1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: Reverend Roundhouse v.1

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Apr 21, 2021.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I always wanted the first iteration of Reverend's Roundhouse (the new one doesn't do anything for me), and I waited too long after they came out and Reverend discontinued them. I always considered it a 'buy on sight' guitar if one ever happened to turn up.

I was looking at CL a week or so ago and lo and behold, there was a Roundhouse! Going by the serial number it's a 2007 model. I drove into Nassau County to the guy's house and as soon as I tried it I threw my money down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neck profile is pretty slim - a little slimmer than a Gibson 60s profile, so it's super comfy. I played it through the guys Vox modeling combo, and the pickups sounded pretty beefy and articulate. The bass roll-off control is pretty wild - I've never tried one before, and it really changes up the tone with the bass rolled off.

The guitar is super clean - this guy really took care of his gear! After we did the deal we just hung out talking about guitars. He showed me a '68 LP Deluxe that he bought new, and an early ESP double-bound black T-body that he might be selling. I gave him my card and told him if he was going to let go of the ESP to call me right away.

I'm beyond thrilled to get this guitar. I finally got the one that got away.

- D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  2. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice! I'm lusting after two different Reverends at the moment (Contender RB in gold with bigsby, Club King 290 with bigsby). Bought a Double Agent W a couple of months ago. Quickly became number 1.

You're right about the bass roll off. Buddy saw it and now he's hunting Reverends, too.

That is a beautiful guitar - color is gorgeous. I bet those pickups sound beefy. Enjoy!

StrangerNY likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Beautiful. I remember when these first came out, the OG run of em. I read about them in Guitar Player magazine, well before Molenda sunk that ship

I remember the same issue reviewed a Kendrick Texas Crude amp
    [​IMG]
    I remember thinking how cool would that be, the Rev into that Kendrick

4. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity

Reverends are great! This is purely personal preference, and not a knock against the brand, but the necks of the ones I've played are just a tad too skinny for me. But they are great guitars! They look amazing and sound terrific.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Groovy!

6. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I like the OPs version better than the "Re-Mastered" version of today. I didn't bother searching but am wondering if Gibson's legal team had some time to kill. The more I look at the newer one, the more it grows on me. Hell, I'd be tickled to play 'em both.
    [​IMG]

StrangerNY likes this.
  7. StrangerNY

Yeah, the offset isn't my cup of tea. And I really like the 'flat top' of the older one. It's a cool twist on the basic LP design.

I've been playing it all evening while watching the Knicks game. I really like this guitar. A lot.

- D

8. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

All things being equal besides the "updated offset/arch etc" I'll go for the style you got. I've never taken a hard look at the Reverend line up but it looks like you scored since it seems like you haven't let it rest since getting it home.
    That's a great feeling to have with a newly acquired guitar.

StrangerNY likes this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Rev makes great guitars. And that’s a great color too. Congrats.

StrangerNY likes this.
  10. StrangerNY

Most of their designs are offsets, and I'm not really an offset kind of guy. That's probably why this guitar is the only Reverend I ever wanted to own.

A couple of cool things about it - first is that Bass Contour control. I played it through my studio rig last night, and while the BCC doesn't thin out the tone at all, it knocks the low end right out. With the rig running at the edge of breakup, diming the BCC kicks it right into a real nice lead tone.

And while it resembles a Les Paul, there's a crucial difference - the headstock angle is considerably less than that of an LP. As a result, the action is a lot slinkier that an LP (I've experienced the same thing with a Norlin-era SG that I own). The string pull is closer to 'straight', so it ends up playing closer to a Strat than an LP. Pretty cool.

- D

11. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Congrats. That's a cool looking guitar.

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.