NGD: Road Worn Vintera in LPB

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by soapbox440, Aug 5, 2021.

1. soapbox440

soapbox440 TDPRI Member

Apologises for the rambling.

Since I picked up guitar in my teens, I'd always lusted after a Tele. I have a memory of walking into a guitar shop in Edinburgh as a kid and playing the slinkiest, smoothest butterscotch Tele ever.

So in July last year, at the height of the UK's first lockdown and after a lifetime of playing les pauls and strats, I bought a Vintera 60s Modified tele in LPB - my long time favourite fender colour. It was a birthday present to myself and I genuinely loved it. The problem was that it didn't have a maple neck. All my previous guitars had been rosewood or similar, so I naturally went with what I knew. That was a mistake as the Tele just never fulfilled the image and experience of that tele I played as a kid.

Then Fender released the roadworn vintera in LPB with maple neck and my heart sank - there was my dream guitar (relic aside) and I had just bought another! Well in a moment of sheer madness last week I walked into my local guitar shop to avoid the rain and bought it.

When I got home with it I did something I had never done before - I took it straight back out to a local luthier and asked him for a full set up with lighter gauge strings and a nice slinky tight action. I find that the big name shops never set them up that well, and I wanted this guitar to have the best chance of being it's best self.

Now I have had it back a while I can just say it's perfect. I cant put it down. A few observations (many of which repeat what has already been discussed on this forum):

• Not typically a fan of relic guitars. This looks good, and is about as beaten up as I would like. Most importantly, not having to worry about a spotless poly finish is truly liberating! Now I just worry about the nitro reacting with plastic stands etc. instead.
    • I spent time worrying about fret types (vintage tall) and neck radii (7.25"). Now I am playing it, I really don't think these things matter as much as some make out. It feels good, it plays good. Not significantly easier or harder than the vintera mod (medium jumbo / 9.5" radius) or my les paul ( chunky flat frets / extremely flat radius).
    • The real difference is that the neck has some heft to it, described as a "U". I have never owned such a chunky neck - it's great to have the variety in the collection now and I am really enjoying how it feels in the hand. I read these are better for large hands but I think that's more online folklore. I have smaller hands and can play this just as well as any other neck, getting thumb over too. I agree some of the true baseball bat necks out there are a little trickier but this neck isn't one to worry about. It feels reassuring in the hand, sturdy, like it can take a beating.
    • It sounds better than any expectation I had! I had assumed I would change the pickups in short order, but these can stay for now. Just a little hotter than vintage, but well rounded and none of that ice-pick. A modest gripe is that the bridge pickup looks newer than almost everything else on the guitar. I have lusted after SD antiquity so maybe that will find a home in there instead, some day.
    So I guess I will have to sell/trade the Vintera 60s Mod because two teles in the same colour is a little much even for me.

Thanks for reading.

G-52, mimmo, JL_LI and 5 others like this.
  2. soapbox440

soapbox440 TDPRI Member

Pictures!

Attached Files:

Timbresmith1, Doyle, Hey_you and 14 others like this.
  3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Cool, enjoy your new Tele.

soapbox440 likes this.
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

HNGD and for once I guess you didn't mind the rain coming. :) I wasn't a road worn fan myself, but my avatar Tele was built with a lightly aged body as that's all I could find at the time...quite liberating as you say. I've kept my other White Blonde Tele perfect, so like you I think I'll sell rather than have two very similar guitars.

soapbox440 likes this.
  5. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Afflicted

Nice!

Pays to have a proper set up done.

soapbox440 likes this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Very nice looking!

7. MrDavey2Shoes

MrDavey2Shoes TDPRI Member

Nice Tele, seems like we should start a Roadworn 50s thread soon!

8. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

9. soapbox440

soapbox440 TDPRI Member

I also tried to find them to double check a few features but they don't seem to be on the fender site anymore. I guess they have stopped making this batch and will come back with some more colours etc. soon enough!

10. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

Wish they'd do a 60s Road Worn with a rosewood board.

11. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a nice telecaster indeed! Enjoy!

12. soapbox440

soapbox440 TDPRI Member

The Chrissie hind model is really fantastic. Ice blue metallic with a rosewood (not PF) board. I played it alongside this and could have taken it home too, had I not a hankering for maple. It's pickguard I could take or leave, but the rest is just a delight!

13. michaelsegui

michaelsegui TDPRI Member

I love the LPB road worn. Perfect colour IMHO

14. TelePlank

TelePlank Tele-Meister

This is why I’ve wanted to sell my Classic Series 60s Telecaster. Not much of a rosewood fretboard guy. Was gonna do it awhile ago told myself to wait and see how I felt later on. Still feel the same. Love those maple fretboards too much. Nice guitar man!

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. corrado15

corrado15 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Nice choice! I have one on the way from Sweetwater.

Quick question - how were the frets out of the box? I bought a Road Worn Strat a while back and the frets were rough as a rough thing. I've cleaned them up as best I can but they're still not the best. I'm having Sweetwater do a Plek on the Tele - hopefully won't see the same thing again...

Hoping to get over to Scotland soon (I'm assuming that's where you still are). My parents live in Peebles - haven't seen them in well over 2 years...

Davy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.