warranty fix?

8. burntfrijoles

Thanks guys. It's really a minor disappointment. I can live without the SG. I have other guitars which are more than enough. I am a fortunate person and this is a first world problem.
    The pizza story is just like the pot falling on your head after you've already been defeated in a cartoon so it's the cartoonish ending to the day.

As for having warranty work to correct it, I'll pass. I'm not very forgiving in such matters. There was a P90 SG with a similar neck profile which I considered but the finish killed any "want" in me. In a way this is a good thing. I will not lust after another Gibson (335 or SG). I scratched the itch and didn't find the experience satisfying. I will be comfy with my Teles and Strats.

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Easy warranty fix, if the neck is so great. It's probably just that a solder joint somewhere needs to be re-flowed.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I hate days that go like that. Truly a bummer with the SG, but don't give up just because of a quality control issue. Plenty more SGs out there. The pizza thing ... well, I would have done the same. No excuses for their incompetence. It is just a pizza.

24 track likes this.
  11. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’m with you, it’s an easy fix, but you paid top dollar so you shouldn’t have to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Mine has a bridge pickup that is weak compared to the neck.

I noticed that the pickup conductor was jammed under the adjustment screw. So the conductor may be damaged, but..

Either way I was able to adjust the height of the pickups and balance them out. I love that guitar

If it feels that good to play, just work with it. I may sound silly but that's what I would do.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  13. burntfrijoles

Thanks. It's a major inconvenience plus, they would probably send to a local warranty service which could be some schmoe. One of the guys who does warranty work in the area is pretty sloppy. His workbench looks like a major industrial accident.
    It's a great guitar but it's not a holy grail or my white whale.

jimilee likes this.
  14. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

That was my first thought. If the pickups are working and not buzzing, they probably just need to be adjusted.
    The bridge is probably too low and the neck is probably too high.
    Before I assumed something was wrong I would also change the strings if the factory ones are still on it. Who knows how old they are.
    Strings vibrate less near the bridge due to physics. Bridge pickups are usually wound hotter to compensate for it.
    None of my guitars were adjusted correctly when I bought them. You just have to do it by ear, NOT BY SIGHT. It's easy. All you need is a screwdriver, an amp and good ears.

15. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

They could have forgotten to charge the magnets in one of the pickup bobbins. You wouldn’t think it would happen, but I got a set of Fender pups and the neck wasn’t properly magnetised. It’s a small leap to a pup ending up in a guitar on a Friday job. After all, weak magnets will still read proper resistance so unless you pay attention testing it plugged in, it could go out to stores.

16. burntfrijoles

Just out of curiosity I checked the pickup heights. They are spot on Gibson's recommendation:
    3/32 and 1/16 for neck and bridge respectively.

17. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

If buying in person, i would have plugged the guitar in for a test drive ... I have purchased many guitars online, which is a crapshoot in itself, I admit ...

18. jimilee

It’s most likely j(barring anything majorly wrong with the pickup) it just a ground problem with the rear pickup.

19. burntfrijoles

The funny thing is that the salesman asked if I wanted to plug in and I smugly said, "nah, I know what Gibsons sound like. I'll give it go when I get home."

20. jimilee

*facepalm*

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.