NGD - PRS Vela

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John C, Sep 9, 2019.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I think the Vela would fill that bill. For a bit more traditional pickup set the EBMM Albert Lees are an option for that "funky futuristic space blues" - although EBMMs have gotten really pricey over the past 2-3 years.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  2. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Love that guitar. The S2 line is packed with winners in my opinion. After a short adjustment period, the neck in unbeatable. I have a Starla and love it. Congratulations!

3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Nice one! I have an S2 Mira that is a workhorse, same neck profile, same gig bag. I loved the Vela that I played, but I think it's too bad they went away from the PRS wrapaound which is just the ideal bridge for me, for palm muting comfort and simplicity.

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I think that was a relatively late in the process change for the Vela - I seem to recall somebody (Wildwood or Daves maybe) having some prototype Velas for sale with the PRS wrap bridge. But there couldn't have been more than say 10-20 of them done as a test run that PRS decided to make available to the public.

5. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Beauty! I've got a lot of love for PRS guitars. Yours looks terrific!

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

You're right; the Regular/Pattern Regular is a great neck. I've had PRS guitars off and on over the years, starting in 1992 with a CE Maple Top (back when all PRS guitars were 24-fret models), and I've found that what I really like is the feel of their 22 fret models - how they hang on me, etc. - but I like the Regular/Pattern Regular neck carve the best so the S2s really do feel right to me. I had been on the fence about getting an S2 Mira but never got around to getting one before they were discontinued.

7. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

John, are you still liking the Vela?
    Also,how are you finding the neck in terms of stickiness/glossiness?
    Hard to explain what I mean,but I’ll try - I had a satin Vela and loved it for a couple years then eventually let it go, when GAS got the better of me. I miss it now though, and always wanted one in white, but not sure if the neck will feel friction-y compared to that satin I had.
    Recent big price drops and some stuff I have read on a dealer site make me think PRS are dropping the gloss Vela model, so I can grab one now on sale (but can’t play it - too far away) or wait for the satin ones that the dealer say are coming soon. Be a shame if they are dropping these, and it seems odd they’d drop the gloss but not satin (unless the satins are a final run) and I’d like to grab one again.
    The other thing I'm considering is the semi hollow version of these, but the best deals on the UK now are only on the solid body.

8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Very interesting guitar! Fine quality too.

Felicitations to you.

9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I'm still liking it; it's a nice counterpoint to my American Performer Mustang. Admittedly if push came to shove the Vela would go and the Mustang would stay - mainly because I've played maybe 4 other American Performer Mustangs and I wouldn't have purchased any of them. I feel like I lucked out with a "good one for me", and as we all know you don't let go of a Fender that falls into that "good one for me" category.

I don't find the glossy neck very sticky at all - it's not as smooth as the satin finish on the Mustang, but it's certainly not a sticky finish.

As far as I know PRS isn't dropping the gloss finish Vela, but they are adding satin finish versions of both the solid body and semi-hollow for 2020 as full-time models (correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the satin finish Vela a limited run deal when it was out before - maybe available to order for part of a year?). They did drop all the S2 Singlecut models - at least for the time being.

Riversider likes this.
  10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Thanks! These are really fun guitars; you can cover a lot of bases with a Vela.

11. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

I have the same color Vela and I love it. It’s kind of my go to backup guitar: in one band I play mostly fenders and in the other band I play mostly Gibsons. The Vela can kind of serve as both a backup and cover the tones of either, but also offer something different.

I usually pack:

classic rock band: Les Paul 50s standard + Vela

soul/blues band: American Original 60s tele + Vela.

both those guitars are $2000 guitars and the Vela holds its own against them.

12. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

Thanks.
    Yes, my satin Vela was a limited run that last time.
    Don't want to derail this thread BUT I went out to play a vela today and then saw the new limited edition Cabronita tele that I didn't know was out...

My credit card started sweating and I have had to put all buying decisions on hold whilst I figure this out!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.