NGD - Reverend Tricky Gomez RT

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SixStringSlinger, May 27, 2020.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first Reverend. My first guitar with any kind of hollow to it besides routing. My first 24.75" scale.

unnamed-1.jpg

I'd been jonesing for a semi-hollow, something 335-like for a while. I was eyeballing the Epiphone Pro's, but never went for it. Then I stumbled on the 335-esque Reverends and got interested. I like the slightly different looks, the Fender-like headstock, the Bigsby, the bass-cut control. Then I saw this one on Reverb and knew it was the one. I watched it for nearly a year before I decided I'd tempted fate long enough.

unnamed-2.jpg

I'm digging it so far. The pictures don't do the color justice; it's a shiny, though not glossy, gold all over except for the headstock. I still have to dial in the pickups and explore what it can do plugged in, but I have it cleaned up and newly string. I was concerned about how the 24.75" scale would feel (I'd only played 25.5" electrics before), and it does feel different, but I don't know how much of that to put down to the scale and how much to put down to it just being a different guitar. I'm no neck-expert, but I'll say it's a little on the fat side for my experience but still comfortable. The 12" radius (another slight outlier among my collection) is different but feels good.

unnamed.jpg

I did switch the position of the bass- and treble-cut controls, just because I prefer to have the bass cut "on top" (I dunno either, man). I'm also going to replace the Bigsby spring with a taller one; the stock spring barely clears the knobs and that's without even pushing down on it (I don't mind the Reverend squishy spring, but I don't need it). I may measure the Bigsby to see if Callaham's bits will fit it for easier re-stringing, but otherwise I think she's good.

2. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Reverend are great guitars! Enjoy the beauty!

3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Beautiful guitar! Congratulations.

4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I love my Double Agent. That bass contour is a great feature. Adds by subtracting when you need it to. Congrats!

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the 'congregation'!! Reverends deserve more recognition than they get.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I love what Reverend is doing, and also what Yamaha is doing with the Revstar.

zippofan and SixStringSlinger like this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

:cool::cool::cool:

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Love it! My sig guitar is a reverend. They are cool, well made, and nicely priced.

PS you can fit a penny under the spring to raise the arm up without buying a new spring.

SixStringSlinger and gitold like this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Sweet guitar!

I’m just as impressed with the book selection!

10. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Congrats!
    Reverends are great guitars!

11. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Yes, Reverends are very good guitars.... and they are building different, cool, guitars too.

12. SixStringSlinger

Thanks! I put a similar control in my Strat (and left the other tone control as a master treble cut), and yes, it's extremely useful.

Thanks for the tip!

My obsessions are many and varied :lol:

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  13. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

They used to build guitars out of this laminate wood???... I think it was the same process they use for counter tops???... very hard laminate.

Anyway, I played one of those guitars a few years ago and it was awesome. Just didnt buy it. Went back to the music store the next day to buy it and it was gone......

14. SixStringSlinger

Uno más:

1.jpg

gimmeatele and zippofan like this.
  15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Congrats,!
    Revs are great

Almost got my first 24.75" guitar too with the stimulus Czech money,
    It was going to be a Rev and then I saw the Gibson Tribute series and got that instead.

By the way it's fantastic--
    the quality control is too.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

17. SixStringSlinger

Some more info.:

I popped open the control cavity last night to switch around the location of the bass- and treble-cut controls. I was pleasantly surprised that the guitar has a rear-accesible control cavity (like a Les Paul, say); I thought it might be a fish-em-through-the-pickup-holes kind of deal.

The cavity cover has foil on the inside, and the cavity itself is painted with shielding paint. Plastic wiring, nothing special but not a rat's nest. The 3-way switch seems the "cheaper" kind and feels a little stiff, but it works fine. Alpha pots, and the same cheap ceramic caps you can buy in bulk on Amazon. The controls work great. There's just a little noise when bringing the volume up from zero. I'll see if working it some will clear it up, and if not I'll try some contact cleaner.

The pickup are neat. This is my first real experience with Filter'Tron-like pickups (I had a Schecter Ultra III with some SD 'Tron-types, but I never bonded with that one and so never got into what the pickups could do). They sound louder and fatter than the single coils on my Fenders, but not a potentially muffled as the Ibanez Super '58's in my Jet King. Playing this guitar blind I could be fooled into thinking that they're hot single coils. But they're also clear-sounding, not muddy at all. I still need to crank them up and see what they can really do. I may also play with the heights a bit, but they're pretty good where they are. The pole pieces on both coils of each pickup can be adjusted, so I just set them to match the fretboard/bridge radius. The string-to-string balance seems OK there.

I may also lower the action a touch, but also tweak the truss rod for a touch more relief (the lower string rattle against the lower frets sometimes).

18. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I could definitely spend time in your library with that R. Looks great. There may be one of those in my future.

19. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Nice! I have a Kyle Schutt signature Reverend. It is a semi hollow but without a soundhole. It is a great guitar. I actually won it in a contest. I would not have sought one out, but I love it. It came setup perfectly from the factory. It has the best action of all my guitars and I haven’t touched a thing.

20. SixStringSlinger

I loosened up the strings and stuck a penny under the Bigsby spring. A 1949 piece I've had for a while (for the tone ;) ) I believe it may have lifted the bar just enough. Thanks again @tfarny !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.