NGD! Resistence was futile

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by telepraise, Jun 16, 2019.

1. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

It's official, I'm now a strat owner. It's not like I really need another guitar, but I've been seduced by the quack. I had noticed that the new Player series were getting great reviews, only the tuners would need to be upgraded to locking tuners. I had my eye on one in olympic white. Then, somehow, I found my self looking at a Deluxe strat. Locking tuners. Vintage frets. Same great neck. A1 switch that lets you punch in the bridge pickup on positions 4 & 5 for yet more voices. Noiseless pickups, my shop where I do all my fun stuff has some serious hum in the AC, can't get rid of it, I've tried. The comparison videos make it pretty hard to tell the difference the new generation of noiseless and regular pickups. I didn't want to get involved in another mod project right now and this guitar had it all for my first strat, so I pulled the trigger.

So how does it stand up? The neck is perfect, fits my hand like a glove and really fast. The tuners are great, I was prepared to spend more than $50 on replacements. The fit and finish are flawless. The whole guitar is very comfortable, ash body with classic sunburst, under 8lbs. The noiseless pickups have got all the classic strat tones down cold and it's totally quiet, I don't know how they do it.

Some things that might steer a purist away from this model: 12 inch radius board. I was fine with this going in, almost all my guitars are 12". Makes bending a breeze. If I get into hybrid picking in the future, I may want a smaller radius. The noiseless pickups are almost devoid of hum. They are lower output though, almost to the tune of whole number on the volume knob. Not a problem for me, my DRRI finally gets to go up passed 3. They're also pretty bright compared to my tele. But then again, I'm playing through a DRRI with an alnico speaker. The tone knobs on the guitar are very usable. Overall, the sound is very clean. The Pau Ferro is an adjustment. I've never been comfortable with maple fingerboards. After 50 years of playing on ebony and pearl on acoustic instruments, my brain just has a hard time switching over. As a builder and environmentalist, I accept that we're going to get comfortable with rosewood alternatives. So I put some 800 grit on the PF before I oiled it. It was fine straight out of the box, I just like mine glassy. It feels like silk now, smoother than rosewood.

So, I'm excited about this new guitar. My weekly gig is at church and I have a specialized guitar for that purpose. The strat is my new "fun" guitar.
    P1020544.jpg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

3. Jamie_h

Jamie_h TDPRI Member

looks great!

4. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's nice!

5. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Beautiful - congrats!

6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Needs a mint pickguard.

Just kidding. It’s a beauty and is literally plug in and play. Happy New Guitar Day!

7. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I like the big 70's headstock. :cool:

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  8. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Take her to church and let her sing!

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  9. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

Very nice, congratulations! Also, band name alert - "Seduced by the Quack".

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

:cool::cool::cool:

11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Rosewood on sunburst. Beautiful.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I stand corrected...pau ferro...

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  13. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

An absolutely Brilliant Band Name, Steve!! :cool:

I'm certain that somewhere in Eugene, Oregon (college team named the "Ducks"), there's a starving musician thinkin' "Dang! Why didn't I think of that???" :lol:

And back on topic, I too have a fondness for the big headstocks of the 70s. That's a nice guitar, and glad to hear that it'll be used for your praise music. Maybe you can name your guitar "Boanerges" (means Sons of Thunder in Hebrew? Or Greek?), since Billy Gibbons took "Pearly Gates" already......

Steve 78 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.